BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested in buying one from my brother in laws coworker, but I haven't seen it yet. I heard its a Norinco underfolder and the price is perfect but since I haven't seen pics or the weapon first hand I'm a little concerned about it now. Can the hole be welded over, or the receiver demiled, and once demiled who makes a receiver that will work with Norinco parts? NDS doesn't seem to have any in their catalog that's listed as being compatible with this parts kit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#2]
receiver can be torch cut into three parts after carfully removing all the parts, then you need to find an undrilled (no trunion holes) 1.6mm underfolder receiver, I have seen them on gun broker in both chinese underfolder and fixed stock versions. Not my auction, but http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283895222
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Best thing to do is to walk away from the deal if you see the third hole/rivet. Simple as that. There are plenty of legal AKs to buy. You just don't want to go there. Ever.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone cited the ruling for this yet? I cannot seem to find it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By noonagon:

Looks like This covers it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ishoot2live:
Originally Posted By noonagon:

Looks like This covers it.

So, solely with that third hole you can make a mak90 a machine gun. Without any other modification at all that hole allows you to make a machine gun?
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
you need full auto parts as well like the proper trigger assembly, full auto bolt, full auto safety lever
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 10gage:
you need full auto parts as well like the proper trigger assembly, full auto bolt, full auto safety lever

are those other parts readily available? Just trying to figure out why it is illegal. Seems to me that without the bolt and trigger group there is no way to make it full auto. An AR15 does not need a different receiver to make it full auto, just trigger group and bolt correct?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
yes they are avalible and legal to own just not assembled
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Once a machine gun  always a machine gun. Doesn't matter if it currently has semi parts or not. The receiver is the gun and it was built as a machine gun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Very odd rules, but I am just glad mine does not have this third hole lol.

So how is an M16 or M4 receiver different that an AR receiver? just that it was "made" a machine gun? Maybe because it has an extra stamp/milling for the selector switch? lol just trying to keep my butt out of trouble in case I come across any of the above. Thanks again for the explanation :)
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#13]
The m16 has a small hole drilled above the selector switch for an autosear. This hole is not present on ar15 receivers. If a manufacturer built m16 lowers and then riveted over the sear-pin hole, there would still be a machine gun receiver underneath the rivets, in the eyes of the atf.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By blackghost:
The m16 has a small hole drilled above the selector switch for an autosear. This hole is not present on ar15 receivers. If a manufacturer built m16 lowers and then riveted over the sear-pin hole, there would still be a machine gun receiver underneath the rivets, in the eyes of the atf.

It is easier for them to blanket rule than to do a case by case, and I understand that. I would think that welding the hole would ans should be ok, but obviously not. they allow you to weld a flashhider on a SBR to make it 16" but not weld a receiver to make it semi only. Ohhhhh the gov't.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 12:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#16]
Originally Posted By JohnnyA:
Is this another winner?

Yup

Edited to add:

Looks like GB removed his auction.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#17]
and another one !
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=376456581
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Was at a gun show recently and saw a Poly Tech spiker for sale, it definitely had the third pin in it.  Could this be possible or were these limited to the MAK-90s?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:12:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hooch33] [#19]
So are these in fact illiegal to own?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hooch33:
So are these in fact illiegal to own?
View Quote

Yep.

Once a Machinegun ALWAYS a Machinegun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:44:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobWite] [#21]
A buddy of mine had one.A spiker.One of the of the "movie guns" imported by GSAD in CA....Not a MAK but a pre ban.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:39:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BobWite] [#22]
sorry,double post
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's the pic again for reference.

" />

Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Real_estate_salesman:
So he can just cut the receiver and then put the parts back on a Tapco flat?
View Quote
What if someone just happened to fill the hole with weld and smooth/refinish like nothing was ever there.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#25]
Originally Posted By RattlerXX:
It is kind of funny I just found one of these for sale in a shop today.  $300.00 with an underfolder.  I passed on it.I had one of these back in 95, and it was recalled by BATF, and the shop replaced it.  I really hated to lose that one.
View Quote
Didn’t look at post date...I’m an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By kncook:

What if someone just happened to fill the hole with weld and smooth/refinish like nothing was ever there.....
View Quote
That wouldn't change the fact that the receiver was originally a machine gun receiver.
While you are at it go ahead and grind off the serial#'s.....if you are going to go down, go down in flames.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Someone was trying to sell me one of these "third pin" AKs.

Does anyone have any official document that classifies these AKs as contraband?  Such as an ATF letter, notice, court case...  
It would be nice to have something more definite than "the arfcom guys say so!"  
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Someone was trying to sell me one of these "third pin" AKs.

Does anyone have any official document that classifies these AKs as contraband?  Such as an ATF letter, notice, court case...  
It would be nice to have something more definite than "the arfcom guys say so!"  
View Quote
How about your own eyes?
Look at a full auto AK, then at yours...…….are the receiver pins in the same place?

Further, do a search here for the thread on fake sear pin markings on an AR lower receiver....and the resulting shitshow.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By kncook:

View Quote
I saw that once on an unregistered Chinese Viet Nam bring back. While it's not Kosher, the owner brings it to the range all the time, & nobody's given it a second look. He's owned it over 30 years. I explained to him what was up, but he could care less. He was friends with a kid in the late 60's who went to Viet Nam. The kid sent home some speakers from the war. Told his Dad to NEVER sell the speakers. He was KIA there, & years later, the Dad opened the speakers, & there was a Chinese AK. May 19, 1986 had passed, so it couldn't be registered. My friend got it, & had the holes filled. It's a souvenir of his childhood friend.  GARY
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank god someone uploaded a single most important picture to the forum. All other pictures are gone or removed by the greedy high tech companies. Without the pictures, this discussion is useless.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top