Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2015 12:37:04 AM EDT
Well I bought a Norinco AK47. The barrel is threaded (was threaded when I bought it) I'm not sure if they come threaded or not, but I wanted to know if anyone has experiences with Norincos? I want to use my suppressor on the AK but I'm scared of a baffle strike.

Anyone have any experince in this department without sending it to a shop? or know how I can check the concentricity?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
This question comes up every once in awhile.

The Norincos come threaded 14x1 LH
Generally, the threads on AK barrels aren't trusted to be concentric to the bore.
The test is to check with a dowel rod and see if it contacts the side of the muzzle device/ suppressor.

To avoid this, you can index the can off of the muzzle itself instead of the threads; someone mentioned a silencer/muzzle device combo they used to do this in another thread, but I can't find it at the moment, maybe they'll comment.

Also, CNC warrior makes a thread adapter if your can is in 1/2x28, but that may not fix the concentricity issue.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Found it:

Quoted:

Suppressing an AK can be tricky, or used to be... if you have those 24mm threads, griffin makes an adapter for that to get you back to American thread pitch in 556 or 762... as long as it indexes properly, which griffins adapters index on the crown not the threads, so you have your best odds everything is concentric... I suppressed my AK74, and was surprised how quiet it was with the open gas system and all... not AR quiet, but no rifle really is...

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
MY MAC90 sporter appears to have threads all the way to the gas block.  Are they just milling lines or threads?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
yes  mine look like your pic.  machine marks

thanks Dragonov
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have those machine marks as well. I currently have a thread on  AAC can in ATF jail and would like to-know if it is possible to have my barrel threaded to standard 308 threads or am I S.O.L.?

Sorry if this a hijacking of this thread,Mods delete if Not Allowed
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have those machine marks as well. I currently have a thread on  AAC can in ATF jail and would like to-know if it is possible to have my barrel threaded to standard 308 threads or am I S.O.L.?

Sorry if this a hijacking of this thread,Mods delete if Not Allowed
View Quote

You'll have to measure your barrel. Some MAK's (later ones) just have bare muzzles that weren't threaded at all, and those can be threaded 14-1L. While others were previously threaded at the factory and then had the threads turned off the barrel. Depending on how much was taken off you may or may not be able to thread 1/2x28. When I hear "standard .308 thread" I think of 5/8x24. Is that the thread that your can has, or is it 14-1L? If it's the former then you can use a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 coupler, but if it's the former then I believe you are SOL without having a sleeve installed and permanently attached to the muzzle and having new threads cut.

ETA: Looks like they do make 1/2x28 to 14-1L couplers, but they'll increase the overall length when installed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#8]
That is what mine looks like and I am in the same postion op as you.... So in on this thread just saved a mk90 from a pawn shop....

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top