Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 10:35:06 AM EDT
Lately, I have been doing a lot of culling.  If I don't shoot it much, it goes.

First up, I have a NHM-91 that I took in trade years ago.  I added US furniture and a Red Star Arms 2 stage adjustable trigger to it.  I do need to change the grip on it, but this is how it sits:

The problem is, I shot this thing twice in 8 years.  I'm getting older and prefer weapons more accepting of optics versus using iron sights.  Sure, I can use irons, but it just isn't as fun for me.

Next on the list is a MAK-90, which happens to be the second rifle that I purchased with my own funds back in 1996:

I'm having a little harder time of letting this one go, but like the NHM-91, I hardly shoot it.  Most indoor ranges scrutinize the ammo, and like I said, I prefer something with optics.  The funds from the sale of these two rifles will more than likely go towards optics on my .300 AAC and building a Remington 700 short action.

FWIW, I'm keeping my milled MAK-90 because I put way too much work into it:

I'm also going to be keeping a milled SKS, but I don't have a photo of it.  That was the first rifle that I purchased with my own money so it has sentimental value to me.

Anyway, can you convince me to keep the NHM-91 and MAK-90 or should I FO?

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you don't shoot them, let them go.

Personally, I do not form emotional attachments to any guns, so letting them go or keeping them is based on logic.

For instance, if I wanted to buy good glass for one of my rifles, and I found that I have way too many ARs/AKs, etc. I would cut loose the excess to get what I want.

Having said all that, I am holding on to some guns I don't shoot until somewhere around the November time frame to maximize my return.
View Quote
I'm planning on holding on until the next panic too.  I'm just finding it harder to justify having guns for the sake of having guns as I grow older.  I'd rather cash out and get something that sees more use.

One of my family members was trying to pull this "but you'll never be able to get another Chinese AK for a decent price" on me.  My retort was if I don't shoot it, what is the point of having it?  The only gun that I would like to have and not shoot is my step-grandfather's Singer Manufactured WWII 1911.  It was his brother-in-law's service weapon and given to him as a gift.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you know what you're doing. If you've no use for it, sell and get what you need/want

If it were me, I'd swap the gas block and FSB for AK type, and add cleaning rod to your MAK90 and use it as your AK. I'd sell the NHM and the milled Mak (only cause I don't care for the angled semi slant back end).

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sounds like you know what you're doing. If you've no use for it, sell and get what you need/want

If it were me, I'd swap the gas block and FSB for AK type, and add cleaning rod to your MAK90 and use it as your AK. I'd sell the NHM and the milled Mak (only cause I don't care for the angled semi slant back end).

View Quote

That's a tough call.  I prefer the look of the MAK-90 over all of them, and maybe I am letting the fact that I media blasted and coated the milled one weigh too much on my decision.  I also dyed the Ironwood Designs stocks in a custom color.  Let's put it this way, there are a LOT of hours in the milled one as well as one oven that would stink up my old house for months after curing the KG Gunkote in it...  Then again, I view all that work as a therapeutic process that allowed me to forget about some personal problems in my life at the time.  I looked forward to being able to sneak some time here and there to work on that rifle.  With that said, maybe it is time to let it go during the next panic.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep one you'll. miss the 7.62x39 round.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Keep one you'll. miss the 7.62x39 round.
View Quote
I'm keeping one MAK and the Norinco Milled SKS.  Now I am leaning towards selling the milled MAK and the NHM.  The NHM will be the first to get listed in November.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
If you sell the milled mak let me know. I'm thinking about doing a type 56s spiker clone
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot em or send em...you can always backtrack...don't ask me how I know...
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I had two MAK-90's, an NHM-91 and a Uzi clone called a Norinco B-Sporter.  Rarely shot them, and noticed the quality was very sloppy compared to other imports.   After Obama was elected (The first time), I sold off all of them on GB (Including my Intratecs, SWD's, and other stuff I bought in the original Miami Vice days) and used the money on various Arsenal AK's and other items I actually would shoot and enjoy.  Never had any regrets.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#11]
One does not simply sell their Chinese import AK's............all I can tell you man.  I miss every single Chicom I have let go over the years.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top