Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/7/2016 10:37:28 AM EDT
I'm picking up a Mac90 next week and I can shoot it before buying it. It comes with its original box, 6 30rn Chinese and 1 10rnd mags, underfolder, Chinese baclight pistol grip, 75rd Korean drum and cheap scope with railed dust cover.

My questons are these.
1. EDITED OUT....SORRY
2. It's a underfolder but was converted to use a thumb hole stock (was that do to the bans?)
3. Any information would be very much helpful
The barrel doesn't look threaded or is that a thread protector?

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the threads were "deactivated" for the 94 ban. You might be able to save the threads by chasing them with a 14mm threading die (most likely tho, may need to drop to 1/2" threading), but that rifle screams "double folder spiker" resto. might add another 500 to the total investment, but its worth it. Note to self: Gotta look for one of those MACs

850 sounds good to me but ask if they'll take 800 because of the muzzle threading. You never know...

And yes the buthole is another reminder of Clintons and political party brilliance.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Double folder? Sorry I'm not very well informed on Chinese AKs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Double folder? Sorry I'm not very well informed on Chinese AKs.
View Quote

Underfolding stock and underfolding bayonet. Here's mine:

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That's nice...is that a slant cut receivor? Sorry I'm not well informed on mac90
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's nice...is that a slant cut receivor? Sorry I'm not well informed on mac90
View Quote

Yep, and yours will be slant as well.  The underfolder receivers are all slant.  You'll have a welded on tang to the rear trunion, which will be begging to be ground off and refinished as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like the threads were "deactivated" for the 94 ban. You might be able to save the threads by chasing them with a 14mm threading die (most likely tho, may need to drop to 1/2" threading), but that rifle screams "double folder spiker" resto. might add another 500 to the total investment, but its worth it. Note to self: Gotta look for one of those MACs

850 sounds good to me but ask if they'll take 800 because of the muzzle threading. You never know...

And yes the buthole is another reminder of Clintons and political party brilliance.

View Quote

As a reminder it was bush senior that made us deal with butthole stocks. Clinton got rid of them completely.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one of these in the nineties from Federal in Minnesota.  They are factory 66 rifles that had been made for the Chinese underfolding stock.  The one I got didn't have the thread protector on it, but just the threaded muzzle.  They are very fine made rifles.  I have seen them go for over a thousand on GunBroker.  Fed sold quite a few of them in the early ninties for the princely sum of $179.   After the Clinton ban of 94 the prices shot up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a "caught in customs" gun. Made before the 89 ban, but by the time it arrived, the 89 ban started, so the underfolder was converted to a MAK 90. Rather than remove the muzzle threads, a cap was tac welded on, so if you can remove the cap, you will probably find good threads.  GARY
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top