Those are my favorite
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Note lack of barrel threads.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
View Quote

Most Chinese export AK's don't have threads. Apparently muzzle threads cost extra.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Most Chinese export AK's don't have threads. Apparently muzzle threads cost extra.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIRBORNE!!!!!

This is why I chuckle when I read about people wanting to spend their hard earned money changing the front site, & threading the barrel to get the "original" look. Well here it is folks. Real Chinese military AK's w/o the threaded barrel. I chose to not spend the money threading the barrels on my 3 MAK 90's to get the real military look. While all of us can do what we want to achieve the end result we desire, I chose to save a bundle by having my MAK's look like the real military guns pictured above.  GARY.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I still regret selling my polytech bakelite sidefolder. That and the Spiker are the two sweetest Chicoms.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I am starting  to like my MAK90 more and more now.  Not sure why people say that AK's are inaccurate - my MAK90 is capable of punching holes on minute of man targets at 300 yards.  Well, yeah, they are not AR accurate, but AK's are more than capable of engaging targets at 300 yards nonetheless.

I don't understand why they don't order them with at least the slanted muzzle brake.  And no lights on their weapons?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is why I chuckle when I read about people wanting to spend their hard earned money changing the front site, & threading the barrel to get the "original" look. Well here it is folks. Real Chinese military AK's w/o the threaded barrel. I chose to not spend the money threading the barrels on my 3 MAK 90's to get the real military look. While all of us can do what we want to achieve the end result we desire, I chose to save a bundle by having my MAK's look like the real military guns pictured above.  GARY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIRBORNE!!!!!

Looks like you can save money on mag pouches too, as long as you've got a pocket.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone needs to teach him how to hold a rifle.  

Wrong shoulder?

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool rifles.  Malta sucks, nothing but a pile of rocks.  Yes, I've  been there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:I think what you're seeing is an optical illusion created by the camera lens. You can tell the photographer is using a zoom lens because the background is so blurry compared the man and rifle. This situation tends to "flatten" the image which makes the man look 2 dimensional. I think the rifle is on his right shoulder and his cheek is pressed on the buttstock even though it doesn't look like that.

View Quote

I hope so, if not their military is doomed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think what you're seeing is an optical illusion created by the camera lens. You can tell the photographer is using a zoom lens because the background is so blurry compared the man and rifle. This situation tends to "flatten" the image which makes the man look 2 dimensional. I think the rifle is on his right shoulder and his cheek is pressed on the buttstock even though it doesn't look like that.

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/8584/38521652649330737086516.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong shoulder?

I think what you're seeing is an optical illusion created by the camera lens. You can tell the photographer is using a zoom lens because the background is so blurry compared the man and rifle. This situation tends to "flatten" the image which makes the man look 2 dimensional. I think the rifle is on his right shoulder and his cheek is pressed on the buttstock even though it doesn't look like that.

It would certainly help his shooting form and his accuracy if he'd lift his head up so he could see through the rifle's sights.  You can clearly see in that picture that he's looking down. Maybe he's inspecting the folding stock's hinge pin.  As was written earlier: "Cool rifles!"
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, but them women pictured are hot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What woman, all I see is camo that doesn't come close to matching anything in the background!  

I was there for for close to a week for a global mgt meeting.  Nothing out of the ordinary regarding the local woman.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#16]
The Hairy Backed Women of Malta.  Yes, wonderful place.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIRBORNE!!!!!

They do. Seriously. Threading the muzzle is the single most expensive manufacturing step involved in making an AK, and resulted in a sizable percentage of scrapped barrels. That is why the cast threads on the front sight block were developed for the AK-74. Did you ever wonder about that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:43:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They do. Seriously. Threading the muzzle is the single most expensive manufacturing step involved in making an AK, and resulted in a sizable percentage of scrapped barrels.

The AK muzzle threads are established at the same time the barrel's external profile is turned by a lathe.  The added cost to the manufacturer is tiny, and amounts to the time needed to create the threads (seconds) and the added wear to the cutters on the lathe (minimal).  The elimination of the muzzle threads can be compared to "de-contenting", wherein certain desirable but non-essential features are eliminated as part of a cost-cutting scheme.  The most expensive and time-consuming aspects of AK manufacturing are related to forging and machining the rifle's main components (fire control parts, gas block, front & rear sight bases, etc.), and hammer forging and chrome lining its barrel.

That is why the cast threads on the front sight block were developed for the AK-74. Did you ever wonder about that?

The AK-74 threaded gas block and its relatively "large" threads are required to form the rear of the large expansion chamber of the AK-74 muzzle brake.  If the comparatively smaller barrel were threaded instead, the expansion chamber of the brake would be too small to work effectively, unless made overly-long.  The designers made this brake with a specific internal volume, which is achieved by its diameter and length.  Another reason for the brake's large diameter is to establish a large frontal area internally for the expanding gases to impinge upon (crash into).  This action pushes the rifle forward, reducing the perceived recoil to the shooter (this = an effective muzzle brake).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIRBORNE!!!!!

They do. Seriously. Threading the muzzle is the single most expensive manufacturing step involved in making an AK, and resulted in a sizable percentage of scrapped barrels.

The AK muzzle threads are established at the same time the barrel's external profile is turned by a lathe.  The added cost to the manufacturer is tiny, and amounts to the time needed to create the threads (seconds) and the added wear to the cutters on the lathe (minimal).  The elimination of the muzzle threads can be compared to "de-contenting", wherein certain desirable but non-essential features are eliminated as part of a cost-cutting scheme.  The most expensive and time-consuming aspects of AK manufacturing are related to forging and machining the rifle's main components (fire control parts, gas block, front & rear sight bases, etc.), and hammer forging and chrome lining its barrel.

That is why the cast threads on the front sight block were developed for the AK-74. Did you ever wonder about that?

The AK-74 threaded gas block and its relatively "large" threads are required to form the rear of the large expansion chamber of the AK-74 muzzle brake.  If the comparatively smaller barrel were threaded instead, the expansion chamber of the brake would be too small to work effectively, unless made overly-long.  The designers made this brake with a specific internal volume, which is achieved by its diameter and length.  Another reason for the brake's large diameter is to establish a large frontal area internally for the expanding gases to impinge upon (crash into).  This action pushes the rifle forward, reducing the perceived recoil to the shooter (this = an effective muzzle brake).

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Malta sucks??????????  It's a cruise ship destination off the coast of Italy....how bad could it suck??? didn't  any of the yachts meet your expectations ?

no hairy backed women sightings either ,at least  not when I went (you guys crack me up...lol)
hint: the hot looking women are all working in the high end clothing & jewelry stores...go look for a Rolex & you'll find them...
tons of tourists pour into Valletta every day... lot's of women coming and going if you don't like the locals

l]

]

[

l][

l][

l][

l][

l]

l]

l][

l][/URL]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I think what you're seeing is an optical illusion created by the camera lens. You can tell the photographer is using a zoom lens because the background is so blurry compared the man and rifle. This situation tends to "flatten" the image which makes the man look 2 dimensional. I think the rifle is on his right shoulder and his cheek is pressed on the buttstock even though it doesn't look like that.

they probably don't even need a military provided they don't accept any rag head nut job immigrants
besides, i'm sure Italy would come to their rescue if needed

really cool seeing the  bakelite sidefolders : I wasn't sure if they still even made them
always wanted one
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong shoulder?

It looks like his right eye is closed and is below the sights, trying to shoot with his dominant left eye.  Doesn't his head look tilted to the right to get his left eye in line with the sights?

Cross dominant or a lefty being forced to shoot from the right shoulder, my guess.

Any of you guys spot a sidefolder tool kit in their buttstocks?  I need one of those.  Might have to go to Malta to get me one  
PM me if you have one for sale... (sorry dryflash3)
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Why would Malta even use ChiCom AKs? I figured as a rich European nation they'd use Sig, FN, HK, Beretta, Steyr, or Colt Canada. But ChiCom AKs?!?!?! Really?
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why would Malta even use ChiCom AKs? I figured as a rich European nation they'd use Sig, FN, HK, Beretta, Steyr, or Colt Canada. But ChiCom AKs?!?!?! Really?
View Quote

Is kinda funny; Kenyan Army soldiers responding the the Mall Shooting there were carrying Colt M4s and FN SCAR Mk-17s...

You figure Malta would provide their soldiers with better weapons than Chicom Type 56 rifles.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is kinda funny; Kenyan Army soldiers responding the the Mall Shooting there were carrying Colt M4s and FN SCAR Mk-17s...

http://media.themalaymailonline.com/images/sized/ez/nairobi_mall_shooting_army_soldiers_09222013_600_388_100.JPG

You figure Malta would provide their soldiers with better weapons than Chicom Type 56 rifles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media.themalaymailonline.com/images/sized/ez/nairobi_mall_shooting_army_soldiers_09222013_600_388_100.JPG

ORLY?!?

Maybe it's just me, but I personally would take a Chinese Type 56 AK over a Colt M4 or FN SCAR Mk-17s any day, every day if it were my ass on the line.  Lights, lasers and other miscellaneous hoo-ha gadgetry aside, the Type 56 is an excellent combat rifle whose reputation precedes it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ORLY?!?

Maybe it's just me, but I personally would take a Chinese Type 56 AK over a Colt M4 or FN SCAR Mk-17s any day, every day if it were my ass on the line.  Lights, lasers and other miscellaneous hoo-ha gadgetry aside, the Type 56 is an excellent combat rifle whose reputation precedes it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ORLY?!?

Yep most likely its just you
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
ORLY?!?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ORLY?!?

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL, you got me.

Only the couch-commandos of arfcom would try to piss on the most prolific, most durable, most reliable rifle the world has ever seen, with its equally excellent magazine and cover-busting, yet full-auto controllable 7.62x39mm round.  For an assault rifle, the AK is simply THE BEST.  Some of you prefer a finicky, jamming, parts-breaking M4, with its velocity-dependent effective range of 150 meters or less.  Or an extruded aluminum and plastic FN, with its extra-high stock comb so your head is WAY up there to see through the sights, and its fragile FN-FAL derived magazine, uncontrollably shooting 7.62 NATO full auto.

The 80 million or so AKs in daily use around the world have nothing to prove to you dudes.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

LOL, you got me.

Only the couch-commandos of arfcom would try to piss on the most prolific, most durable, most reliable rifle the world has ever seen, with its equally excellent magazine and cover-busting, yet full-auto controllable 7.62x39mm round.  For an assault rifle, the AK is simply THE BEST.  Some of you prefer a finicky, jamming, parts-breaking M4, with its velocity-dependent effective range of 150 meters or less.  Or an extruded aluminum and plastic FN, with its extra-high stock comb so your head is WAY up there to see through the sights, and its fragile FN-FAL derived magazine, uncontrollably shooting 7.62 NATO full auto.

The 80 million or so AKs in daily use around the world have nothing to prove to you dudes.
View Quote

Ummmm.... I own two AKs, two SKS Carbines, and a Rasheed. I want to build a 7.62x39mm AR. I have nothing against the AK. I'm just surprised that they went with a ChiCom MAK-90. There are far more modernized AKs out there. Why would Malta buy AKs from Communist China. They coud have gone with Finnish Valmets or Israeli Guns in 7.62x51mm or 5.56x45mm.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
[Ummmm.... I own two AKs, two SKS Carbines, and a Rasheed. I want to build a 7.62x39mm AR. I have nothing against the AK. I'm just surprised that they went with a ChiCom MAK-90. There are far more modernized AKs out there. Why would Malta buy AKs from Communist China. They coud have gone with Finnish Valmets or Israeli Guns in 7.62x51mm or 5.56x45mm.[/span]
View Quote

You made some great points.  I too would prefer that everyone, including Malta, would find alternatives to dealing with Communist China.  The main thing I take issue with regarding the AK is the fact that obtaining one brand new often means giving money to our enemies.  That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over.

I suspect the reason Malta went with a ChiCom AK is probably one that every WalMart shopper can relate to: Economics.  However, unlike the crap Wally World peddles, the Chinese AK is actually an excellent quality product.  Those Red Devils really know how to make an excellent AK, in extremely large quantities and for low cost.  

You mentioned Finnish and Israeli produced AK variants as alternatives to the Chinese ones.  The Finnish Valmet and Israeli Galil are excellent rifles, but both have been superseded by their home countries.  Israel is U.S. supplied militarily, so they use M16 types, mostly carbines.  Finland is now issuing...the Chinese Type 56 AK in 7.62x39mm.  I suppose Malta could have bought their AKs from Arsenal of Bulgaria, but those would cost more money and not do anything better than the Chinese Type 56.

The universal presence of the Chinese AK globally, usually in the hands of our enemies, tend to make people view them in an unfavorable way.  I get that, but politics aside, the rifles themselves are excellent.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#30]
The Finnish purchase of Type 56s were for their reserve forces to free rk95s for active duty units since they shut down their arms factory. They also bought a.tonbof ex-DDR 47s for the same reason.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Why on earth would Malta, the most powerful military force on the planet by Chicom AKs? -- Nobody messes with Malta -- not even Putin.

I thought Malta was some nasty tasting kids drink like Ovaltine or something.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
LOL, you got me.

View Quote

LoL herpty derp
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:49:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LoL herpty derp
View Quote

Well, now we know how Peter Griffin feels about this matter...

ETA:  I just noticed it took our boy Hoochie Coochie over a half hour of editing to come up with his witty insight.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Veering off topic
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top