Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2015 4:34:35 PM EDT
Based upon my research, the total price seems more than fair, so...

I've got the opportunity to trade + cash for a MAK-90.  Basically, I'd be trading a PSA complete lower (MOE grip and stock) and $350 cash, so we'll ballpark that around $550 total.

It's a milled specimen.  Finish is in used, but decent condition.  Some doofus tried to blue the bolt prior to the previous owner and it is starting to wear off.  I don't know the round count, but the bore looks to be in good condition.

It has a Choate (or possibly ATI Fiberforce) type black Druganov style stock on it, with a black plastic handguard as well.  I can't see that any MAK-90's came this way, but I wasn't buying firearms back in the early 90's either, so...?  I've seen some MAK's trimmed out the same though, so maybe they did?  

Considering it is milled, I count 4 922(r) items that would need to be changed.  Stock, grip, and handguard, but what should I do for the 4th?  Magazine followers?  Is this rifle possibly already out of 922(r) if that Drug stock and Handguard are American made?  I don't want to go the full "re-banned" route.  I just want a functional, reliable, fun shooter with a wood stock, pistol grip, and handguard.

Sorry for some seemingly "simple" questions.  Still learning about the AK and 922(r) world.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It has a slanted rear trunion. Ironwood kit about $175 or so. Change the trigger pack and that gives you 6.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
922r is for manufacturers. You need not worry about it as an end user. This does not apply to you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats my understanding as well iv seen the text of the law about compliance parts but not the context of it. Would like to know for sure if you have any evidence for or against. I can see a financial reason as why companies would like to further this belief. If it was true than they would have recalled all the rifles that came in right after the ban that made it through with evil features as they did with the really really evil third pin hole rifles
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
In the eyes of some at ATF - it appears their interpretation can be once you alter the configuration of an imported rifle so that it no longer meets the letter of the importation - you can be viewed as "manufacturing".  
So many of us just choose to have at least 5 USA parts on our rifles in case someone has a quota to fill for the month and decides to visit a range or two.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has a slanted rear trunion. Ironwood kit about $175 or so. Change the trigger pack and that gives you 6.
View Quote

Could I change one part of the FCG? Maybe the disconnector as it would have the least effect on the trigger feel?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I happen to like the Tapco G2 kits for these rifles. Counts as 3 US parts. About $35.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I happen to like the Tapco G2 kits for these rifles. Counts as 3 US parts. About $35.
View Quote

I'm guessing the three parts are the hammer, trigger, and disco. Would the disco alone count as 1 part, or is it an all or nothing thing?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#8]
No sane person would believe that by changing a stock on a gun that you manufactured it, customized it sure, made it more ergonomic what have you. Really they are only supposed to regulate interstate commerce and not what accessories you buy. Nobody to date has ever been prosecuted of fined for some 922r crap, businesses/manufactures only. I dont think anyone has been hassled about it since it would not hold up in court. Also it is legal to make your own gun. Still would like to see the text as it was originally written when it was concocted, think its 1989 or thereabouts
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No sane person would believe that by changing a stock on a gun that you manufactured it, customized it sure, made it more ergonomic what have you. Really they are only supposed to regulate interstate commerce and not what accessories you buy. Nobody to date has ever been prosecuted of fined for some 922r crap, businesses/manufactures only. I dont think anyone has been hassled about it since it would not hold up in court. Also it is legal to make your own gun. Still would like to see the text as it was originally written when it was concocted, think its 1989 or thereabouts
View Quote

From my own research, I think you are right. It probably is a non-issue. That said, why "give the man a reason"?  Especially if all it means is changing to Ironwood furniture and swapping a disco or my magazine followers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Tap on only sells the kit.
And the .922 argument can drive you crazy.
I do know the BATFE was going to ranges in Alabama hassling some AK shooters about their rifles. A dealer friend lives there and saw it happen.
Payback for loving their AK's and not liking a certain government ideology?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Do what makes you comfortable. Ironwood makes some beautiful furniture but he gets some serious coin for it. I prefer to pick up some ugly surplus furniture for a fraction of the price and refinish it. That is what I did with the 3 Mak90s I bought recently.

I do not love AKs to begin with so I would not spend a fortune on them. I bought one because they are still legal here and I like to piss of our governor. The other two I bought cheap. I probably will sell two of them soon.

I was worried about 922r because that is all you read about. Then once I read the law and did some research I realized it does not apply to the owner. I also tried to find any cases of 922r prosecution. I could not find one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#13]
If 922 really bothers you then get the butt stock, & pistol grip from Ironwoods. Try to stain the wood to match the wood up front. The last thing you want to do on a Chinese AK is replace the EXCELLENT trigger parts with US parts that will NEVER be as good as the real deal. Then buy 1 US mag, & that will be 5 US parts. Remember, if there is no mag in the gun, it will still be Kosher as there will not be too many foreign parts, as it's the foreign parts count that matters, not the US parts count. I own 2 milled MAK's, & that's what I did. GARY
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If 922 really bothers you then get the butt stock, & pistol grip from Ironwoods. Try to stain the wood to match the wood up front. The last thing you want to do on a Chinese AK is replace the EXCELLENT trigger parts with US parts that will NEVER be as good as the real deal. Then buy 1 US mag, & that will be 5 US parts. Remember, if there is no mag in the gun, it will still be Kosher as there will not be too many foreign parts, as it's the foreign parts count that matters, not the US parts count. I own 2 milled MAK's, & that's what I did. GARY
View Quote

I've definitely heard that about Chicom AKs, and trying the trigger on this one, it feels real nice.  Not like any trigger I've really felt.  I'd like to keep that characteristic if possible, but I would think the disconnector wouldn't make a difference in the trigger feel.  It's only doing its thing while the bolt is cycling.

As for stocks, is the MILLED MAK a slant cut, or a straight cut?  It looks like a slant cut to me from the pic my buddy sent, but I can't be sure as it looks like the Drag stock is covering a corner of the back of the receiver.

If I guy wanted to get any old AK furniture to throw on there, would he be looking for straight or slant?  I like the Ironwood stuff, but the length of pull looks pretty long on them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Well if you can find  anyone who has i would be interested to  hear about it. Also nothing about 922r deals with possession so if they did for some reason try to go after someone they would have to prove that they changed the parts so whats to say you buy the parts and have your buddy change them out for you, did your manufacture the rifle or did he? I may have overstated my certainty on nobody being persecuted for 922r but i am fairly certain somebody has asked the ATF if they have ever persecuted anyone for it and the answer was no, i dont remember where exactly i read that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well if you can find  anyone who has i would be interested to  hear about it. Also nothing about 922r deals with possession so if they did for some reason try to go after someone they would have to prove that they changed the parts so whats to say you buy the parts and have your buddy change them out for you, did your manufacture the rifle or did he? I may have overstated my certainty on nobody being persecuted for 922r but i am fairly certain somebody has asked the ATF if they have ever persecuted anyone for it and the answer was no, i dont remember where exactly i read that.
View Quote

Be back later fellas... Off to write the ATF a letter to ask.

In all seriousness though, thank you all for your thoughts and input!
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#17]
All milled MAK's are slant cut. I would not change any trigger parts as I said before. Since you need a butt stock & pistol grip use them as your US parts. A milled butt stock from a surplus milled AK will not fit due to the difference in the opening at the rear of the receiver. I suggest NOT writing a letter, because this sometimes wakes the sleeping bear, & make the law worse. GARY
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All milled MAK's are slant cut. I would not change any trigger parts as I said before. Since you need a butt stock & pistol grip use them as your US parts. A milled butt stock from a surplus milled AK will not fit due to the difference in the opening at the rear of the receiver. I suggest NOT writing a letter, because this sometimes wakes the sleeping bear, & make the law worse. GARY
View Quote

I was joking about the letter.  A play on the whole Sig Brace debacle if you will.

I count a total of 4 parts needed as it is milled, therefore my trunion is part of the receiver and doesn't count.  Ironwood kit will get me 3 US parts (stock, pistol grip, and handguard), then I figure the followers can be my 4th part needed.  It will be my only AK and I have 5 steel magazines - since I don't plan for any further AKs or mags, I'll just find 5 US made followers and be done with it... if I can figure out how to remove the bottom plate on these steel mags.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Press the part sticking out if there is one and slide.
You can also have your smith change out the gas piston.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top