Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2015 7:12:04 PM EDT
I want to build a Type-56 clone and I prefer the feel of a fixed wood stock over the underfolder, even though underfolders are cool. Also i prefer the look of a barrel with no underfolding bayonet. Just kinda ruins the lines of the gun. But i like my builds to be "correct".
So did the Chinese ever make Type-56s with fixed wood furniture and no bayonet? I know many were imported intot he US like that because of our silly laws. But what about the select-fire rifles you'd typically see on some battlefield somewhere? I looked all over google for pics of one but all the fixed stock guns have the underfolder bayo it seems. Atleast the "real" ones in warzones.

Did the configuration I want to make ever exist?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry i forgot to mention, i was looking specifically for stamped guns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Those two guns are probably my favorite looking, EVER.  But notice that the front sight on either does not have a hood.

But to answer your question OP, absolutely, that is a pretty standard configuration.  I know Ive seen photos of Type 56's as you described, but I can't say for certain Ive seen them in the "wild" photos. The underfolder rifle is a Type 56-1 and many had the "pig sticker" folding bayonet, but not all.  I don't like the underfolding bayonet much either, so when I did mine, I skipped on it.  
The Type 56 is one of the most common of the AK variants, I think second to the Russian version.  A stamped steel, fixed stock, non underfolding bayo rifle surely was used in combat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a wealth of AK knowledge but I do have a MAK90 (early 1994 import) and have read up on it.

From what i've picked up, the early pre MAK rifles coming into the USA were built to a higher standard for the US market, which was very demanding. Think about how meticulous many of the old gun shop curmudgeons of yesteryear all were. Tough group to please.

Rifles made and produced for legitimate (or illigitimate!) Military purchases or conflict regions were many times "bare bones" rifle's - unthreaded was common, and if threaded, a simple muzzle nut was installed and not a slant comp.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not a wealth of AK knowledge but I do have a MAK90 (early 1994 import) and have read up on it.

From what i've picked up, the early pre MAK rifles coming into the USA were built to a higher standard for the US market, which was very demanding. Think about how meticulous many of the old gun shop curmudgeons of yesteryear all were. Tough group to please.

Rifles made and produced for legitimate (or illigitimate!) Military purchases or conflict regions were many times "bare bones" rifle's - unthreaded was common, and if threaded, a simple muzzle nut was installed and not a slant comp.
View Quote

As with all things China you can order products at varying degrees of quality but they didn't just make them nicer because they were going to the US. Kengs, Prochine, Golden State, etc. all ordered their rifles with whatever configurations and degrees of finish they were willing to pay for. Polytech was considered to be a premium (and still is) over Norinco. Both were made in the same factory. Despite this the prevailing opinion was that Chinese AK's were junk and only Russian AK's were good. Essentially China would make you an AK in almost any configuration you wanted so long as you ordered enough and had the cash. As an example, OP, it seems what you're looking for is not a very popular configuration. However, Algeria picked that config for their forces:

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn that last photo there....wherever it is they don't teach the fundamentals very well...4 women and 3 of the 4 have their AK's pointed at one another....hell scratch that I just saw another woman's boots in the corner - looks like all 4 are pointing at one another....hope they aren't issued ammo.  :)
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, never thought I'd actually see those. I looked all over and couldn't find a single pic of a Type 56 in the configuration I wanted. I guess they really are uncommon. But they ARE out there and that's all the proof I need that my build is "correct". Who's to say some corrupt Algerian police official didn't sell a few of those to some warzone . My OCD can rest easy now.
After some research it seems those are actually Algerian police.
Kinda wonder why the plain old setup isn't more popular. Can't imagine the 3rd world militias really need those bayonets.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an early Norinco Type 56. They came with a stamped receiver and detachable knife bayonet. It has Bakolite furniture with a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have an early Norinco Type 56. They came with a stamped receiver and detachable knife bayonet. It has Bakolite furniture with a fixed stock.
View Quote

He said in the OP that he knows they were imported into the US like that. He wanted military examples.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top