BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
After a quick bolt polishing sesssion..... Im thinking about re finishing the wood.... but I kinda dig it how it is already.... your thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]

PSL 54C Running a Chinese PSO with IR Detector,

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 9/23/2010 5:33:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ch139] [#4]
Got the kit and got the receiver and this is what I want to build...

...this one is not mine, belongs to a friend, but is a blast to shoot. Think I'd like to have wood on the back end as I'm not too fond of the folder with the 54R.
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 4:08:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deussne] [#6]
Great pics everyone. Here is my PSL

It is work in progress. I still need to shorten the barrel to 19" Add an AK-74 FSB without the 24x1.5mm thread adapter. Then add a Tabuk Flash hider, that way I can have a bayonet.
Then its time for some Duracoat. As far as optics go. I still have to do some work on a rail.

This is what it use to look like.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#8]
very nice pics, fellas...i will be getting mine tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Fixed something.

Link Posted: 10/31/2010 8:03:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: josey1450] [#10]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, nice job Deusne! tell me, how much trouble ws removing the set pins on the front gasblock? I went with the ace clamp on FS after several attempts to non-detructively remove the ones on my frontsight and bayo lug.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 11/6/2010 8:05:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskey44] [#13]
Here's mine

Link Posted: 11/6/2010 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Raptor1911:
Wow, nice job Deusne! tell me, how much trouble ws removing the set pins on the front gasblock? I went with the ace clamp on FS after several attempts to non-detructively remove the ones on my frontsight and bayo lug.

I had no problems taking out pins, however, I wanted a shorter barrel so I just cut that section off. The gas block came off no problem. I took my front sight, cut off the upper part, and re/welded it to the gas block. This took forever because I had to get it lined up perfectly and then grind my welds to fit the contours etc.

I must say I am extremely happy with this rifle. A friend of mine asked me how long I am going to keep it? Thats because I go though them like they are bills in your wallet. Constantly buying/selling. Well my answer to him was: "This one is staying in my safe till someone pry it out of my hands." He replied: "Wow must be a good one!"

One thing that I am kicking around an idea of. Is adding a fake suppressor basically an oversized linear compensator. I got one the other day, I am going to try it on some other ak before I cut/thread my barrel for it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#15]
cool beans, from here it looked like you used as Krink FSB/gasblock combo. Very nice use of the standard Front Sight on the gas block!
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Some very nice weapons in here
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 12:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCMoney] [#17]
Old pic, didnt know a New pic thread was started.

Link Posted: 11/23/2010 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 11:25:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Liquidmetal] [#19]
TGI FPK with a PSO 3-9x24 scope.  I'm gonna replace the pistol grip with something more ergonomic (M76 pistol grip probably) in the near future.

ETA:  Replaced the pistol grip with a M76 grip from Ironwood Designs.  Looks and feels much better than the AMD-wannabe grip that was on it:

Link Posted: 11/26/2010 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Apex has the original stocks on sale
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Deussne:
Great pics everyone. Here is my PSL
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/Deussne/Gun%20collection/PSL/IMG_3514.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/Deussne/Gun%20collection/PSL/IMG_3513.jpg
It is work in progress. I still need to shorten the barrel to 19" Add an AK-74 FSB without the 24x1.5mm thread adapter. Then add a Tabuk Flash hider, that way I can have a bayonet.
Then its time for some Duracoat. As far as optics go. I still have to do some work on a rail.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/Deussne/Gun%20collection/IMG_1492.jpg

This is what it use to look like.http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/Deussne/Gun%20collection/PSL/IMG_2089.jpg

What wood is this? Custom made or purchased?

Thats going to be an awesome rifle when its done.

Link Posted: 1/2/2011 9:02:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sarge1119] [#23]
Raptor1911's PSL is what inspired me. I used two different stains on the stock to give it that "war torn" look. I Finally got up the nerve to do the barrel chop yesterday. Turned out great. The only hard part was re-crowning the barrel but it came out perfect. Now to add an Ace clamp on front sight and thread the barrel for a .308 PWS. Can anyone recommend the best trigger work and/or replacement? The stock trigger sucks.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I just had to have this lower handguard, after fitting it and making the gas tube fit I was going to make a top cover for the gas tube welded inplace out of an extra PSL receiver cover but once I thought about it a bit more I searched out some tiger maple blanks from a local custom wood working shop. I fabricated the top piece which still needs a bit of fitting but I think it came out nearly perfect and I even got the grain and tiger striping to match pretty nicely even though it's hard to see in it's unfinished state.

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jonmalibuss:
I just had to have this lower handguard, after fitting it and making the gas tube fit I was going to make a top cover for the gas tube welded inplace out of an extra PSL receiver cover but once I thought about it a bit more I searched out some tiger maple blanks from a local custom wood working shop. I fabricated the top piece which still needs a bit of fitting but I think it came out nearly perfect and I even got the grain and tiger striping to match pretty nicely even though it's hard to see in it's unfinished state.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/jonmalibuss/2011-01-02_19-46-30_173.jpg?t=1294036290
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/jonmalibuss/2011-01-02_19-45-14_511.jpg?t=1294036364
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/jonmalibuss/2011-01-02_19-44-33_250.jpg?t=1294036423

That is going to look great when you're done.  got time to make a 2nd?
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks but I'm thinking one is going to be enough for me this is all done by hand.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bh_4000] [#27]
I made an adapter kit to allow the PSL to accept SVD Dragunov handguards. It was alot of work, but I am very happy with the results:

Rifle:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/bh_4000/PSL/rifle-1.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/bh_4000/PSL/rifle_noscope.jpg

More Info Here:
http://thedsmlab.com/psl_to_svd_adapter.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bh_4000:
I made an adapter kit to allow the PSL to accept SVD Dragunov handguards. It was alot of work, but I am very happy with the results:

Rifle:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/bh_4000/PSL/rifle.jpg

I have some more build photos here:
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/bh_4000/PSL/

Very cool.  Gonna make any for those of us who are mechanically challenged?

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Very cool.  Gonna make any for those of us who are mechanically challenged?

Yes, I have started a simple webpage and am offering the adapter kit for sale.  There is also a instruction manual on the webpage so you can get a feel for what is involved.  Can I post a link to the website here?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:44:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jonmalibuss] [#30]
not really sure if I can post this here without confusing people but here is my latest build! Im calling it the Yugo 54R

Update on the PSL with Rhineland Arms SVD handguard and custom gas tube with top cover.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jonmalibuss:
not really sure if I can post this here without confusing people but here is my latest build! Im calling it the Yugo 54R
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/jonmalibuss/2011-01-21_17-44-07_746.jpg?t=1295847763
Update on the PSL with Rhineland Arms SVD handguard and custom gas tube with top cover.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/jonmalibuss/2011-01-20_16-52-10_947.jpg?t=1295847964

Whoa, care to share the details on Yugo 54R?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 10:02:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonmalibuss] [#33]
Ohh sorry I thought I posted the specs.

The barrel, carrier and bolt are PSL with the receiver being a cold steel solutions 80% which took a bit of extra work to fit the Yugo rear trunnion and fixed stock with the pistol grip. It's been extended by about 1/2" or so and I made the support plates to fit.

Oh yeah the rear sight is still the PSL sight block reprofiled and moved to the rear about 5/8" or so with a Yugo leaf for the night sights.

The PSL barrel has been cut to 16.250" and profiled to match a Yugo barrel and fit the Yugo parts.

The top cover is made up of two Yugo top covers welded together and filed straight.

the front trunnion is a Yugo m70 ab2
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I may get a Tabuk flashhider from NDS just like the one on my PSL but I need to shoot it first.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bh_4000:

Rifle:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/bh_4000/PSL/rifle-1.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/bh_4000/PSL/rifle_noscope.jpg

Stop giving me more reasons to buy one!

...But please make and sell these... seriously, awesome idea!
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#36]
My new to me PSL-54C and a 558 yard group.

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#37]
My stepson putting some rounds down range

...and yeah...don't stand there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#38]

That's pretty impressive...but you need ten round groups to get any cred around here
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Rick_A:

That's pretty impressive...but you need ten round groups to get any cred around here

lol that 10 shots would need to be in 30 degree weather and probably 30 seconds or better apart for it to have any hopes of keeping them on target. It seems to hold good for 5 back to back shots but after 5 she starts climbing vertical. I'll shoot a 10 round group at that distance and it will be half of that, but it isn't going to be with the PSL. I'm very happy with the rifle though I wasn't expecting it to shoot this well at all, everybody says they shoot 2-3MOA with ball and thats exactly what my friends shoots. I'm going to try the wolf and PRVI aswell aswell and maybe some handloads, but I'm not expecting anything better than that from it. One problem I had shooting it today was it kept feeding the bullet down into the front of the mag and it would hang up. It needs a cheek pad of some sort really badly, and a rubber butt pad that will also give it some LOP. The ergonomics are horrible but I bought it knowing that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 3:28:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 300ultramag:

lol that 10 shots would need to be in 30 degree weather and probably 30 seconds or better apart for it to have any hopes of keeping them on target. It seems to hold good for 5 back to back shots but after 5 she starts climbing vertical. I'll shoot a 10 round group at that distance and it will be half of that, but it isn't going to be with the PSL. I'm very happy with the rifle though I wasn't expecting it to shoot this well at all, everybody says they shoot 2-3MOA with ball and thats exactly what my friends shoots. I'm going to try the wolf and PRVI aswell aswell and maybe some handloads, but I'm not expecting anything better than that from it. One problem I had shooting it today was it kept feeding the bullet down into the front of the mag and it would hang up. It needs a cheek pad of some sort really badly, and a rubber butt pad that will also give it some LOP. The ergonomics are horrible but I bought it knowing that.

I hear ya. Mine shoots impressive 3 round groups, respectable 5, and dismal ten. The rounds string in a spiral pattern. Check your mag...many come with the spring installed backwards. ITC Marksmanship makes a Rail Rest cheek pad that works pretty well, and an AK grenade launcher butt pad gives it a good LOP boost as well as a little extra comfort. With those tweaks and a reduced power trigger spring mine feels perfect as it'll be.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#41]

I hear ya. Mine shoots impressive 3 round groups, respectable 5, and dismal ten. The rounds string in a spiral pattern. Check your mag...many come with the spring installed backwards. ITC Marksmanship makes a Rail Rest cheek pad that works pretty well, and an AK grenade launcher butt pad gives it a good LOP boost as well as a little extra comfort. With those tweaks and a reduced power trigger spring mine feels perfect as it'll be.

These?

butt pad

cheek rest

I thought I've seen that butt pad on other PSL's, I notice it doesn't say in the description that is fit PSL's but if it's not the perfect fit I can always epoxy it. I've also seen a a couple people using that cheek rest, do you know if it has any problems with turning on the stock? Once again not a issue a little epoxy can't fix but that's assuming cleaners and such won't hurt the foam since it wouldn't be removable for cleaning. I'm far from careful when I'm cleaning this thing, I'm a minimalist when it comes to firearm cleaning and I try to buy firearms that don't require much cleaning. My pistols get thoroughly cleaned after every range session except the XD9 that I torture tested but my semi auto rifles get a dry patch or bore snake run through to get the loose crap out of the barrel and some lube if needed, and every 500-1000 rounds or so they get a thorough cleaning. My precision bolt guns get a dry patch pushed down the barrel after every range session, and the bolt wiped down and relubed if needed, and the bolt face cleaned if needed. The barrels get cleaned every 500 rounds if they're SS and 300 rounds if they're CM, and some like the remingtons require a trigger cleaning from time to time. I don't even clean my muzzleloader because I shoot blackhorn 209 and it has never even started to corrode and shoots exceptional. Needless to say this PSL is a new experience because of the corrosive ammo and is quite a pain to clean.

Somebody suggested cleaning with water so after shooting I've been just taking it over to the hose, taking it apart, and hosing it down thoroughly with the garden hose. Then I wipe everything as dry as possible and hose it down with rem oil to keep rust from starting from any leftover water. I then give it a thorough cleaning with windex then butches bore shine in the barrel and break free everywhere else. Last night I didn't do the additional cleaning besides putting a little break free in the bore to lube it and keep any rust from starting there and I've been keeping it in a pretty humid place (supposedly the corrosiveness from the ammo reacts better with higher humidity, and I've been checking it all day for any signs of corrosion. I want to see if the simple hose down, dry, relube, and some bore love if sufficient cleaning for 500 rounds or so, and then giving it a thorough cleaning. I'm sure I'll be putting 200-300 rounds down range every weekend both saturday and sunday, and I know having to thoroughly clean it every night with windex will get very old. So far no signs of corrosion after 24 hours from not being "properly" cleaned, I'll keep watching it the next day or two and if there are any changes I'll add a windex to my field cleaning procedure before hosing it down with water.

Do you clean your mags after shooting it? I didn't even think about cleaning them, but I'm sure anything that the residue comes in contact with including other guns near it when firing could rust from it. I will check the springs and followers, but I'm not familiar enough with the rifles to know which way is the correct way to be installed, although followers are typically pretty self explantory. Could you explain how they should should be when properly assembled?
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 1:52:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 300ultramag:
These?

butt pad

cheek rest

I thought I've seen that butt pad on other PSL's, I notice it doesn't say in the description that is fit PSL's but if it's not the perfect fit I can always epoxy it. I've also seen a a couple people using that cheek rest, do you know if it has any problems with turning on the stock? Once again not a issue a little epoxy can't fix but that's assuming cleaners and such won't hurt the foam since it wouldn't be removable for cleaning. I'm far from careful when I'm cleaning this thing, I'm a minimalist when it comes to firearm cleaning and I try to buy firearms that don't require much cleaning. My pistols get thoroughly cleaned after every range session except the XD9 that I torture tested but my semi auto rifles get a dry patch or bore snake run through to get the loose crap out of the barrel and some lube if needed, and every 500-1000 rounds or so they get a thorough cleaning. My precision bolt guns get a dry patch pushed down the barrel after every range session, and the bolt wiped down and relubed if needed, and the bolt face cleaned if needed. The barrels get cleaned every 500 rounds if they're SS and 300 rounds if they're CM, and some like the remingtons require a trigger cleaning from time to time. I don't even clean my muzzleloader because I shoot blackhorn 209 and it has never even started to corrode and shoots exceptional. Needless to say this PSL is a new experience because of the corrosive ammo and is quite a pain to clean.

Somebody suggested cleaning with water so after shooting I've been just taking it over to the hose, taking it apart, and hosing it down thoroughly with the garden hose. Then I wipe everything as dry as possible and hose it down with rem oil to keep rust from starting from any leftover water. I then give it a thorough cleaning with windex then butches bore shine in the barrel and break free everywhere else. Last night I didn't do the additional cleaning besides putting a little break free in the bore to lube it and keep any rust from starting there and I've been keeping it in a pretty humid place (supposedly the corrosiveness from the ammo reacts better with higher humidity, and I've been checking it all day for any signs of corrosion. I want to see if the simple hose down, dry, relube, and some bore love if sufficient cleaning for 500 rounds or so, and then giving it a thorough cleaning. I'm sure I'll be putting 200-300 rounds down range every weekend both saturday and sunday, and I know having to thoroughly clean it every night with windex will get very old. So far no signs of corrosion after 24 hours from not being "properly" cleaned, I'll keep watching it the next day or two and if there are any changes I'll add a windex to my field cleaning procedure before hosing it down with water.

Do you clean your mags after shooting it? I didn't even think about cleaning them, but I'm sure anything that the residue comes in contact with including other guns near it when firing could rust from it. I will check the springs and followers, but I'm not familiar enough with the rifles to know which way is the correct way to be installed, although followers are typically pretty self explantory. Could you explain how they should should be when properly assembled?

Not the Mauser butt pad...the AK style will fit like a glove.

That cheek rest is held on with velcro straps, so it can be easily removed, if desired. There's a rubberized surface on the underside that holds it pretty securely.

I clean all my guns after every session, so it's no big deal to me. I just put a kettle on and run some boiling water down the barrel and gas tube first. Everyone seems to have their preferred method or theory on cleaning out corrosive primer residue.  

The mags I only messed with to get the cosmoline grease out of them and lube them initially. I only clean mags when they start getting gritty. This is what to look for with the mag springs:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67730

The problematic mag I have is the one that came with the rifle. It was badly rusted and pitted, so I sanded it down, sand blasted it and refinished it to no avail.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Not the Mauser butt pad...the AK style will fit like a glove.

That cheek rest is held on with velcro straps, so it can be easily removed, if desired. There's a rubberized surface on the underside that holds it pretty securely.

I clean all my guns after every session, so it's no big deal to me. I just put a kettle on and run some boiling water down the barrel and gas tube first. Everyone seems to have their preferred method or theory on cleaning out corrosive primer residue.  

The mags I only messed with to get the cosmoline grease out of them and lube them initially. I only clean mags when they start getting gritty. This is what to look for with the mag springs:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67730

The problematic mag I have is the one that came with the rifle. It was badly rusted and pitted, so I sanded it down, sand blasted it and refinished it to no avail.

Sweet, thanks a lot for the help. I'll go ahead and get the cheek pad and AK style buttpad (found it on kalinka's site) ordered this week.

There's still no sign of corrosion or rust which is nice to know simple water, wipe dry and lube is sufficient but I'm going to spray it with windex before I hose it out from now on just as a extra precaution.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Raptor1911] [#44]
I like the -74 brake on that Rick_A. very nice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Raptor1911:
I like the -74 brake on that Rick_A. very nice.

Thanks.  I'm still not a fan of the looks, but it is a very effective brake.

I noticed this pic has a round starting it's low earth orbit, and a faint V-shaped muzzle blast can be seen.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:50:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kar98k] [#48]

That's a Rhineland stock.

http://www.troupsystems.com/index.htm

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#50]
This was a PSL in a former life. Shitty Pics of my AK54R.  Ace sidefolder, midwest industries ak front hand guard, Tabuk style fash-hider, US made M70 style pistol grip.

Page / 6
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top