Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/20/2015 9:51:41 PM EDT
Hello from N.H.  Live free or die!  Im in the process of selling  a mak 90 to someone in the PRK of Connecticunt.  The gun has to be made before 94.  How can I be sure that my gun was made before then? Also what would the parts count have to be without a mag in the gun.  Sorry for being ignorant but all this stuff ive never had to deal with.  TIA, Chuck
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
All norincos were imported in to the US before the Clinton ban ( in 94) there for they are definitely all "prebans" in CT. To be 922r compliant there must be no more than 10 parts made outside of the US. If it has a threaded muzzle you will need 6 US made parts, if it does not have threaded muzzle you will need 5.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  The gun has a threaded muzzle.  I have a us PG FCG and slant brake so that's 5 parts.  I need one more.  What can I do for another us part?  Edit  I found a 5 rnd mag It has a century marked floorplate and I put a tapco follower in it.  Is the gun legal in CT now?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The gun was still legal in CT but illegal by ATF standards due to 922r.  But yes having a US follower in a mag does count as 1 part.

Eta: the FCG and muzzle device only count as 4 parts. If that mag has a US baseplate and follower you are still short 1 part. A tapco pistol grip is a cheap US part, about $10 at wallyworld, or there are other options.

FCG is trigger, disconnetor and hammer  (3)

Muzzle device (slant brake) (1)

Follower (1)
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a US pistol grip on it.  So I have a fcg,pg, floorplate, follower and slant brake, that should do it right?  That's 7 parts, 1 more than I need.  Thanks for the help especially since your from conn.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, you are correct. No problem! Any other questions shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The title of this thread is confusing, as there is no such thing as a preban MAK 90. The MAK 90 was the answer to the ban on imported military looking weapons that happened in 1989. This is the ban that 95% of the people in the USA have to deal with. However for the few who still live in commie states, they still have to deal with the 94 ban, which is still in effect, there are 2 bans. 1989, & 1994.  But every MAK 90 is still a post ban gun which came with that thumb hole buttstock to be importable into the US after the 1989 ban.  GARY
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The title of this thread is confusing, as there is no such thing as a preban MAK 90. The MAK 90 was the answer to the ban on imported military looking weapons that happened in 1989. This is the ban that 95% of the people in the USA have to deal with. However for the few who still live in commie states, they still have to deal with the 94 ban, which is still in effect, there are 2 bans. 1989, & 1994.  But every MAK 90 is still a post ban gun which came with that thumb hole buttstock to be importable into the US after the 1989 ban.  GARY
View Quote

OP asked about selling to CT. pre ban in CT is prior to Sept 1994. All Norincos are pre-ban for CT purposes.

it can be confusing when dealing with CT. If it was made or imported prior to 9/13/94 it is good to go in CT.

922r is nothing to worry about. You do not have to make it 922r compliant to sell it or take possession of it. let the buyer decide if he cares about 922r. I do not think anyone has been arrested for 922r non-compliance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
As I said, ALL MAK 90's are post ban guns. The OP should have asked if a MAK90 made in 94 can be sold in CT, being a pre 94 ban gun. PRE BAN refers to the 89 ban. PRE 94 BAN refers to the ban those who choose to live in a few commie states still have to deal with. GARY
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As I said, ALL MAK 90's are post ban guns. The OP should have asked if a MAK90 made in 94 can be sold in CT, being a pre 94 ban gun. PRE BAN refers to the 89 ban. PRE 94 BAN refers to the ban those who choose to live in a few commie states still have to deal with. GARY
View Quote

Seems like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. In CT a preban is PRE 94 regardless if all the other crap.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Not at all. I'm just tired of seeing people misrepresent  their guns for 98% of the US gun owning world. There is still a big difference in value between a PRE BAN gun, & a PRE 94 BAN gun, even in CT. Seems to me a PRE BAN Poly Legend is worth a hell of a lot more than a PRE 94 BAN milled MAK 90. Wouldn't you agree? Or a stamped PRE BAN AK 47 vs a PRE 94 BAN stamped MAK 90. Even in CT, the PRE BAN AK is worth much more than the PRE 94 BAN MAK 90. Right???  GARY
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not at all. I'm just tired of seeing people misrepresent  their guns for 98% of the US gun owning world. There is still a big difference in value between a PRE BAN gun, & a PRE 94 BAN gun, even in CT. Seems to me a PRE BAN Poly Legend is worth a hell of a lot more than a PRE 94 BAN milled MAK 90. Wouldn't you agree? Or a stamped PRE BAN AK 47 vs a PRE 94 BAN stamped MAK 90. Even in CT, the PRE BAN AK is worth much more than the PRE 94 BAN MAK 90. Right???  GARY
View Quote

Yes but I don't see why this offends you so much the OP did specify CT preban but hey what ever floats your boat I guess.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Read the title of this thread.   "mak 90 preban".  That's called an "oxymoron".
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, im done feeding the trolls for the day....internet serious business
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Gary as much as I agree with you about people misrepresenting pre-postban guns the truth is most people aren't tuned into the history of these firearms importation into the usa. I have learned so much from others on this site like yourself who were probly at more of a legal age when this was happening. Quite frankly it can be confusing when dealing with ban states. Please keep it cool it's your duty to enlighten the masses.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Just trying to enlighten the masses, so nobody pays $1000 to buy a gun advertised as "preban" only to discover they paid double the value & got a postban MAK90. Those guns should clearly be described as "postban", & "pre 94 ban" guns for the benefit of the 5% who live in commie ststes. Then the rest of us in the USA will know to stay away, or offer the true value the "post ban" gun is truly worth. Nobody in a free state wants to pay "preban" price for a gun advertised as such, only to find out it's a "postban", or "pre 94 ban". GARY
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree however most people don't know what they have when its a older imported ak. Which is why I was able to buy a sile ny 56s in a pawnshop 4 years ago for 400. Most people don't  have a clue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I agree however most people don't know what they have when its a older imported ak. Which is why I was able to buy a sile ny 56s in a pawnshop 4 years ago for 400. Most people don't  have a clue.
View Quote
Which is why the original owner of the Sile probably sold it to the pawn shop for $200, allowing them to still double their money. Not too long ago the LGS where I work took in 2 Bulgy SA-93's for $250 each. They were mint, & we too doubled our money.  GARY
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#19]
MAK 90=Modified AK.  
Anyone who clicks on this thread should comprehend that a MAK 90 is a firearm that was created to get around the 89 ban.  SO it is postban to everyone in the US including states like CT.  The difference lies in the fact that it is a featureless rifle and manufactured prior to the Clinton 94 ban.  In states like CT this matters, and to us, this is PREBAN.  Everyone in CT calls a MAK 90 preban.  But we all understand that it is post 89 ban, and is a featureless version of the Type 56 rifle, and also needs to follow 922R when debanned because of this.

This thread mentions a MAK90, and it also mentions CT.  So calling it preban is accurate.  

So for Gary's sake, everyone call a MAK90 a AWB Preban from now on

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top