Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2008 8:25:16 PM EDT
I couldn't find any topics regarding this by using the search, so I guess I'll just make a new topic.

Are there any differences quality-wise between the "regular" WASR 10 and the GP WASR 10/63?

I know the 10/63 is the more evil of the two because it has a bayonet lug and a threaded barrel, but I've read comments on how the GP WASR 10/63 is of higher quality than the WASR 10, but no one has ever explained why.

So, AK dudes, could you explain what makes the 10/63 "better"?

Also, when people say "Cugir" rifle do they refer just to the 10/63 or are all Romanian AKs made by Cugir?

Thanks,
Brandon223
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one of each for the same price, back in 06 or 07 and didn't realize til I got home that the 10/63 had a Tapco G2 triger assembly in it and the 10 of coarse didn't, which saved me $30, other than that with G2's in both of them now, I don't feel much of a difference between them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I did not know the 10/63 came with the Tapco trigger when I first bought it.
People keep telling about trigger slap but I never had that problem. Now I know why.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 4:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The wasr was built with a single stack mag well which the century monkeys butchered out to a double stack. My 10/63 came in as a double stack.I had a 2004 monkey gun,which i promptly sold after i got my 10/63. When buying a romy rifle,,,,ALWAYS look it over before you buy. Try not to buy online where you can't check it out for cant or oversize mag well (wobble) etc etc. My 10/63 was made from "G" parts (curgir ground the G off) They do come with a tag through the trigger loop saying "Made from new and used parts".
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#4]
every WASR 10/63 i've seen is quite a bit nicer than the WASR 10's.  Even shit like the quality of parts used.....the bolt carrier on my 10/63 is nicer than the bolt carrier's in both of my yugos.... the bolt carrier in my WASR 10 is roughly machined and looks like it was carved with a butter knife. The G2 trigger is another good example.  The barrel seems to be a little nicer on the 10/63 and the piston is loosley pinned on the 10/63 which is what you want instead of the welded piston on the regular WASR 10.

I also seem to remember a website that claimed that the WASR 10/63 are romanian military spec clones while the WASR 10's are said to be put together from parts that were rejected for military use.  Don't know how much truth there is to it though
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
The wasr was built with a single stack mag well which the century monkeys butchered out to a double stack. The 10/63 came in as a double stack.I had a 2004 monkey gun,which i promptly sold after i got my 10/63. When buying a romy rifle,,,,ALWAYS look it over before you buy. Try not to buy online where you can't check it out for cant or oversize mag well (wobble) etc etc. My 10/63 was made from "G" parts (curgir ground the G off) They do come with a tag through the trigger loop saying "Made from new and used parts".

There is some misinformation in this post. Not all WASR 10/63's came in with a widened magwell. I know this because I bought my WASR 10/63 with a single stack magazine and had it converted after I bought it.

Also, the parts mine is made up of almost all match. The front trunnion is marked "1964 CD4019" with the arrow in triangle symbol in front of it. The gas tube and internal parts all match with the "CD4019" on them. My rifle did not have canted sights when I got it, and came with the US piston, Tapco G2 trigger, and a US made pictol grip.
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]
All WASR's come in as single stack and get converted on this side of the pond.

SAR's came in as standard capacity (a.k.a. double stack) receivers.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
From what I can tell the 10/63 uses surplus parts.

My first WASR was a standard GP; all numbers matched, no cant, had evil features but used a Century FCG. The markings were electro penciled. I sold it.

My newer one I got in trade here recently is a GP 10/63. It has the dot matrix print markings even on the trunion. Has evil features, is straight, but the numbers were made to match:

-Dust cover # was welded and filed (can still see orginal numbers on the under side).
-Bolt carrier # was welded/grounded off and re-stamped.
-Some markings on the rear right side of the receiver was welded and filed off.
-Rear sight base had something welded in and ground off on the left.
-They missed the numbers on the gas tube, they are different.
-Barrel was pressed out and reinstalled, you can see where a burr cut a groove in the barrel and they used a new barrel pin.
-bolt has new # electro penciled, looks like narrower WASR bolt.
Link Posted: 9/13/2008 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]

All I can tell you is my 10/63 came to me new with mismatched serial numbers.  Needless to say, I wasn't amused at the time.  At least they were all factory applied numbers and not dot-matrix forced matching.  It actually shoots very well, the mags fit tightly and feed correctly, and after I changed the stocks, it even looks halfway decent.

Link Posted: 9/15/2008 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a few wasr-10s and a couple 10/63s. There is no difference that I can tell. I bought one of the 10/63s as a single stack and converted it. Some wasr-10s came with the G2, one didn't. Two 10s had threaded barrels and lugs, some didn't. one 10/63 had a threaded barrel and lug and the other didn't. 10 vs 10/63 seems meaningless to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Well my 10-63 WASR GP underfolder is nice. I have seen and fired other full auto AKs brfore, but the finish and build on the one I bought just caught my eye real good like. The one that I got is in damn good shape, chromed barrel is sweet.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top