Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/15/2015 2:44:12 PM EDT
got a good deal on a stamped thumbhole MAK with an underfolder receiver.
What are my options for a conventional buttstock?
thanks in advance, I promise I did a search first, I'm sure this question
has been asked a zillion times.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics?

I think these had a tang welded to the rear of the under folder receiver which has a flat backing. Therefore it won't take a standard fixed stock as the rear of the receiver is covered.

I've never converted one but am familiar with these as I keep an eye out for them. I was under the impression if you remove the rivet that is covering the under folder stock hole, a Chinese under folding stock will drop in. They pop up on gunbroker with the assembly. Some surplus sites have the stock frame itself.

Then cut off the tang that was welded on and refinish.

Again, I've never done one but this is what I have seen others do to convert them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics?

I think these had a tang welded to the rear of the under folder receiver which has a flat backing. Therefore it won't take a standard fixed stock as the rear of the receiver is covered.

I've never converted one but am familiar with these as I keep an eye out for them. I was under the impression if you remove the rivet that is covering the under folder stock hole, a Chinese under folding stock will drop in. They pop up on gunbroker with the assembly. Some surplus sites have the stock frame itself.

Then cut off the tang that was welded on and refinish.

Again, I've never done one but this is what I have seen others do to convert them.
View Quote
Just find a folder assy, & do the above. I remember seeing a few of these in 1989 just after the ban. A few actually came with the thumb hole butt stock with the folder assy folded. GARY
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Receiver looks like this? knock the tab off and grind it smooth, then hit it with some Cold Blue, then slap on an underfolder stock assembly. Doneski.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help fellas.  I'll start looking for an under folder stock
and hardware
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep I did an 84s sporter Norinco in 223, all I had to do was grind the head off of the rivet and slap the new stock on and cut the tang off and reblue, easy peasy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I made this video a while back.
Hope it helps.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top