Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2014 10:10:03 PM EDT
I just picked up a WASR-10, century imported in august 2013.

Nice rifle, currently unfired.
Only thing I have done is refinish the furniture. I ordered a magpul grip but its not here yet.
It came with a sling, metal oil can, 1 metal used mag & a new tapco mag, and the bayonet with the holster.
Has the tapco single hook trigger deal, and the sights are not canted, at least not that I can measure.

Are there any 'must do' things I need to look at? Or should I just shoot the crap out of it?

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a butt-load of the cheap European mags (they are  the best ones anyway) and stockpile some ammo.

Then go shoot the hell out it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Break it down and clean any gup out that maybe on the inside, get a good PMCS/operation book on it reapply some oil/lube where the book tell's you, do a function check  and find some good info on how too zero it.  Then blaze it too hell and back and enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Break it down and clean any gup out that maybe on the inside,.
View Quote

When you think it's clean, clean it again especially the crevices. The Romanians slather the preservative on pretty thick and Century doesn't expend much effort (money) cleaning it off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When you think it's clean, clean it again especially the crevices. The Romanians slather the preservative on pretty thick and Century doesn't expend much effort (money) cleaning it off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I cleaned my AK when I brought it home just like my Mosins. Full detailed strip, set wood aside, anything that wasn't wood got a 2 day soak in mineral spirits, then to be sure I got all the cosmoline, oven treatment followed by a boiling water bath, rub down with alcohol, then deep clean/lube as you regularly would. You would be surprised at sometimes how much of a pain it is to get out every last bit of cosmoline lol
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Is a little cosmoline in a little nook or cranny or problem? (Serious question)

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya, I thought one poster was a bit over the top about cleaning. When I got my WASR, field stripped it and did a normal cleaning. 10k rounds later (and a few more cleanings), runs fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
That's is a great looking AK.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

First, preservative doesn't belong in a weapon which is not in long term storage. Murphy's Law applies to AKs just as it does to everything else. Second, it doesn't stay in the crevices. It migrates when the weapon heats up as it is fired. It then collects debris and powder fouling, making a witches' brew which is more difficult to clean. There really isn't any such thing as a free lunch. Spend some time to remove the preservative before you shoot the weapon or spend more time afterwords ...
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
You clean your ak ???  I just keep dumping mags.....
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
The only thing bad to watch for is the ammo can going empty!!  
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get a butt-load of the cheap European mags (they are  the best ones anyway) and stockpile some ammo.

Then go shoot the hell out it.
View Quote

I'm going to go with this.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]
The Magpul grip is a nice upgrade. I had to throw a washer under the bolt when I installed my grip  because the bolt seated before the handle was tightened down all the way. FYI
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. I cleaned my AK when I brought it home just like my Mosins. Full detailed strip, set wood aside, anything that wasn't wood got a 2 day soak in mineral spirits, then to be sure I got all the cosmoline, oven treatment followed by a boiling water bath, rub down with alcohol, then deep clean/lube as you regularly would. You would be surprised at sometimes how much of a pain it is to get out every last bit of cosmoline lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found shooting through all the initial malfunctions to the point of getting it hot as hell helped loosen all the Cosmo out of it.  After a couple of sessions and cleanings it runs like butter.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Only thing I have done is refinish the furniture. I ordered a magpul grip but its not here yet.
It came with a sling, metal oil can, 1 metal used mag & a new tapco mag, and the bayonet with the holster.
Has the tapco single hook trigger deal, and the sights are not canted, at least not that I can measure.

Are there any 'must do' things I need to look at? Or should I just shoot the crap out of it?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g120/grude73/73216d3aba4abbf6d110005ab15d5618_zps9d6cab41.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g120/grude73/d8a9995e80434b0eecd90ecc96667141_zps2c86df23.jpg
View Quote

Nice lookin WASR ya got there. Hopefully mine comes in soon. I ordered from Widener's last week.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g120/grude73/73216d3aba4abbf6d110005ab15d5618_zps9d6cab41.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g120/grude73/d8a9995e80434b0eecd90ecc96667141_zps2c86df23.jpg
View Quote

My WASR 10 came in and I'm gonna finish the stock set pretty soon. Yours looks nice, what stain did you use?
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top