Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/27/2015 1:22:15 PM EDT
Hi all, I've had a Mac 90 in my safe for many years. Bought it new in the early 90's cheap compared to today prices. probably has less than 200 rounds thru it. Recently retired , have more time, on my hands and have decided to order and Ironwood stock. My question is what other parts or hardware do I need to install it. I doe know it's a straight cut stock. My major concern is getting the hand guards off and putting the new ones on and how to go about that. Also things like do I need a shorter screw to mount the hand grip. the other question would be if I changed out the trigger I notice 2 kinds of G2 triggers from Tapco. not sure which one works. Thanks for any advise.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Chinese guns use a double hook trigger, but since the Chinese trigger parts are the best anywhere, I would never change them out. 1 US mag [Tapco] is about $12 & much easier to install than the trigger parts. Then just get the Ironwood pistol grip, & buttstock. No need to change the wood up front. That's 5 US parts, & you're GTG.  GARY
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info N4KVE. I just bought 4 Magpul AK mags from PSA on sale. So if I change the stock and add the pistol grip and use a USA mag I good to go.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup. GTG.  GARY
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again N4KVE. If I only change the but stock, pistol grip and use USA made mags that's only 5 parts. I thought it needed to be 6 according to a chart I saw. So if I changed the front wood out that would be 6. What about a US made gas piston? Would the ones from tapco work in a mak 90 ?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
It's five US parts for a stamped receiver AK without a muzzle device.

The grip screw used with the factory thumbhole stock is too short to attach the IWD type 56 pistol grip.  You'll need a 4.5" grip screw but have heard the extra long Polish grip screw will work.  I'll know for sure in a few days.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks JohnnyA, I was going by that 922r compliance chart where you check foreign or domestic it doesn't mention muzzle devise. I glad I don't have to change the hand guards, the stock and grip should be a piece of cake for me I've finished an refinished several stocks. I will order a screw and figure out something for the end of the stock. Looking forward to shooting it without the thumb hole stock which wasn't comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the process of debanning my MAK and went with a NOS Chinese buttstock and IWD hand guards and pistol grip.  The IWD furniture required a lot of filing to get them to fit.  Finding the metal parts can be a challenge and it seemed like the buttstock had the most metal.  I'm not sure if European metal would fit.  Already had the hand guard metal from the originals on the gun and IWD still supplied the pistol grip ferrule when I ordered.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top