Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/30/2012 7:01:50 AM EDT
I have a MAK90 with a 14mm LH threaded barrel that I want to attach an 24mm RH AK74 brake to.  I have a thread adapter from Krebs but my FSB does not have a detent so what is the best for me to attach the adapter and brake?
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Crush washer
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
On most Mak's the detent pin was cut flush with the FSB. If you remove the forward most retaining pin you should be able to tap the cut off pin out of the FSB.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
On most Mak's the detent pin was cut flush with the FSB. If you remove the forward most retaining pin you should be able to tap the cut off pin out of the FSB.

I'll have to check to see if that is the case when I get home but I think I would have noticed it.  Would it be possible to drill holes in the FSB and adapter for a detent?

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to check to see if that is the case when I get home but I think I would have noticed it.  Would it be possible to drill holes in the FSB and adapter for a detent?

Many of them you can't see at all. It's possible to drill a new one, but it's not something I would attempt with a drill press.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay thanks.  I'd been trying to just torque the adapter and brake on but tightening the brake always loosened the adapter so that wasn't working lol
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Could you tack weld the brake to the fsb? I have a mak 90 with a brake that is held by a set screw, I was thinking about a small tack weld to hold it in place. My barrel is non threaded.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Could you tack weld the brake to the fsb? I have a mak 90 with a brake that is held by a set screw, I was thinking about a small tack weld to hold it in place. My barrel is non threaded.

Probably, I've thought of using silver solder.  For now  loctite is working though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Loctite, even the red stuff, will eventually lose its grip after it gets very hot. I know red is specifically high-temp resistant, but I've tried it before and it always fails in time. Think about how hot a barrel, especially the muzzle, of an AK gets from shooting on a hot day. It's more than hot enough to cause the red Loc-Tite to pack it in. I used a crush washer on an old MAK-90 and nothing ever loosened up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I know it's a temporary fix, I'm surprised it has held through 150 rounds actually.  Once it comes loose I will use a crush washer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#10]
150 rounds is about what it lasted on mine, so you did good.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top