Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/30/2017 11:38:30 AM EDT
I have a line on a Norinco 56S, but the seller (friend) doesn't know the history of the gun, and I know very little about AKs.

From what I've been able to learn through my research is that, the stock doesn't seem to be original, and is likely european.  The muzzle device isn't likely original, and the furniture doesn't appear to be proper for a Norinco 56S either.

Could anyone help me out with identifying what the heck we have going on here?  We're trying to come to some sort of conclusion on a fair price, but seeing what 56's have sold for on gunbroker, and then trying adjust that in accordance to what of this thing is proper and what is hacked together, isn't really working out so well.  I'm not asking for an evaluation on value (seems to be prohibited here and I want to stay inline with that), just some info.

He also has a pile of magazine he's parting with- how would I determine which ones are best, and/or, Chinese?

Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow thats a sad preban chicom.
It looks like the last owner tried to make an East German sidefolder clone.
So lets break it down...

1. Original blued finish is gone and looks to be now parkerized.
2. All of the furniture is incorrect, along with the top cover, gas tube, muzzle break,

Here in michigan is that was an all original fixed stock 56s its a $1300 rifle depending on condition.

If your looking to restore it to its original glory your going to need the following...but id honestly just tell you to pass and find someone selling an all original.
1. Complete furniture set
2. Gas tube
3. Muzzle nut
4. Top cover
5. Cleaning rod
6. correct chinese pistol grip screw

If it was parkerized then the blueing is long gone. so the finish will never be the same
Also it will never be a numbers matching rifle again unless he has the top cover and gas tube.

The preban chicom market is soft right now. Dont pay much at all
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yea and if you decide its not what you want please pass on your friends info. Im in michigan and have a tons of spare parts to put it back to original condition. Wouldnt mind a new project
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have anything to add to this?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone have anything to add to this?
View Quote
Bio pretty much hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't buy it though, even if you spent all that money to replace the parts the serial numbers won't match.

That seems like a good rifle for a trunk gun or some backwoods bubba who just wants to burn it up with mag dumps into a pond. Kinda' sad...
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Small world. I'm not the OP but I bought this rifle at a gun show in Wisconsin this weekend. Don't know how it got there from Michigan but the guy I bought it from was selling off a large collection of guns and parts from a widow/estate. All noted issues aside, I'm happy with it so far for what I paid, which was about the price of a new WASR.

Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
There's tons of info regarding the Norinco type 56s on the web, but a quick reference here's a pic of the 56S family

Kinda Weird to see now 2 of almost the exact same rifle, but last pic posted shows some kind of markings on the right side of barrel.
But both rifles seem to have exact same furniture which I'm sure is East German furniture, and both have the Romanian type push button side folder.  
I Beleive East German is a lever type.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Plus I never heard of eci/ usa as an importer of Norinco 56s AKs
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Small world. I'm not the OP but I bought this rifle at a gun show in Wisconsin this weekend. Don't know how it got there from Michigan but the guy I bought it from was selling off a large collection of guns and parts from a widow/estate. All noted issues aside, I'm happy with it so far for what I paid, which was about the price of a new WASR.

https://i.imgur.com/9IXhzkg.jpg
View Quote
I recall that there was a batch of Chinese guys that weren't allowed through all the way. They got caught in limbo during the import ban and some were allowed to be released as is, other had to be made ban compliant, and others were turned into parts kits or built up using other parts kits.

If two Chinese receivers were both built up with DDR parts and parkerized, maybe they came from one of those batches of guns.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Guys, these are not two different guns. It's the same gun, with the same serial number. No idea if it was built this way, but I would expect not. My assumption is that it was a standard Norinco 56S that somewhere along the way had the furniture switched and refinished. The gun is what it is now, I just thought it was a coincidence to find this thread. Regarding the importer question, it's double marked BCI on the receiver and DIG on the barrel. Rifles marked this way are not common, but I have seen several others. Both are known importers from around '84-'85 era.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Lucky SOB. Intact Chicom Gas block w/lug. For the price of a WASR, I'd call that the "Deal of the month." Should be an outstanding shooting rifle. Change furniture or leave it looks good. The muzzle device has  to go though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guys, these are not two different guns. It's the same gun, with the same serial number. No idea if it was built this way, but I would expect not. My assumption is that it was a standard Norinco 56S that somewhere along the way had the furniture switched and refinished. The gun is what it is now, I just thought it was a coincidence to find this thread. Regarding the importer question, it's double marked BCI on the receiver and DIG on the barrel. Rifles marked this way are not common, but I have seen several others. Both are known importers from around '84-'85 era.
View Quote
I have a 56S-1 marked BCI/DIG.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top