Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2014 7:16:08 PM EDT
A friend if the family was selling a MAK-90 . He Purchased it back in the 90s , only shot it a few times ...parked it in his safe.
I heard that he was selling it , he offered it to me for a pretty good price in my opinion ($600). I told him today that I would take it.

Pretty happy , but I know the first thing I need is a new butt stock and mags.

I have already picked up about 800 rounds of ammo.

I remember shouldering the rifle awhile ago and thought to myself , pretty nice rifle but this clunky thumb hole stock doesn't fit my hand / thumb.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A friend if the family was selling a MAK-90 . He Purchased it back in the 90s , only shot it a few times ...parked it in his safe.
I heard that he was selling it , he offered it to me for a pretty good price in my opinion ($600). I told him today that I would take it.

Pretty happy , but I know the first thing I need is a new butt stock and mags.

I have already picked up about 800 rounds of ammo.

I remember shouldering the rifle awhile ago and thought to myself , pretty nice rifle but this clunky thumb hole stock doesn't fit my hand / thumb.

View Quote

Congrats man!  Have fun debanning it!
Chinese AK's are addicting
And if your removing the thumbhole stock read up on 922R.
I held mine for a few minutes before ripping the thumbhole stock off of it....I knew there was no way in hell I was ever firing it with that thing on it.  Remember, it was never designed to have that stock on it.
Check out the chinese pic thread to get yourself excited!  I actually just took a few pics today and posted them up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Part of what I always wanted was an ak with a died folding stock
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Part of what I always wanted was an ak with a died folding stock
View Quote

I have a Mak 90 from the 90's as well. It has run for 20 plus years very well. It had a lot of trigger slap, so recently I replaced it with a Tapco, (which some people said I was crazy for doing) The new trigger is more pleasant to shoot. I also put an Ultimak gas tube/rail combo which allows me to put a Primary Arms MD 06 red dot on it in a semi scout setup. It works great!! I was also looking for a side folder stock at one point, but after some research was dissappoointed to find out that it would be a major pain in the ass to try to put a side folder on it. I went with standard shape black poly buttstock, and a polymer foregrip. It has grown on me. Be sure to put enough parts in to the gun to meet the 922r regs.

Shoot the crap out of the rifle and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on the Mak-90…you will enjoy it. Agree that replacing the thumbhole stock is a great idea, tried modifying the one on my PolyTech and could tell it was just not gonna be right, so off it came and a NOS stock was installed…after a small color mod.

Before
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/IMG_0763_zps9ebb2db2.jpg

First attempt
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/IMG_0779_zps3c23c33a.jpg

Now
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/IMG_0856_zpseff5c41c.jpg

The Norinko has evolved as well…
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/IMG_0853_zps84d01a32.jpg
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
OK
Just got back from picking it up , very good shape
Will start to research 922 regs

Very pleased , seems very tight for an AK, good trigger
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK
Just got back from picking it up , very good shape
Will start to research 922 regs

Very pleased , seems very tight for an AK, good trigger
View Quote

Nice man, but the rules are you have to post a pic!

The easiest way to do 922R in my opinion is as follows;
If your barrel is threaded, you need 6 US parts
If your barrel is NOT threaded, you need 5 US parts

Tapco FCG-3 parts
IWD wood-3 parts

Takes care of it all, either way
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Not very good at pics , but I posted a couple of quick shots

It's a stamped receiver , but seems very well put together and trigger is very good

Basic questions.
The ironwood stocks are very nice , but I'm wanting a folder of some sort . If you have a side folder can you still fire and operate the rifle like normal ? How about an under folder ? The side folder seems the easiest , but I am totally new to the AK
Is there anyway to adapt or use a Chinese type 56 AK type side folder ?

MAGs
1. How are the Magpul ?
2. Why are the Bakelite so expensive ?

Is it ok to thread the barrel to accept a muzzle device ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Congratulations on the Mak-90…you will enjoy it. Agree that replacing the thumbhole stock is a great idea, tried modifying the one on my PolyTech and could tell it was just not gonna be right, so off it came and a NOS stock was installed…after a small color mod.

Before
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/IMG_0763_zps9ebb2db2.jpg

First attempt
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/IMG_0779_zps3c23c33a.jpg

Now
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/IMG_0856_zpseff5c41c.jpg

The Norinko has evolved as well…
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/IMG_0853_zps84d01a32.jpg
View Quote

Trans4ormer
Nice rifles , the image that says "now" ...did you trim the wood stock or is that a stock you purchased ?

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not very good at pics , but I posted a couple of quick shots

It's a stamped receiver , but seems very well put together and trigger is very good

Basic questions.
The ironwood stocks are very nice , but I'm wanting a folder of some sort . If you have a side folder can you still fire and operate the rifle like normal ? How about an under folder ? The side folder seems the easiest , but I am totally new to the AK
Is there anyway to adapt or use a Chinese type 56 AK type side folder ?

MAGs
1. How are the Magpul ?
2. Why are the Bakelite so expensive ?

Is it ok to thread the barrel to accept a muzzle device ?
View Quote

I cant remember if you posted if it is a slant or flat cut receiver.  If it is flat it is easy to put a side folder stock on it.  If its slant-I think its almost impossible, but of course it can be done with welding/etc.
There are no Type 56 side folders.  The Chinese never did side folders.  But with a flat cut receiver you can use any other countries side folder.
As far as the underfolder....you cant really do an underfolder either because its not an underfolder receiver.  You would need the holes in the receiver to mount the UF stock.

To determine if you have a flat or slant cut receiver....unscrew the 2 stock screws on top, and unscrew the pistol grip screw from the bottom and the stock will slide off and you can see what cut you have.

Mags
1. Dunno, I'm sure fine though
2. I'm not really sure but they are cool, and I dont have any yet either
-Definitely pick up some steel surplus mags though....especially if you like the vintage chinese AK look.

Yep you sure can thread your barrel....but then you need to have 6 US made parts for 922R if you remove the thumbhole stock.

My IWD wood just came in today......and my MAK looked just like yours about 2 months ago(except it is an underfolder receiver-I just had to bring it back to its former glory).  Its now 922R compliant, and fully debanned, and about to have brand new wood

Hope this helps man

These are before and after pics.....and the second was taken today with the IWD wood!

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top