Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2016 10:00:47 PM EDT
Hello everyone.  I have not been very active on this site but, appreciate the wealth of knowledge and information available here.  

I have a NIB preban Poly Tech spiker.  Its a safe queen.  I know many will say the AK needs to be used.  I admit, when I open the safe it almost gets to the range but, I usually just grab the Arsenal to satisfy the AK itch.  I am curious how much value is lost by shooting this?  Is it just a few hundred?

I also consider selling it so someone really into AK's can enjoy it.  This is the least likely option for me though and unless there is something I really want and can't find a way to fund it, its staying.

So, I have been saving this rifle as is for a while now.  I think it wants to see the range though.  

Would you shoot it, save it, or sell it?  I would really like to know what the people closer to the AK market feel is lost by shooting it?  If it is only a few hundred dollars, it would be worth it to me to shoot it since I don't really plan to sell.  Its hard though since its been unfired in the box for 30+ years.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello everyone.  I have not been very active on this site but, appreciate the wealth of knowledge and information available here.  

I have a NIB preban Poly Tech spiker.  Its a safe queen.  I know many will say the AK needs to be used.  I admit, when I open the safe it almost gets to the range but, I usually just grab the Arsenal to satisfy the AK itch.  I am curious how much value is lost by shooting this?  Is it just a few hundred?

I also consider selling it so someone really into AK's can enjoy it.  This is the least likely option for me though and unless there is something I really want and can't find a way to fund it, its staying.

So, I have been saving this rifle as is for a while now.  I think it wants to see the range though.  

Would you shoot it, save it, or sell it?  I would really like to know what the people closer to the AK market feel is lost by shooting it?  If it is only a few hundred dollars, it would be worth it to me to shoot it since I don't really plan to sell.  Its hard though since its been unfired in the box for 30+ years.

Thanks
View Quote

IMHO, unless you have the box and everything it came with, it's already lost some value to the collectors market.

If you were to sell it, I'd wait until the election panic if you really need the coin, and frankly, I wouldn't sell it because of that exact reason.

I'd shoot it, Chicom AKs are some of the best, and IMO, there is no point in owning a gun you don't shoot.

Here's my Type 56S:

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  That's what makes it hard to shoot.  It is all in the original box, unfired in the plastic.  I was going to get to get into AK's.  I sold a nice Polish underfolder to get the Poly.  Then got a 545 Arsenal to shoot cheap.  Well, that all went to hell with new laws in my state.

I suppose it will just sit in the safe for now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice rifle by the way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, you should post a pic of yours in the picture thread
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few of the polytechs NIB, so I got me a MAK90 and a neutered "poly-mak" to bring to the range or go hog hunting! :)

No reason, in my book, to shoot the NIB ak just for the sake of shooting it...  But then again, I'm a collector first.

My suggestion?  Get you a MAK90, swap out the furniture, and keep that Polytech new in the box...

But that's just me!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for suggestion.  I have a 5.45 Arsenal I shoot.  Was my first and got it a while ago.  So, I think the spiker stays in the box until I am ready to trade it or sell it for something I am interested in at the time.  Though, come next year it may be mine forever regardless of what I think!
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a spiker, bought used years ago but in pristine condition. I shoot it gently, no mag dumps" clean it up good and it still looks like new. Mine was fired and no box, but a sweet price.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a spiker, bought used years ago but in pristine condition. I shoot it gently, no mag dumps" clean it up good and it still looks like new. Mine was fired and no box, but a sweet price.
View Quote

Have the same here.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#9]
IDK but the older I get, the more I want to shoot all my unfired AK's..........Just tonight I was looking at one of my new in wrap MAK's........I am shooting that f*cker Monday.  I mean, who the hell am I saving it for?
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top