Author
Posted: 3/25/2012 5:54:07 AM EST
Yea it was a little work but having one of the best aviation welders for a friend helped. This thing is rock solid! The stock was an OIF bring back and it is nice to put the parts back into service. I need some opinions on how to finish this rifle. The welded up rivet holes from the old trunion are still in the white, I plan to have Chris Peters from Metaloy hard chrome the bolt. I'm up in the air about going with an off the wall color for the remaining metal or just finishing it in black. Also, I would like some opinions on furniture. Should I track down traditional Bakelite, or go with rubber Hogue stuff?

A gun in the hands of a free man frightens and angers the autocrat; not because he fears the power of the gun, but, rather, the spirit of the man holding it. - Unknown
rcpd34
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/25/2012 7:23:53 AM EST
I'm in the same boat you are; subscribed.
aperdue
I like tater tots!!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/25/2012 10:20:38 AM EST
I would go with black. BTW, that conversion looks great!!
TENNESSEE SQUIRE
Dillo Herder
Sometimes a certain gift horse might be in the mood to drop the only golden turd you'll find. - FiftyCalAl
Liquidmetal
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/25/2012 10:41:50 AM EST
I'd leave the folder as-is and do a BFPU look on the rest of the rifle.
A 9mm might expand to .45, but a .45 will never shrink to 9mm.
Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
glockfan68
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/26/2012 12:40:00 PM EST
Thanks for the thoughts so far. I must admit that somehow finishing this rifle as if were a BFPU just seems right. What about furnishings then? Bakelite?
A gun in the hands of a free man frightens and angers the autocrat; not because he fears the power of the gun, but, rather, the spirit of the man holding it. - Unknown
drobs
Contractor
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/4/2012 5:49:51 AM EST
I like the worn look but some day need to refinish this home built Romy, Yugo UF of mine.

Regards,
PreemptiveStrike
Having "one of those days"
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/4/2012 1:52:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By Liquidmetal:
I'd leave the folder as-is and do a BFPU look on the rest of the rifle.

This.
-There are no such things as heroes. There are only those who do what needs to be done when nobody else will.
-The armed citizen.......Americas original homeland security
-General Discussion = the toilet of ARFCOM
-LIVE FREE OR DIE
glockfan68
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/27/2012 1:11:53 PM EST
Not to revive an old thread but here is how my finish turned out... Much appreciation to Chris Peters at Metaloy Industries in Berryville, AR for his work!

mbgayle
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/29/2012 6:29:13 PM EST
That looks really good. I've always liked the look of the underfolders, and seriously debated getting one when I picked up my AK. I ended up with a regular WASR, but I keep thinking about that underfolder. Maybe next gun show...
_Ninja_
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/30/2012 4:15:55 AM EST
Awesome, I've been thinking of doing this to my Romy and I will definitely be using this thread. Thanks!
glockfan68
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/3/2012 4:10:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By _Ninja_:
Awesome, I've been thinking of doing this to my Romy and I will definitely be using this thread. Thanks!

Any questions regarding the conversion, please get with me... It was easier than you might imagine. The finish work was done by Metaloy Industries...

Kapture1
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2012 2:57:14 PM EST
That looks good. I plan on doing that and registering it as a MI pistol.
"When injustice becomes law, Resistance becomes Duty"
-Jefferson
glockfan68
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2012 3:16:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kapture1:
That looks good. I plan on doing that and registering it as a MI pistol.

This one just makes the minimum 26" overall length when folded, so you may be OK with it as a rifle.
Black-Lions
Gator
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/14/2012 6:12:09 AM EST
you need the backwards donk grip on it now.
Make Go Bang !

Black Lions.
2nd/28th Inf. Regiment.
Vet 1976 - 1978
Snot-Rocket
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/20/2012 6:29:52 PM EST
That looks really good - and that's coming from a guy that likes original looks & Bakelite grips.