Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/13/2014 2:28:58 PM EDT
I have a straight receiver and thumbhole stock but want to take the original wood off to give it a standared AK look. Is there a specific type of wood/tube
that I would need or just any thing will work?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#1]
any standard stamped receiver ak stock/pistol grip will work the only difference is that you will only have 1 screw holding in your butt stock
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
OP,

Chinese "Chu" wood is sometimes available and it is what you want.

The poster above is correct that you can use most surplus stamped AK wood. That said, the receiver is thicker on a Mak so, you would most likely have to shave surplus euro wood to fit.  The results would function but, still not look correct.  The last time I converted a Mak, I found a seller in Finland that had polytech stocks for reasonable prices and kept the factory hand guards.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Chespest place to get a chinese stock is here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Chinese-Norinco-butt-stock-NOS-UNISSUED-NEW-/111350026187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ecfa8fcb

And then of course you have to play 922r.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm doing the same thing and ordered one of the stocks from finland off of ebay. $45 + $20 shipping. Don't know if its a good deal or not. The Mak I have had an aftermarket stock and hand guards so I'm looking for wood hand guards with the metal. Ferrules are hard to find. Will any of the AK hand guards work? What about the AKM hand guards that RTG has, will they work?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not just use IWD.

If your swapping stocks on a MAC then you have to abide by 922R anyways.  SO a new stock set is 3 parts right there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
IWD has good looking stocks but no ferrules. The stock from finland has all the hardware and is a new chinese stock. I need hand guards and hardware now, particularly the ferrule. Numrich has the metal springs and stuff but I just don't know which hand guards will work on a MAK.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]
RTG has the OEM chinese chu wood stocks…you will have to do some sanding to fit, but they have the original/right shape, steel butt plate and sling loop. As far as 922r…I installed a Tapco trigger (3), Saw pistol grip (1) and magazine (3)…more than enough to comply.

from;
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/ak73626AM_zps85c50bc9.jpg

to;
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/Trans4ormer/IMG_0855_zps648c2691.jpg
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top