Page:  / 5
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/16/2006 4:12:22 PM
[Last Edit: 9/16/2006 4:14:27 PM by Sign_Wolfman]

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
They are still out there I just saw one of these third hole rifles at the Little Rock fun show. A guy who said he was a licensed FFL dealer had it on his table but I guess he didn’t know what it was. I looked at it just to make sure. It had there third hole with a long rivet all the way trough the receiver. I didn’t tell him what it was. He was your typical gun dealer. He pretended to know all there was about Chicom guns and was telling me he really wanted to put an under folder stock on the rifle but he couldn’t find one for under $100. I just set the weapon down and moved away. I really hope nobody ends up getting stuck with this rifle. If you’re buying a MAK-90 always check. I figure I would rather be safe than sorry.

Sign_Wolfman
RattlerXX
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/19/2006 4:16:40 PM
It is kind of funny I just found one of these for sale in a shop today. $300.00 with an underfolder. I passed on it.

I had one of these back in 95, and it was recalled by BATF, and the shop replaced it. I really hated to lose that one.
the_other_don
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/21/2006 2:03:54 PM
Is there anyway someone can please copy and edit the photo to clearly indicate the "extra hole".

Also If anyone knows the serial number range that would be geat info too.

Was this an issue with this ONE importer or were there others??

Feel free to email me.
Sign_Wolfman
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/21/2006 8:16:18 PM
A lot of people have asked so here it is. I tried to make it as clear as possible. I hope this answers any questions.

Sign_Wolfman
the_other_don
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/22/2006 10:23:21 AM
Thank you WOLFMAN !!!!!!!!

I was sweating bullets because I just bought a MAK90 last weekend and the guy was a little toooo easy to come off the price he wanted. I can breathe a sigh of relief now, no 3rd hole... PHEW!

HoosierFIRE
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2006 12:47:51 PM
Hrrm, I'm an ak47 newbie. I'm looking to buy a armco sporter mak90, from early 80s? Think it has the third hole? Guy is asking $500 for it. Wow this is scary
Bret
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/29/2006 11:50:38 AM
krinkfreak, do you have an update on bringing the rifle back to life?
caveman
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/25/2006 1:29:44 PM
I just checked my MAKs and I'm OK . Phew.

If someone had one what would their options be? Is cutting it the only way to deal with it?

That's just a sad sight

The difference between genius and supidity is.... genius has its limits.

9/11 Never Forgive, NEVER Forget.

Ulwembu
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2006 7:04:15 PM
Strange that it's so strict overthere (USA as I'm in Holland). On the other hand, laws changed last year August overhere and no guns are allowed anymore to be imported that were changed from full auto to semi auto. However, everything that was already on a personal license or shop license are still available to be sold and bought. Just as long as the disconnector is shortened so the gun can't be switched to full auto. The full auto disconnector is considered a machine gun overhere so owning only the full auto disconnector can already get you in deep you know what ;)
Bret
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2006 8:57:49 PM

The full auto disconnector is considered a machine gun overhere so owning only the full auto disconnector can already get you in deep you know what ;)

That's funny. In most places over here there's nothing illegal about owning them. I guess the thought process is that since the receivers that would be required to make them functional are illegal, the full auto disconnectors don't really matter.
Lando12
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/10/2007 6:34:48 PM
I guess I'm one of the lucky one's......my underfolder was plugged and it was imported by the very same importer.....I almost pissed myself when I saw they where the same importer
K1rodeoboater
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2007 11:51:04 PM
[Last Edit: 3/17/2007 11:51:43 PM by K1rodeoboater]
oh teh noes....i might have some bad news for my buddy....he's got a MAK-90 and it MIGHT have a 3rd hole. I came over here to look at pics and found this as a fluke.

based on this pic

where would it be located in this pic

please tell me it's not the one right over the mag release at the bottom....
AjK186
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2007 12:46:47 AM
yes it is the one right above the mag release on the bottom
Bret
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2007 9:32:42 AM
It's interesting how the selector mark for full auto is there too. I wonder if all the 3rd pin receivers have this selector mark.
-GuNuT-
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/5/2007 12:28:59 AM

Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
oh teh noes....i might have some bad news for my buddy....he's got a MAK-90 and it MIGHT have a 3rd hole. I came over here to look at pics and found this as a fluke.

based on this pic
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/SignWolfman/TrirdPin.jpg

where would it be located in this pic
www.inrangec2.com/kf/contra-1.jpg

please tell me it's not the one right over the mag release at the bottom....

Contraband sadly...
Stahlgewehr762
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2007 2:06:36 AM

Originally Posted By Bret:
It's interesting how the selector mark for full auto is there too. I wonder if all the 3rd pin receivers have this selector mark.

All the ones I remember seeing for sale at gunshows during that time period had the two receiver notches and were marked "L and D" as well. They stood out like a sore thumb as being made from m.g. receivers. Also notice the "notched" bolt carrier guide rail with the little spot-welded tab filling the slot!
Black-Tiger
AMERICAN SPARTAN
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2007 2:16:50 AM
You did good; just torch cut the receiver and be done with it.

That receiver, as much fun as it would be to own it, is not worth 25 years in prison. Chop it, then remove the useable parts and discard the receiver and you are in the clear.
OIF I VETERAN
GWOT VETERAN
NRA MEMBER
SIGARMS CERTIFIED ARMORER
PROUD AMERICAN كافر
Sam650
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/3/2007 5:04:30 PM
The pics from the original post no longer appear and no link is supplies. Can anyone supply a link to the pics showing the 3 pin contraband weapons? I have an older MAK90 and would like to be sure I don't have something that could get me a new roomate.

Thanks very much.

--Sam
Sam650
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/3/2007 5:11:10 PM
Error on last post. I see that on page 2 there is a pic of the three hole receiver.

Mine is a forged receiver and the model and serial numbers are not laser engraved. Rather they look like they were scribed with one of those electirc pencil markers. So my receiver does not look like the stamped receiver in the pic, but there are 3 distinct holes/bumps.

I'm gettin nervous.
Sam650
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/3/2007 5:17:18 PM
Okay, final entry. Checked other pics and compared mine to all the pics. I think I am in the clear. I have 3 holes but not in the locations identified as "wicked". I do not have the offending 3rd hole in front. No more worries about meeting Bubba.

Thanks for the alert and refernce to verify that I can sleep well at night.

--Sam
opticalc
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2007 9:48:11 AM

Originally Posted By Bret:

Where is the selector mark for full auto? I thought that was on the other side of the receiver.
Bret
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/11/2007 10:14:24 AM
My comment was in reference to a picture that was in the first post of this thread. You're correct. The F/A selector mark is on the other side of the receiver. It's between safe and S/A fire, but closer to S/A fire.
sniper69
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/6/2007 10:35:17 PM

Originally Posted By HoosierFIRE:
Hrrm, I'm an ak47 newbie. I'm looking to buy a armco sporter mak90, from early 80s? Think it has the third hole? Guy is asking $500 for it. Wow this is scary

Mak90's weren't imported until 1990 through 1994. So I'm confused how the guy has a Mak90 from the early 80's for sale...
AK_Jay
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2008 2:10:47 PM

Originally Posted By DoctorCheney223:
Did you get in any trouble because of one of these rifles? If so, what defense did you use? I couldn't imagine ATF trying to send somebody to prison for something he didn't know was contraband. If they kept it posted on their website or posted it in gun mags, then I MIGHT understand.

thanks,
Ron

You dont have to imagine that scenario, it has been a reel life nightmare for many people, and there is no defense. If you are guilty of breaking one of their many technical violations your pretty much screwed, better luck in your next life.
Functional
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/5/2008 7:47:40 PM

Originally Posted By sniper69:

Originally Posted By HoosierFIRE:

Mak90's weren't imported until 1990 through 1994. So I'm confused how the guy has a Mak90 from the early 80's for sale...

A lot of Mak90 (Even though they are Mak90 93/94) are just the AK47-56. They were manufactured the same or even before a lot of the Pre-Ban AK47s (56s, 56s-1 56s-2).

Man, just look at the Receivers, Barrels & Wood. It all looks like they came from the same period.

Some weapons were denoted PreBan do to where they Where. Some got redone!

I have severals Mak90s (93s, 94s). I have several PreBan 56s 56s-1. Except for Threaded Barrels & Receiver Description, they look like they were made the same day.

I have seen Mak90s that came with Threaded Barrel, Cleaning Rod/Hole in the Forearm. All kinds of weapons were being converted, utilized for export by Norinco & Polytech.

Funtional
Page:  / 5
AK-47 » Chinese