AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, i might get a new sling but i want the new rubbers on the scope, would think new ones would fit tighter?

on my scope, the front tube moves in and out and twist locks, is that a sun shade or what?

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, it's a sunshade.

As far as replacement rubber, probably won't fit any tighter, the eye cup is meant as a cushion and eye shade, not to seal.  The Lens cap might fit tighter if new.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah, i might get a new sling but i want the new rubbers on the scope, would think new ones would fit tighter?

on my scope, the front tube moves in and out and twist locks, is that a sun shade or what?

View Quote

That rubber eye-piece is a bitch to use, I had better luck taking it off.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
i would like to have the eye-piece that is angled.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Mags run $60-80 each when you can find them,
View Quote

APEX has mags for $45 and $55 for "excellent"  had them for weeks without running out ... must have a butt load

APEX mag link

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i would like to have the eye-piece that is angled.
View Quote

Kalinka.com
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

APEX has mags for $45 and $55 for "excellent"  had them for weeks without running out ... must have a butt load

APEX mag link

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Mags run $60-80 each when you can find them,

APEX mag link

I suppose the days of 4 mags in a quad-mag pouch for $99 a long over...glad I got in on that. Maybe I should sell a couple of mine....hmmm
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I suppose the days of 4 mags in a quad-mag pouch for $99 a long over...glad I got in on that. Maybe I should sell a couple of mine....hmmm
View Quote

and if you do sell one, how much you asking? i dont think i need more then 2 mags do i, especially 4 more?
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#10]
since my magazines dont match i put them up over on the mag database
to see if i can find the right ones for my rifle and if i can help out someone else with the mags i have.
its a pretty cool database and i hope more people start doing it so everyone can have matching mags!
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure you already got your answer but if you want one, get it regardless of what kind of accuracy it will have.  As long as you recognize these things were meant for the battlefield rather than to shoot metal sillouette targets they're fun to shoot.  Plus they're sexy looking as hell.   They're essentially what Lugers would be if they were rifles, and you don't see anyone making soul searching decisions on whether to buy a Luger or not.

If you do get one, swap out the 4x scope and replace it with an 8x scope from Kalinka optics.  HUGE improvement.

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah, i would like to have a more powerful scope on my gun but cant decide if i should get something 'original' or contemporary??
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
yeah, i would like to have a more powerful scope on my gun but cant decide if i should get something 'original' or contemporary??
View Quote

My experience with the PSO 8x is that it is an improvement over the 4x, but it only has $200 worth of glass.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#14]
im surprised how clear the glass is in my scope, is there any way to know the year it was made?

how many different models of scopes were made for the PSL? is any one scope better then the other?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Where do you get the correct cheek pad riser for the stock?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where do you get the correct cheek pad riser for the stock?
View Quote

There is no "correct" riser for the PSL (they were never supplied with one), but if you see one you like ask the person who posted the pic of their gun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
im surprised how clear the glass is in my scope, is there any way to know the year it was made?

how many different models of scopes were made for the PSL? is any one scope better then the other?
View Quote

If I remember correctly, there is a date code on the scope itself.  My 4x scope was made in like 1976.  Turns out, it even had tritium (or whatever the Eastern Blok equivalent was) inserts in it.  But, they're long dead.  I believe I came across that info when I was digging up info on the scope in general, like how to adjust it, translate the Romanian words, etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

and if you do sell one, how much you asking? i dont think i need more then 2 mags do i, especially 4 more?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much like the rifle, I probably wouldn't actually sell them.

I need to get to that mag database.  Maybe I can trade them around for the right serial numbers...
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only 2 scopes were made for the PSL.  The original black battery powered LPS and the later grey tritium illuminated LPS Tip 2 (there are some interim versions, but they are rare).

The original battery powered scopes originally had an infrared detector shutter and are highly sought after by collectors if they have the shutter intact.  Most have been neutered and a plug put in the shutter lever hole.  These also had a front lens cover holder.  With an active IR detector and lens holder, expect to pay $300+ for one of these.

The Tip2's had a low level radioactive element that made a ring glow inside the scope to illuminate the reticle, but the half life of the radioactive source expired on these 15 years or more ago and they are all dark at night. There were some export model Tip2's with English text on the elevation and windage knobs. Tip2's are still hovering around $100  Ignore the rear lens cover on the front lens in this pic ... as you can see, it doesn't really fit.

http://www.dragunov.net/optic_lps.html

I have one of each and do not see any particular difference between the quality of them.  There may be a slight edge in the sharpness of the reticle markings on the original, but I have had Tip2's that varied in glass quality.

I also have an original Russian PSO.  Its definitely better glass with smaller shaper reticle marking.

My gun came with a Russian 6x with the German style T reticle.  The glass in this scope is excellent.  I can shoot as well with the 6x as I can with a brand new 8x with the adjustable diopter.

The best place to find new scopes for PSL's and incidental widgets and accessories is kalinka.com
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#20]
well i hit the range yesterday and got to put some 54R downrange and it was a lot of fun shooting!
damn thing is loud and powerful, big kick too so it was hard trying to sight in. i couldnt get on paper at first at 50yds so was shooting into the berm at 100yds and i couldnt see where i was hitting because the kick would knock the eyepiece into me and took a few seconds to regroup my wits but my buddy was with me so he could see where i was hitting, got adjusted a bit and got on paper and then hitting the x-ring but didnt take long for barrel to heat up and i figured when it heated up and started throwing lead around it would be high or low but it was to the left? bad thing is im at the end of adjustment for windage, just ran out of clicks so whats up with that?

both mags worked perfect since they werent number matching so i was happy about that and the surplus ammo shot flawlessly so was also happy about that.

i think i will save up and get a good kalinka scope but keep mine in case i sell the rifle some day or would gun value stay the same or improve if i sold the original scope and just have the better kalinka on??

OH, and WTF is up with the barbwire shit thats wrapped around the trigger assembly???
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#21]
The Tip2's are worth about $100 and at this time widely available.  Not going to change the value of the gun much in any direction.

The "wire" is the trigger spring
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 3:44:24 AM EDT
[#22]
are all trigger springs like that on PSL's & AK's?

does anyone make a nice trigger that just drops in and doesnt need that type of spring??

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

does anyone make a nice trigger that just drops in and doesnt need that type of spring??

View Quote

Exact same trigger in the AK and PSL. Red Star Arms make an adjustable AK trigger.
http://www.redstararms.com/1136.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exact same trigger in the AK and PSL. Red Star Arms make an adjustable AK trigger.
http://www.redstararms.com/1136.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Best way to reduce noise and recoil....

Suppress it!

Enjoy your PSL, I love mine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes as above all PSL & AK trigger springs are like that.  If you don't like it, you don't want a PSL.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Wait till he figures out the shepherd's crook
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#28]
does anyone make a good drop in trigger thats short & smooth?

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
does anyone make a good drop in trigger thats short & smooth?

View Quote

You can adjust the RSA trigger.  That's about all you are going to get.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

any info on how???

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

any info on how???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any info on how???

It has adjustment screws and instructions.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Some of the roughness of the AK type trigger is not in parts that most people associate with smooth trigger pull.  Even the best internal components won't smooth an AK type trigger with a rough axis pin or if the trigger itself is rough and drags on the trigger well.  

There's a lot more to it than parts that can just be dropped in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
bad thing is im at the end of adjustment for windage, just ran out of clicks so whats up with that?
View Quote

I'd love to know the answer to this one.
My scope is out of windage as well.

My guess is because the crappy mount doesn't put the scope over the center line of the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My guess is because the crappy mount doesn't put the scope over the center line of the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bad thing is im at the end of adjustment for windage, just ran out of clicks so whats up with that?

You want to zero so that the round strikes slightly offset from your point of aim, by an amount equal to the scopes lateral offset.

However, this doesn't explain your windage probem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#35]
You want to zero so that the round strikes slightly offset from your point of aim, by an amount equal to the scopes lateral offset.
View Quote

That would be 5/8 of an inch.  Unless you are shooting 25 yards, the cartridges are less accurate than that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with the scope not being centered over the bore.  Most other PSL/scope pairs work well.

Have either of you tried releasing the graduation can/sleeve from the cam?

Who built these guns?  TGI?  Cugir?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That would be 5/8 of an inch.  Unless you are shooting 25 yards, the cartridges are less accurate than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

5/8 is what I use too.  If you do your initial zero at 25meters, you'll be almost 2 inches right at 100, at 300 the error would be pushing 7 inches.  

Shoot 10 round groups.  Most of your rounds will cluster in the center.  You can identify the center of the group well enough to try to account for that 5/8".
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#38]
That works for me.  

5/8 left at 25 and forever.  At 100, the 5/8 will be the center of a 2 MOA group spread out to  2", 4" @ 200 and 6" @300.   A WAG guess at an average 5 shot 2 MOA 300m spread: 1 @ 3" high or low, 2 @ 2.4" left and 2 @ 3.5" right.  They would all hit a face or lung.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#39]
In Russia trigger pull is long and rough. All Russians like it long and rough.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with the scope not being centered over the bore.  Most other PSL/scope pairs work well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mine has Cugir on the side

do you mean unscrewing the graduation can and moving it? like the new scopes where you just pull out on the can, turn it and drop it back down to lock?
if so, i didnt try doing that but if thats what you meant i will give it a try and it should certianly work!

i have taken my PSL out several times now and absolutely love shooting it and its so damn accurate its unreal!!  
i have it sighted in at 50 yds and i can have a ten shot group the size of a silver dollar with many rounds just going in the same hole over & over!

but what really cracks me up is how far mine will eject the spent cases, it spits them out between 25-40 feet. is that normal?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

What would this do?
If you are maxed out on the adjustment it is maxed out.
Are there stops on the can/sleeve or something?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#42]
i will have to look but its very possible there are stops on the can or inside.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I have run into the windage issue on a couple of Romanian scopes, one on a scope of my own, another on a different forum. They can be shimmed after loosening a couple little screws above the clamp. Funny thing is the scope will usually work as-is on another rifle. Like anything built in a factory, tolerance overlap will invariably create inconsistent results.

The PSL trigger can be modified to produce a very sweet pull with minimal take up and over-travel, I add two set screws to mine, one in front of the trigger to adjust the disconnector and another at the rear of the trigger to adjust take-up. A little polishing and fitting goes a long way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The PSL trigger can be modified to produce a very sweet pull with minimal take up and over-travel, I add two set screws to mine, one in front of the trigger to adjust the disconnector and another at the rear of the trigger to adjust take-up. A little polishing and fitting goes a long way.
View Quote

any chance of getting some pictures of your trigger assembly??
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Warning! Making trigger mods can be dangerous! 98% of the people reading this should look away.  Now that that's out of the way:

Normally I use a 4-40 set screw in the front but I broke a drill bit off in this one and after removing it had to step it up to a larger size.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What would this do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would this do?

The graduated sleeve on the PSL scope is pinned.  You don't zero these scopes by twisting the knob like on a modern scope.   There is WAY more reticle adjustment than the graduations would lead you to believe.

WARNING: The adjustments are VERY COARSE, and easy to overshoot.

Loosen the two screws on the turret cap, DO NOT REMOVE THEM, and try to center your windage drum without turning the top of the cap.  If you're pretty close to a zero windage, this will center your range back up and you can either snug the screws back down and go as you were, or make small adjustments while keeping the drum centered.

For Elevation, the scope should be zeroed with the drum set to zero and shooting at a target @100m. 100yards will get you close, but be aware there is a slight difference.  Once the scope is zeroed @100, each number increment will set your elevation for an ADDITIONAL 100m with no holdover.

I don't zero for the offset of the scope to the bore, because once your elevation zero and windage zero at 100 is set, you can adjust with one click on each turret and still be center of target at the range you're shooting, if your ammo is up to it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#47]
3 inch groups slow slow slow fire. Verticle stringing after third round. Will not shoot 150gr well.

Not a sniper rifle. A designated marksman in a squad of AKs. Their 200yd max fire mixed with 400 yd fairly accurate PSL fire.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I think you made a great choice in purchasing a PSL.  I have three.  My first appears to be a Cugir built TGI import and operates perfectly.  The second I built from a 1978 very lightly used parts kit on a Romanian receiver.  I built the second rifle using the specs from the first and it operates perfectly - both rifles accept any mags.  The third is a pristine parts kit, which I am in the process of building on a Romanian receiver specked to the first two rifles.  The first rifle has some modifications: 1. I have tapped and use a set screw in the gas block to reduce gas pressure, which reduces case damage and barrel whip.  The second modification is very, minor, an AK recoil buffer.  The third is a SWFA SS 12x42 scope on a Belarus mount (centered over bore) and a scope level.  I have shot many varieties of commercial and surplus ammo through this rifle.  The best results are with 174gr (I have no problems with this weight with the modifications noted) MKs in S&B ammo, as well as 174gr Wolf.  These shoot MOA +/-. Soviet 81'/82' shoots the worst.  Tons of variation in weight and powder loads in this ammo.  I will be picking up some Czech ammo to try in a week and am interested to see how this shoots.
Another mod, which I am eager to try is to have the barrel Cryo treated.  Reports I have seen indicate that this reduces stringing in addition to the de-stressing and increased longevity of the barrel.  I do not agree that the Romanian built rifles are necessarily better operating than domestically built rifles.  I have seen issues with both and as my experience with my own rifles indicates both can operate perfectly.  The kit I completed had canted sights, which I was able to correct during the build.  This was an original build issue, that may or may not have been intended.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#49]
PSLs are kind of my pet platform and I've noticed that the market price appears to be increasing lately, tapering off a bit from a recent high (my thoughts are the prominence of the PSL in the American Sniper movie.)For a discussion of whether or not this is a DMR or a sniper rifle, I think Mac on The Military Arms Channel (Youtube) makes the best argument.  These rifles generate a lot of interest and are a great deal of fun to shoot.  The performance of the rifle, in my experience and really as a matter of common sense, is most determined by having the rifle spec'd correctly and the ammo you shoot.  Most surplus is basically machine gun ammo with high degrees of variation.  That said, it is not a match rifle.  It is a military rifle, but its use in many parts of the world is in fact is as a sniper rifle, as well as a DMR.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top