BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2014 7:29:13 AM EDT
Hello everyone,
I just picked up my first AK and so far I love it! But I hate the butthole stock. lol
When I was at my LGS a few weeks ago I bought it on a whim, I didn't even know they were legal in my state.
From my limited research it seems these mak-90's are on the rarer side Yes? No?
All numbers seem to match serial #346** it has a oval with a 386 inside. If anyone can tell me some more info that would be great.
I would like to find out what my options are for furniture and possibly put on a spiker and brake too (if there is enough material to thread the barrel). I found out I'm limited on what stock I can use due to the slant receiver.
I will most likey go with a type 56 stock and maybe in the future go with a underfolder if it's possible to do. If anyone can elaborate on how to modify it for a underfolder please tell.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Ironwood makes  a slant replacement stock set for that model.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
It's an AKM...

You wouldn't call an AR-15 an M-16, would you?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes Iron Wood designs makes a brand new stock for the slant receiver and you could also check gunbroker there are sometimes people selling used stock sets.Also you have a milled receiver if you didn't know already.Looks nice there a blast to shoot.Sounds like your from CT
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's an AKM...

View Quote

Seriously who gives a shit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Isn't an AKM, by definition, a stamped receiver version? I seem to remember the M came after the AK went from milled to stamped sheet metal.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an AKM...

Isn't an AKM, by definition, a stamped receiver version? I seem to remember the M came after the AK went from milled to stamped sheet metal.

Yes, and the AKMs have a different FSB and thinner barrel profile.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an AKM...

Aren't all AKM's technically Russian as well
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Finding a milled Chinese stock set
Is gonna be tough as there are many more stamped sets floating around. Great rifle but definitely swap that stock ASAP to something more traditional.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an AKM...

Technically its the AKM "pattern" of rifles, and you could also call Maadis "Russian" AKMs since they were built on Russian tooling.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want, you can replace the gas block and front sight tower with a Polish Milled gas block and front sight; then add a cleaning rod and thread the barrel in 13X1 Left Hand thread for a muzzle protector, that way you can attach a 1st pattern Bayonet.

POLISH GAS BLOCK

POLISH FRONT SIGHT BASE

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is a Chinese Spiker FSB:
http://www.tortort.com/products/
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies everyone!
So after I change the furniture, the next mod as suggested by Black-Tiger and MAC21500 should be the threads, gas block, front sight and spiker.  Which I will do soon because I really like the traditional style look.
Like I said before, I have limited knowledge about the AK platform I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them so if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Now about the threading of the barrel,  Do you guys do them yourself or have someone else do it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes Iron Wood designs makes a brand new stock for the slant receiver and you could also check gunbroker there are sometimes people selling used stock sets.Also you have a milled receiver if you didn't know already.Looks nice there a blast to shoot.Sounds like your from CT
View Quote

Thanks and... yeah
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So after I change the furniture, the next mod as suggested by Black-Tiger and MAC21500 should be the threads, gas block, front sight and spiker.  Which I will do soon because I really like the traditional style look.
Like I said before, I have limited knowledge about the AK platform I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them so if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Now about the threading of the barrel,  Do you guys do them yourself or have someone else do it?
View Quote

You can do it yourself if you have the tools and are comfortable with pressing the gas block and FSB off/on; you can thread it with hand tools, CNC warrior makes the 14x1LH dies.
Send it to an AK gunsmith and have them press the parts off, thread the barrel and press your new parts on, buy the spike assy. from Polytechparts.

Here is what it looks like with the Tort tort FSB and spike(This guy has his spike installed upside-down, the notches are supposed to face down when folded forward so it can lock in position):
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Great! Thanks MAC21500
I think I'll try doing it myself once I get more familiar with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here is what it looks like with the Tort tort FSB and spike(This guy has his spike installed upside-down, the notches are supposed to face down when folded forward so it can lock in position):
View Quote

Sheesh.....I changed it okay, just to make you guys happy, lol.

Really not any more comfortable shooting it that way, the two ridges still gouge your hand, at least with it the other way you could cup your hand and the single ridge really wouldn't touch you.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did them myself, mine had previously been threaded, then had the threads ground off, so I had to go with 1/2x28 thread pattern, if yours has not been threaded previously and the muzzle has an OD of .550 or so, you can do 14x1 LH. Either way, CNC Warrior has all the parts needed to do it yourself, also Dinzag is a good source too. It's not hard at all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Just miked it the barrel is 0.555 or 14mm, time to pick up the die soon.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just miked it the barrel is 0.555 or 14mm, time to pick up the die soon.

View Quote

Cool, it's really easy, just go slow. There's a set of basic instructions in .pdf format on CNC warriors site. Slow and easy, 1/8 turn or less then back, every 2-3 complete revolutions back the whole thing off and blow out all the chips, use plenty of oil, do NOT let the TAT face touch the muzzle face, check it frequently and back it off more turns as needed until you have threaded down so far you can pull it completely.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Depending on how much $$ you want to spend .....You can send it off to Turbothis  at mygunsnorthwest and have him weld up the rear of the receiver to square it back up and machine it to accept the traditional milled receiver buttstock. Of course you will then need to refinish it and Mario at POHF does a great job reproducing the Chinese blued finish.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Depending on how much $$ you want to spend .....You can send it off to Turbothis  at mygunsnorthwest and have him weld up the rear of the receiver to square it back up and machine it to accept the traditional milled receiver buttstock. Of course you will then need to refinish it and Mario at POHF does a great job reproducing the Chinese blued finish.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I have a IronWood stock I am waiting on that is made for this type of MAK.
I thought I read somewhere Turbothis also modified the slanted MAKs for a folder, is that true?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an AKM...

This.

It's a fucking AK. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I have a IronWood stock I am waiting on that is made for this type of MAK.
I thought I read somewhere Turbothis also modified the slanted MAKs for a folder, is that true?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet he can do that no problem.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I finally got my stock set from IronWood. I am now in the process finding a color I like.

What stain, oil, ect, are you guys using to get the Chinese blonde color?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Or you could put the ironwood stock on it and shoot the shit out of it. You could spend your money on ammo and mags instead of silly shit like polish parts, welding up the slant cut, and custom blue jobs. Its an AK.  It's a turd by design. A tool meant to be used. Doing all this custom shit to a chicom AK is the firearms equivalent to ricing out a civic.

dont let these guys suck you into a vortex of stupidity by convincing you that throwing money at an AK is some kind of investment. Pistol grip stock set, mags, ammo. Anything else is wasting money.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Or you could put the ironwood stock on it and shoot the shit out of it. You could spend your money on ammo and mags instead of silly shit like polish parts, welding up the slant cut, and custom blue jobs. Its an AK.  It's a turd by design. A tool meant to be used. Doing all this custom shit to a chicom AK is the firearms equivalent to ricing out a civic.

dont let these guys suck you into a vortex of stupidity by convincing you that throwing money at an AK is some kind of investment. Pistol grip stock set, mags, ammo. Anything else is wasting money.
View Quote
This guy is right on the money, & that's exactly what I did with mine. If you view photo's of Chinese soldiers in China with Chinese AK's, they do NOT have threaded barrels. However, they are threaded on Chinese AK's exported to other countries. Stain the wood, put it on the gun, & spend the rest on ammo.  GARY
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I figured the same thing. All AK types are 1 trick ponies. You buy AKs for that 1 trick it does (which it does very well)

I see my AK as a reliable piece of crap

The only time you are allowed to pimp out an AK is when your wife pimps her AK out with a Hello Kitty set. hehehe
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I appreciate you guys looking out for me... but nobody is convincing me to do anything, I like nice stuff and customize it the way I want it.
A few months ago I didn't know shit about AKs and the guys on this forum and others helped me find the answers I was looking for.

And BTW, your wrong about Chinese AKs as an investment, look at the prices from 5 years ago and what the prices are today.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I appreciate you guys looking out for me... but nobody is convincing me to do anything, I like nice stuff and customize it the way I want it.
A few months ago I didn't know shit about AKs and the guys on this forum and others helped me find the answers I was looking for.

And BTW, your wrong about Chinese AKs as an investment, look at the prices from 5 years ago and what the prices are today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gonna say the same thing....

So how are you finishing the wood, bullseye shellac, or are you going for more of the blonde look still?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#30]
What's up M,
I found a couple of colors I somewhat like so far, I mixed up a few color samples of golden oak and ipswich pine at work and i think golden oak with a tint of yellow is gonna be the winner.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What's up M,
I found a couple of colors I somewhat like so far, I mixed up a few color samples of golden oak and ipswich pine at work and i think golden oak with a tint of yellow is gonna be the winner.
View Quote

Nice man, cant wait to see it....
All of the wood trim and doors in my house are golden oak mixed with golden pecan...so I can imagine with some yellow that that will look good.  I'm trying to decide if I want the orange reddish color or the blonde yellow color still.  So I definitely want to see yours first

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Your money! Do what you want with it! We are all individuals! With that said! The AK rifle is a beautiful gun & a magnificent mechanical tool (semiautomatic / self loading).  She looks good with just the pistol grip & no break or a slant break (does help with the venting of the gases upward & to the side to counter the muzzle movement).

But make sure to shoot it! That's where all the fun is!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Bullseye Amber Shellac from home depot is a DEAD MATCH for the Chinese shellac.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what was used on my Ironwoods butt stock, & was a 100% match to my hand guards.  Go for it.  GARY
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is what was used on my Ironwoods butt stock, & was a 100% match to my hand guards.  Go for it.  GARY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard that guys have had success with adding a couple drops of red dye to the bullseye amber shellac to get the exact color.....but I think the chinese wood has so many variations when it comes to finishes that it probably depends on the shade that it actually on your specific rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I heard that guys have had success with adding a couple drops of red dye to the bullseye amber shellac to get the exact color.....but I think the chinese wood has so many variations when it comes to finishes that it probably depends on the shade that it actually on your specific rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to agree here, how many millions of rifles produced over the years? I can see the Chinese QC guys at the factory now, holding them up to the light, inspecting the finishes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Congrats, you bought perhaps the best quality AK ever made.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I finally got my stock set from IronWood. I am now in the process finding a color I like.

<a href="http://s610.photobucket.com/user/jzee28/media/051_zpsb340c4af.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/jzee28/051_zpsb340c4af.jpg</a>

View Quote

That's a nice looking stock set!  About how long did it take you to get it from IronWood once he got your order?  I need to order one for my MAK as well...

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's a nice looking stock set!  About how long did it take you to get it from IronWood once he got your order?  I need to order one for my MAK as well...

-Derek
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s610.photobucket.com/user/jzee28/media/051_zpsb340c4af.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/jzee28/051_zpsb340c4af.jpg</a>

-Derek

Thanks, Now hopefully I can find the time to stain it this weekend.
It took exactly 3 months.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I finally found some time to stain and seal the stock set, now it only needs a finish coat and it's done.
Pictures were taken with my ipotato in crappy lighting so it looks darker then what it is.

Stained

Couple of coats of sealer

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Good, now slap it back together and post picks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:34:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Nice!
I am always a fan of debanning neutered AKs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Here it is finally done!

Outside in shade :

Outside in sun:

Inside:
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Very Nice rifle. Awesome finishing work and you picked the right parts that needed to be replaced to de-fang it. Now go shoot the darn thing and let us know how it goes
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man don't let anybody blow ya smoke. The Mak 90 is one of the best battle rifles ever built. There is absolutly no reason why you can't have a battle rifle that looks good also. I happen to own 4, one with the Chinese under folder and I wouldn't sell them for all the money in the world. Iron wood makes an excellent product. When I converted my Hungarian SA 85M to 922r I ordered an American Dark walnut set from them and that gun is simply a thing of beauty now as well as being ready for anything.Keep goin the way your going and you will never be sorry.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Looks awesome
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought a MAK 90 milled with slant receiver almost a year ago.  Even though I want to go with Ironwood furniture and put all the historic parts on it, I enjoy shooting the stupid thing to much as is.  Even the butt-hole stock set doesn't bother me as much when I shoot it, only when I look at it.  That said, the furniture you picked looks great.  I love the AK platform, it's where I started, not the AR.  I bought and sold a Polytech Legend a few months ago and bought my first AR with the cash, and had 1500 left over.  AK's are awesome... shoot the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#48]
OP your mak came out very nice.

I have one with a butt hole stock and I think I may try that stock set you have if I can come up with the scratch.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP your mak came out very nice.

I have one with a butt hole stock and I think I may try that stock set you have if I can come up with the scratch.

View Quote

Thanks everyone!

Do it! you won't regret it.
IronWood Design is the only game in town when it comes to buttstocks for a milled MAK 90 slant cut receiver.

While the butthole stock is comfortable, it is just too fugly IMO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#50]
What type of wood did you choose for your stock set? That set looks great!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top