Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 6:17:20 PM EDT
I picked up a '94 mak90 a while back and it has the dreaded canted front sight. I removed the pins and tried to rotate the sight to no avail. I went ahead and pressed off the sight. Now I figure I might as well install a sight with the cleaning rod holder.

So what are my options? The sight journal is .590" I think the Bulgarian might fit but I found a Polish 1960 version a little cheaper. Any one have any experience?

Thanks!

Dave
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a milled Polish Gas block and front sight post - bought it off Gunbroker, straight from Poland.

Here's the link...

Here's the gas block as well...

All you'd need is to have the barrel threaded  and a slant brake added and you're done. It'll fit a 1st pattern (double edged) bayonet.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got NOS Polish front sight and gas block for the milled 1960 AK 47 from Apex gun parts. They are in great condition and the holes are all ready drilled. Both fit great!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!

I was looking at these Polish parts form Apex.

http://www.apexgunparts.com/polish-ak47-1960-front-sight-block-new.html

http://www.apexgunparts.com/polish-ak47-1960-gas-block-vg.html

Most of the other comments on the new blocks state they are not drilled all the way through just dimpled on one side. I have a drill press so if they are just dimpled that would be OK. It would be nice if they do come through drilled.

I did contact Apex and they said they have not installed these blocks on a Mak. So they are not sure if they fit. I guess I will have to buy them to see. I will report back with my results.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got NOS Polish front sight and gas block for the milled 1960 AK 47 from Apex gun parts. They are in great condition and the holes are all ready drilled. Both fit great!
View Quote

I did this as well.

If you need a thread to reference to for swapping it out here you go.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/158838_Norinco_MAK_90_FSB_Replacement_Deban_Barrel_Threading.html
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I did this as well.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/158838_Norinco_MAK_90_FSB_Replacement_Deban_Barrel_Threading.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did this as well.

GREAT info here. TBR gave me great advice when I was doing mine. Thanks again TBR. The only thing I did different was replace both the gas block and the front sight. It was cheaper for me to buy my press plate from RobertForbus.com rather than to make one like TBR. I also bought other tools from Mr. Forbus, he is very helpful and his tools make the job alot easier.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

GREAT info here. TBR gave me great advice when I was doing mine. Thanks again TBR. The only thing I did different was replace both the gas block and the front sight. It was cheaper for me to buy my press plate from RobertForbus.com rather than to make one like TBR. I also bought other tools from Mr. Forbus, he is very helpful and his tools make the job alot easier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did this as well.

Thanks! I'm glad I could help
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Great time to shorten the barrel and thread and pin a muzzle device of your liking to 16" .

I used a 74 brake pushed the sight block almost right to the gas block.   would look even better with gas block sight combo. Barrel cut back to for the 74brake which is long.    SBR look with 16" overall barrel.

If you do this you will need to mill down the barrel to get to an OD that the 14x1 LH tap and die will work on,  or just get the next size up die and thread end,,, then trim off thread and then retread with 14.

Don't forget to cap and crown.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was my experience too. Great parts from Apex, fit perfect on the Mak90. Since they were pre-drilled it was easy to finish drill and install the retainer pins.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top