Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/6/2014 3:48:14 PM EDT
Hey guys, completely new to the AK47 forum, and new to AK's in general.
I just picked up a Norinco Ak47 sporter last night, so I've been reading a lot about the chinese rifles.  

I dont have it yet, but I'll post a pic of it anyways.

So I'm planning on installing an under folding stock on it, so I got the receiver that has the holes through it that have been blocked off, and a thumbhole stock added.  So what is confusing me is whether this is considered the underfolder trunnion, would it still be there in the receiver for the underfolder stock?  If I removed the "plug", is this the trunnion for an underfolder; so I wouldnt need to buy an underfolding stock kit with a trunnion?
Or would the underfolding trunnion have been removed when the stock tang was added?

I'm also assuming that only a chinese underfolder will work?  Or can I use any?

Any info that might help would be great!

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of those in 223.  It has the underfolder trunnion.  My gun has a European stock that goes straight back, not angled down like the Chinese.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of those in 223.  It has the underfolder trunnion.  My gun has a European stock that goes straight back, not angled down like the Chinese.
View Quote

Thanks for the response!
SO your pretty much telling me that any underfolder will work?
Ive read that the romanian almost certainly will....
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone else had already installed the stock on mine.  I did swap out the gas block and FSB with surplus Bulgarian AK47 parts so I could add the cleaning rod and type 1 bayonet.   An under folding spike bayonet would look very cool on yours.

ETA
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same questions when I got my MAK 90 about 12 years ago. After running with a ATI kit for all these years I decided to turn the rifle back to its original use. I ended up finding an original back Trunnion. I had a smith put it on and re-rivet it. Most just grind off the back tang and re- blue it, while others keep it on. I'm not sure why because to me, they looks like $hit but what ever floats your boat. Concerning the under-folder, once the hole covers are removed (btw at this point, you are really committed !!) I know for sure you can use Bulgarian milled underfolder stocks, and of course Chinese stocks. I have no experience with Romanian's, but from what others have said, it looks like you can.  My particular under-folder slants like a Chinese but I thought I had a milled Bulgarian stock. Do a search on YouTube or Google to figure out how to put it on, it's pretty easy. Also pay attention if you what to keep it looking original - you'll want a single locking stock without multiple rivets in the stock. It's kind of hard to explain but if you study the pictures you'll understand the differences in style. Good luck and post pictures when you are done or it didn't happen.

http://home.comcast.net/~dspurloc/temp/Underfolder2.jpg

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Also keep in mind Euro receivers are 1" in width (diameter) while Chinese are 1.5" in diameter. I never ran into issues with it but I thought I would throw that out there as others have mentioned it during my research. If you want any additional pics please let me know, thanks.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also keep in mind Euro receivers are 1" in width (diameter) while Chinese are 1.5" in diameter. I never ran into issues with it but I thought I would throw that out there as others have mentioned it during my research. If you want any additional pics please let me know, thanks.
View Quote

The Euro receivers are formed from 1mm thick sheet steel, whereas the Chinese receivers are 1.5mm thickness.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Btw- you received a bonus as you purchased a real, one-tab, Norinco mak-90 sling. They are getting rarer all the time. I'm not an expert but you have a good buy and can turn the weapon into what most dream of. You need to school up on 922r as this weapon is a prime candidate. Even though my picture shows a foreign magazine, I run my MAK as follows - Tapco magazines (which count for 3 parts) plus Ironwood furniture (Hand guards, Pistol grip - two more parts) plus an American slate brake ( 1 more part- I had threads on my barrel). Have fun, Chicoms are a blast to shoot.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the correction and sorry for the confusion, I get stupid on metric and inch discussions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks a lot dspurlock!  All that info helps!  
So right now finding the hardware for the underfolder is proving tough.  I'm looking to get a single locking kit, so any country of origin that makes those, and then a Chinese stock.  So I think either Romanian or Bulgarian for the hardware.  

Yea I knew this is a pretty rare receiver.  And when I saw it on gunbroker I was in shock so I didn't want to lose it.  But now I have to figure out how to deal with the 922r.  It's gonna be hard for me since I'm a clone AR guy,  so I like my stuff to be as original and accurate as possible, and now with the ak it's gonna be tough to reconfigure to new American parts.  I just couldn't pass up on the deal compared to going with an 89 preban.

So hopefully I'll have some pics up this week when it comes in!
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I like to put in a Tapco FCG. It will count as 3 parts, about $30, provides a nice trigger pull and really easy to install. Especially if you get a Red Star retaining plate($6) to replace the Chinese wire retaining plate.
Slant brake as mentioned or muzzle nut is also easy, won't affect function & count as another part.
Then maybe a US follower andUS floorplate would be my choice.
There goes your 6 parts.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like to put in a Tapco FCG. It will count as 3 parts, about $30, provides a nice trigger pull and really easy to install. Especially if you get a Red Star retaining plate($6) to replace the Chinese wire retaining plate.
Slant brake as mentioned or muzzle nut is also easy, won't affect function & count as another part.
Then maybe a US follower andUS floorplate would be my choice.
There goes your 6 parts.
View Quote

Honestly, if you can avoid replacing the chinese FCG, do so, because they are the nicest factory triggers on an AK.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Honestly, if you can avoid replacing the chinese FCG, do so, because they are the nicest factory triggers on an AK.
View Quote

In this case other options would be US gas piston & US furniture. Maybe furniture from Ironwood.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Or you could run US mags, and Ironwood Furniture and not screw around with the well built stuff (FCG, Pistons, etc). US mags are fine for the range.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I have heard that if you thread or have a threaded muzzle, then you just need one more u.s. part, effectively making a us break a good idea but a moot point in terms of part count. Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or you could run US mags, and Ironwood Furniture and not screw around with the well built stuff (FCG, Pistons, etc). US mags are fine for the range.

View Quote

Im not a fan of changing the piston but I believe Tapco or RedStar FCGs are pretty solid. Definitely good enough for the range also.
I have had no problems with Tapco mags either.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have heard that if you thread or have a threaded muzzle, then you just need one more u.s. part, effectively making a us break a good idea but a moot point in terms of part count. Can anyone confirm this?
View Quote

A muzzle device is counted as one more part so if you install one you would need one additional US part. It doesnt necessarily have to be the muzzle device. I dont think having a threaded muzzle alone requires an additional US part.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A muzzle device is counted as one more part so if you install one you would need one additional US part. It doesnt necessarily have to be the muzzle device. I dont think having a threaded muzzle alone requires an additional US part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then, just use a US made muzzle/slant brake like I did. It looks identical to an original slant brake but has usa stamped on it. Done- you have enough US parts and you don't have to go messing with the parts that "work" on your rifle, like the FCG. That would be the last set of parts I would screw round with.  YMMV-

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]
My compliance parts....

muzzle device
pistol grip
handguards
follower
floorplate

and one more part.....dont know which to do.....
I want to use stamped steel mags-so no tapco...
and dont want to mess with internals-want to keep it as accurate to the original as possible..

Figured I'd update this thread...this is my MAK as it sits right now-
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking nice!

Check out the link below. Unfortunately, it looks like you have to replace an internal.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looking nice!

Check out the link below. Unfortunately, it looks like you have to replace an internal.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

View Quote

Thanks man, yea actually I went with different parts, but I just havent updated this thread.

IWD Pistol Grip (1 part)
IWD Handguards (1 part)
Tapco slant brake (1 part)
TAPCO G2 Doube Hook FCG (3 parts)

For a total of 6

Right now I'm working on swapping out the FSB so I can mount a cleaning rod on this.
I got all the parts, now just waiting on a 12 ton press to get here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Well here it is DEBANNED

Just waiting on some IWD furniture and itll be completely done!
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:28:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Did you switch out the gas block too?
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Did you switch out the gas block too?
View Quote

Nope it's the only thing I'm not bothering with.  I have no desire to ever mount a bayo on it and if I did I would do an underfolder, so this fsb wouldnt work anyways....but I have no plans to do this either.
Side note...Chinese trigger; much nicer than the Tapco g2.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#24]
BR- is that an AK-47 FSB?  Is so you can attach a type 1 bayonet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
BR- is that an AK-47 FSB?  Is so you can attach a type 1 bayonet.
View Quote

Its a Bulgarian AK47 FSB, and Really?
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes.  It hooks on to the cleaning rod retainer part of the FSB.  OOS but this is what you want.  You'll notice the release mechanism is up near the blade.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/polish-type-bayonet-p-1582.html

btw nice job on the conversion.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes.  It hooks on to the cleaning rod retainer part of the FSB.  OOS but this is what you want.  You'll notice the release mechanism is up near the blade.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/polish-type-bayonet-p-1582.html

btw nice job on the conversion.
View Quote

Oh wow good to know!  I thought all the bayonets hooked up to the gas block bayonet lugs except for underfolders.  Thanks for that info.
And thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Is the cleaning rod on there solid?
I'm curious how it is without the gas block loop securing it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea it locks up very solid.  The gas block actually still pushes on the rod to give it a lot of tension, so it doesn't move at all.  Ill be shooting it today so I'll report back if the rod falls off. I'll take some close up pics if the area later so u can see how it rests on the gas block too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yea it locks up very solid.  The gas block actually still pushes on the rod to give it a lot of tension, so it doesn't move at all.  Ill be shooting it today so I'll report back if the rod falls off. I'll take some close up pics if the area later so u can see how it rests on the gas block too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have done a awesome job with you Mak.I have put a couple hundred rounds through mine so far. Take some shooting gloves along the hand guard cap gets hot as hell after about 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks.
Yeah one of those underfolding bayonets would be the ultimate!
With one of Tortorts FSBs its fairly affordable too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Yea I like looking at the underfolding spikers, but I dont have much of a desire to have one on this lol
I'm sorry the pics suck, but you can get the idea.....there is a groove on the bottom of the gas block that lets the cleaning rod sit in it.  It creates a lot of tension, and the cleaning rod is actually pretty difficult to remove and install.

As far as shooting, it was great today!  No issues...here's a quick vid of my wife and I shooting it.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You have done a awesome job with you Mak.I have put a couple hundred rounds through mine so far. Take some shooting gloves along the hand guard cap gets hot as hell after about 20 rounds.
View Quote

Thanks man!  Yea I've done about the same, and your not kidding
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the pics.
That makes sense it sits in the groove.
The MAK 90s I have seen have had the cleaning rod loop completely milled off so I was a little skeptical on the rod staying secure.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pics.
That makes sense it sits in the groove.
The MAK 90s I have seen have had the cleaning rod loop completely milled off so I was a little skeptical on the rod staying secure.
View Quote

Yea this rifle is on the weird side....it doesn't even say mak90 on it, only ak47 sporter....the cleaning rod hole in the handguard retainer wasn't even filled in haha.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:20:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Hmm. Might be one of those caught in the ban huh?
Either way glad it s debanned.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hmm. Might be one of those caught in the ban huh?
Either way glad it s debanned.
View Quote

Wow I missed this post a while ago, and just realized when I came in to update the thread!
But yea Its definitely one of the rifles caught when the ban struck on its way into the country.

So I just got my IWD wood today....2 months to the day!
Planning on using Bullseye Amber Shellac with some red dye mixed in to get the color as close as possible to the original chinese wood thats on it now.
And since its impossible to tell in the pic, the grip is checkered as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow love that
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wow love that
View Quote

Haha Thanks man!
I just posted in your thread too lol
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:30:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice!
Its gonna be official especially with that Chinese pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nice!
Its gonna be official especially with that Chinese pistol grip.
View Quote

Whoops I forgot to update this thread again! haha
So I finished up everything a day or two after I got the IWD wood.
This is it now....and finally done

Indoor/Outdoor

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Finish looks great man!
Now thats a proper Chinese AK.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top