Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/7/2014 9:20:45 PM EDT
I just picked up a Wasr 10 from classicfirearms.com. And i wanted to know if anyone knows what type i would have got. It doesn't have the markings of a 10/63( its marked on the receiver as Wasr 10 with no triangle on the trunion). But i was under the impression that all Wasrs are 10/63 or GP. And that wasr10s are know longer made.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:00:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Picked one up recently and I was wondering this as well. Same exact deal.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps Cugir is back to making rifles with new parts.

What is the date of manufacture?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
For those of you that have gotten new ones,does the top cover match the bolt, bolt carrier? Thinking about picking one up just curious.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
When i get mine in i'll throw some pictures up and answer any questions. Is there anything in specific you guys want me to take a pic of or look for?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The Wasr I bought in December was a 10/63 and had the triangle with an arrow in it dated like 1974 I think. It's one of the best WASR's I've ever seen and I went through about 10 different places and probably 100 different WASR's before I settled on this one. The new ones are a

lot better AK than just a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked one up  a few weeks ago. No triangle and no matching numbers as far as I can see. Also the front sight is a bit canted. Not really bad but it is noticeable. I have not been able to see how it runs yet which is the most important thing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
They used to all be made from parts kits but I think the kits are becoming less and less now. Century is making a lot of different Romanians with the US made receiver and barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They used to all be made from parts kits but I think the kits are becoming less and less now. Century is making a lot of different Romanians with the US made receiver and barrel.
View Quote

Century does not make WASR AKs. The WASR is made in Romania. Century imports it, opens the mag well and installs a U.S. grip, gas piston, muzzle brake, hammer,trigger and disconnector.

OP my new WASR says WASR-10 on the side of the receiver. They dropped the 63 part. I recently bought a new WASR, my first WASR and I was surprised how nice it is for 500 bucks. Everything is straight, no canting at all. The wood they come with now is pretty nice, just needs a light sanding and finish. Mine doesn't have  a triangle marked trunnion but  I really don't care, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. All of my parts are marked and match. I had to clean a lot of steel chips from the receiver, chamber, bore and gas tube but no big deal. Mine even came with the cleaning kit,oil bottle and surplus green leather sling.

I've owned every AK that has every been imported except a WASR. I'm going to run this thing hard and see how she does.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Century does not make WASR AKs. The WASR is made in Romania. Century imports it, opens the mag well and installs a U.S. grip, gas piston, muzzle brake, hammer,trigger and disconnector.

OP my new WASR says WASR-10 on the side of the receiver. They dropped the 63 part. I recently bought a new WASR, my first WASR and I was surprised how nice it is for 500 bucks. Everything is straight, no canting at all. The wood they come with now is pretty nice, just needs a light sanding and finish. Mine doesn't have  a triangle marked trunnion but  I really don't care, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. All of my parts are marked and match. I had to clean a lot of steel chips from the receiver, chamber, bore and gas tube but no big deal. Mine even came with the cleaning kit,oil bottle and surplus green leather sling.

I've owned every AK that has every been imported except a WASR. I'm going to run this thing hard and see how she does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you shoot it for groups yet? I've got mine and i'm getting some pretty awful accruacy. I've been trying for a 50yd zero and i'm getting about 8 groups. I mean i'm bad but didn't think i sucked that much. I tried at 25yd bench rest and got a 2 inch group with a flier that was like 7 inches away.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I just put some money down on one at my former work/ffl.  they ordered 3 small batches of them for the shop from RSR distributor (http://www.rsrgroup.com/catalog/product/CARI1188N).  They had a few left, most of the current shop employees bought one for themselves, I figured I might as well grab one too since I had not bought from them since I moved out of town.

the current batch were dated from the mid 1960s (1964) w/ triangle, GP 10/63 designation on the side of receiver up to the late 1980s (1988), all had triangles, all were designated as GP 10/63 on receivers.

All came from RSR from CAI with 1 bayonet, 2 metal mags, w/ slant brake, G2 trigger, bayo lug.  no cleaning rod and no cleaning kit.

the one I picked out was a 1976, looked to be the straightest of the bunch left over (only a few, they had been selling like hotcakes).   I should pick it up next friday, i honestly didnt look to see if numbers matched everywhere, stupid I know, i was more concerned with gas block and FS being straight than the numbers.  But I will take a guess and say most likely they are numbers matching on the newer ones.  Quality overall seems to have improved on them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you shoot it for groups yet? I've got mine and i'm getting some pretty awful accruacy. I've been trying for a 50yd zero and i'm getting about 8 groups. I mean i'm bad but didn't think i sucked that much. I tried at 25yd bench rest and got a 2 inch group with a flier that was like 7 inches away.
View Quote

I've had mine for about 5 years, have shot several thousand rounds thru it. They aren't all that accurate to begin with, but when the barrel gets hot, I get the accuracy you describe above..
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've had mine for about 5 years, have shot several thousand rounds thru it. They aren't all that accurate to begin with, but when the barrel gets hot, I get the accuracy you describe above..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

O thanks my barrel was getting pretty hot. The last 7.62x39 gun i owned as a SGL21 so i didn't have a good idea about what kind of accuracy i could expect. I mean i didn't expect sgl accuracy i was guessing 4 moa gun. Seams i set my sights a little high
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet because I've been so busy and it's been raining hard on my day off. I'll let you know when I shoot mine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently picked up two of these "new" WASR 10s. Neither had the triangle imprint, but both had complete matching serial #'s (bolt, bolt carrier, dust cover, etc.. everything matched). I was very pleased with that. At first appearance they looked like your standard WASR 10/63 with slightly better wood furniture with the typical black plastic pistol grip.

They came standard with the tapco g2 trigger (which most of us are accustom to), along with a slant brake and bayonet lug.

In terms of accessories, it came with 2 30rd mags (1 steel, 1 older style tapco), along with an oil bottle, bayonet w/sheath and sheath holster (yes, a sheath holster... never encountered one of these before but it came with the rifle, see pic). Also included was a typical Romanian ak sling and a ak tube cleaning kit for the buttstock. I also grabbed a Korean drum mag for $50 with the purchase of the gun. I've had good luck with the Korean drums personally. The drum was pitch black, unlike any of my other Korean drums. I have no idea why??

Anyway, the rifle felt solid. No rattling with either rifle (without mag). The action was typical Romanian WASR, a little rougher than I like and the bolt catches if you let up gently on the action. A slight shake forward and the action charges into place. There was definite mag wobble with the steel mag. I'm sure it will work fine, but definite wobble. The tapco mag fit like a glove (not to tight, just right). The sights on one was perfect, spot on perfect. The other had a slight cant to the shooters left but should be fixable by adjusting the front sight post accordingly.

In closing, it's no arsenal sgl21. I love my arsenal sgl21 and it's action is smooth as butter. Maybe if I do a little polishing I can stop the action from being so sticky. A combination of being broke in and polishing should make it feel better. Considering it's more for feel than reliability, it really doesn't matter. This thing will undoubtedly be 100% reliable. All in all, this whole package cost me just over $570 including the drum, shipping and FFL costs. It's hard to beat that deal.

I'll follow up with a range report and anything else worth mentioning after I take this out next week if anyone's interested.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#15]
good description, I have been planning on getting an ak and I think this will be the one for me..
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I recently picked up two of these "new" WASR 10s. Neither had the triangle imprint, but both had complete matching serial #'s (bolt, bolt carrier, dust cover, etc.. everything matched). I was very pleased with that. At first appearance they looked like your standard WASR 10/63 with slightly better wood furniture with the typical black plastic pistol grip.
View Quote

Nice, where to did you order from?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got two of these myself. Exact same as ronaproject except for the 75-round drum. I couldn't be happier. Fit and finish is excellent. No cant to the sights. The action is not as smooth as my SLR 107FR but it's pretty damn close. I'm thinking I should buy two more of these for the safe as an investment. You never know what could happen if "Granny Cankles" Clinton ends up buying herself the presidency in 2016. Might be hard to come by at the price I paid for these two.

I bought mine from a small shop in Parker, Colorado named Front Range Armory. Awesome service, great prices, free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I picked up my WASR 10 new last year, sights are straight, steel mags are tight, good groups at 100 yards with an el cheapo UTG side mount and an even cheaper NC Star compact scope. Furniture was nothing to brag about but a little light sanding & linseed oil made a big improvement. My action was also rough at first, when easing bolt forward it could be made to hang up but operated fine. I used some Eagle one polish wadding to smooth it out. No triangle on trunion and is marked WASR 10. Haven't checked if all s/n match, not concerned with that. Parkerized finish is thin and scratches easily, much like a Rock Island Armory 1911, so I keep mine well oiled. Overall a lighter package than any other AK I've picked up and more accurate than most. For what I'd have paid for an Arsenal I got this and had enough left over for a VZ-58.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine came in from Classic this week.  It's 2014 production and does not have laminate wood and no trapdoor for the cleaning kit.  It came with one surplus steel mag, one Tapco mag, and a bayonet with frog.  I bought three WASRs back around 2006 and they were not nearly as nice as my new one.  The machine work, fit and finish is much improved.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got one this week. Not sure of when produced. Mine has the triangle. Sights are straight and very little wobble with the one tapco mag that was included. Can with the bayonet. First AK ever. And I'm happy with what I got.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:58:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Hope no one gets mad that I brought this older thread up. I just purchased a Wasr-10 as well and am trying to learn more about them. Someone on the Fb group said if it says Wasr-10 instead of Wasr10/63, then it's an older poorly built rifle compared to a 10/63 and that Wasr-10s have been discontinued. Is that true? Serial numbers are all matching at 1-91571-12 RO. Would '71 be the year it was built in Romania?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#22]
12 should be the year and I think they have that backwards... The older ones are the 10/63 (GP).
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:19:31 AM EDT
[#23]
So mine should be one of the newer better built Wasr's that have been coming out lately? Other side of the rifle says Romarm/Cugir Romania CAI Georgia, VT. It has absolutely no mag wobble from left to right with the one metal mag that was supplied with the rifle. I was surprised by that. And came with a bayonet
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Picked up a new WASR 10 friday night, beautiful finished blonde furniture but it had no bayonet. Everything is straight and a really nicely finished rifle. I have seen the newer ones with the hardwood furniture that was unfinished so this is what surprised me with my latest.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got mine as well from Classic.  Question, the compensator is threaded on, it seems there is a spring detent that hold it tight so to say however it is still loose on mine.  Meaning, if I hand tighten as much as I can  then the recess that would be engaged by the detent would be past the spring detent and will not engage.  Translation, it is not fully hand tight, is this an issue?  Makes me nervous.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#26]
WASR-10s used to be made from all new parts, starting in the early 2000s, when the SAR-1s were being phased out.  For a while after the barrel ban was implemented, they started making the "10/63," which was made from parts kits.  Now, they are appear to be made from new parts again.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#27]
The one I just got seems all new.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just got mine as well from Classic.  Question, the compensator is threaded on, it seems there is a spring detent that hold it tight so to say however it is still loose on mine.  Meaning, if I hand tighten as much as I can  then the recess that would be engaged by the detent would be past the spring detent and will not engage.  Translation, it is not fully hand tight, is this an issue?  Makes me nervous.  Thanks!
View Quote

Loose fit is normal, does not affect function or accuracy. I filed the back of mine down til I could rotate it another full turn for a tight fit although after a few trips to the range it's started to loosen up again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's fine, mine won't get that tight as well. Shoot it and have some fun..
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I think a nice feature of the new ones is that the stocks are solid beech, not laminated plywood. Perhaps not "traditional" enough looking for some, but overall just nicer looking IMNSHO.

- OS
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a 10/63,with the arrow and triangle on the trunnion about 5 years ago. Everything is straight and all numbers match, except for the topcover. Accuracy is great as long as I'm not doing mag dumps with drums. That's when the groups open up on mine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like a parts kit from an export Romanian Ak kit, pretty common for the 10/63 recently, if its numbers matching your ahead of the game.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top