Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/5/2016 12:39:28 AM EDT
I am restoring a spiker back to its original glory, thanks to a folding polytech FSB.  

My question is, should I go ahead and swap the Chinese GB for an Egyptian? (ETA- it was not Egyptian AKM- not sure what it is, but whatever it is, it is an AK pattern) AK pattern gas block while I have the FSB pressed off?  The Chinese GB was "neutered" (it appears the cleaning rod loop was ground off the bottom).  The Chinese GB has a wire sling loop, the replacement AK pattern GB uses more of a sling plate.

The only other downside is the finish will not match exactly, but the new FSB does not match the GB exactly anyhow.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I would replace the gas block too, since you'll be "right there" and it will make the job complete.

In order to use a "spiker" front sight assembly, your barrel's front sight journal needs to be long enough to accommodate the extra length of the spiker assembly. In other words, a barrel journal cut for a standard front sight base won't accept a spiker; it won't press on all the way.

The gas block you need will be an "AK-47" pattern one, as used on most rifles with milled receivers. An Egyptian gas block is an AKM pattern, and won't work; its inside diameter will be too small to press over the Chinese barrel. The gas block you want will have a rear-mounted cleaning rod loop, and use a separate sling mounting plate. It won't have an integral sling loop or two holes per side near the gas block exit.

Finally, I believe that factory Chinese spikers had the very bottom of the cleaning rod loop shaved off, leaving just the "ears" on either side. This was presumably done to allow for extra clearance between the folded spike bayonet and the gas block, but it doesn't appear to be necessary. I've seen pics of spiker conversions with intact gas block loops, so it seems that there is enough clearance without modifying the loop.

Also, be sure to post pics of your project, we all love pics!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

I am going to have to double check the barrel now, to make sure I do not have to have it turned down some more so the longer FSB will fit.  Thanks for the heads up on that!  That is one of those obvious things that I completely overlooked.  I would have noticed when I had an issue with the new FSB

I must not have an Egyptian gas block.  I just got done saving a slant cut bubba-rized MAK, and used the same gas block I am debating to use on this one (I was guessing on Egyptian- guessed wrong ) that I had stashed away awhile ago.  Just finally getting around to these projects...  and I am not an AK guru as you can tell  But it is exactly as you said it looks like, just with more cosmoline and rust, and less of that nice Chinese bluing.

Does it matter that these are 5.56 MAK's?  I started with one bubba'd angle cut one, and another that was a straight cut...  The straight cut will be turned into the spiker, since I can not find a poly legend I can afford.  The bubba'd one has a new GB, a cleaning rod holder silver soldered to the bottom of the FSB (that was badly beaten when I got it, but I got it mostly back straight) and a new handguard retainer (the other one was MIA- looks like it was cut off with a chop saw judging by the nick in the barrel), and will get a desert fox AR tube adapter, side folder mechanism, and AR stock since I need a long LOP, as well as an ulti-mak tube and MOE handguard, hopefully leaving me with a tacti-cool model I can play with.  I am waiting on the MOE handguard, then at least one is done.  That is the goal.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
As already stated, an AKM based gas block will not work with your barrel. Also, as already stated, factory spike bayonet AK's had the loop that retained the cleaning rod on the bottom of the gas block filed off. The gas block and front sight block is the same between 7.62 and 5.56 Chinese AK's.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Pictures!

So if I am understanding the helpful comments here, if I take the AK pattern gas block I have, grind off the bottom of the cleaning rod loop on the the gas block, leaving just the sides of the loop, it will be correct to use on a Chinese spiker?

Here is a picture of the gas block I want to use on the spiker, next to another MAK that has already been "un Bubba'd"  with the same type of gas block (the MAK pictured is the tactical version I described above)

Basically, cut along the red line:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So if I am understanding the helpful comments here, if I take the AK pattern gas block I have, grind off the bottom of the cleaning rod loop on the the gas block, leaving just the sides of the loop, it will be correct to use on a Chinese spiker? Basically, cut along the red line:
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks  
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top