Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/28/2012 1:52:07 PM EDT
Back in 1987 I bought a Polytech AKS-762 side folder that looked just like the one below (pic is not mine. I got it from the reference site above).  I shot the hell out of it while I had it and traded it off in early 1989 for I don’t know what.  I did that a lot at the time because I was in the military and couldn’t afford feeding more than 1 gun at a time.

Well anyway, the other day I found my original owners manual.  And now that I’m 45, I was thinking I’d like to find myself another one.  I’m curious as to what a fair price would be for one in very good to excellent condition.  

If worse comes to worse and I can't find one or afford to replace it, I pass the manual off to someone here who owns one.  And if you do own one, keep it.  It might take 23+ years to regret it, but you will regret it if you part with it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
These go for anywhere around $1200-1800 depending on condition,etc.Here is one that went unsold last week for $1449 which is about average price.I have seen a few last year that sold for less but they go fast.
Maybe contact the seller in the below auction and see if he will relist it.Usually one or two pop up on the auction sites per month,check often and be ready to buy before someone else beats you to it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270507612
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Just be aware there are at least 3 B-West side folders on various sites now for sale. These are the U.S. made receivers, and most are known to have serious heat treat problems. If the receiver is marked "made in China" you are okay, the others, you may have to replace the receiver soon.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
These go for anywhere around $1200-1800 depending on condition,etc.Here is one that went unsold last week for $1449 which is about average price.I have seen a few last year that sold for less but they go fast.
Maybe contact the seller in the below auction and see if he will relist it.Usually one or two pop up on the auction sites per month,check often and be ready to buy before someone else beats you to it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270507612

That's pricey.  I only gave a few hundred for it back in the day.  The one being autioned is pretty close but that flash hider/comp isn't right.  

So, did anyone buy my rifle in the Niceville, FL area around '88 of '89?

Link Posted: 1/29/2012 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah its supposed to have a muzzle nut on it,10 second switch.There is a nice used one in the classifieds here.You have a .0001% chance of finding one less than $1000.If you want one be ready to spend some c notes on one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=272297270

good luck finding one...they are pretty rare and I haven't seen any of them go for under $1500.00 for the last couple of years

polytech red side folders are highly sought after...
I observe way  less of them  than the legends and most of the other pre-ban polytech variants coming up on gunbroker.com   etc..

i've been wanting one for quite some time

beautiful rifle....too bad you sold her (not to make you feel bad)
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've still got my Polytech Legend I bought in the late 80s. I don't think I'll part with it anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've still got my Polytech Legend I bought in the late 80s. I don't think I'll part with it anytime soon.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/danc46/ChicomAK002-1.jpg

sweet... I got my legend about 5 years ago and I bet I paid way more than you (mine was a little under $1400.00 mint & un-fired but no box)

after I had won the bid I thought I had lost my mind paying that much for an AK ...now I don't feel so bad although the price has only slightly gone up from when I bought mine
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I just pick up a "386 factory" Polytech Red Sidefolder with the CS prefix, at a local auction. Had to pay an arm and a leg, but in my opinion its the holy grail of AK's and it is a beautiful firearm. Even has the removable cleaning kit in the buttstock.

If someone is looking for one, I wouldn't be opposed to offers on it, or trades on other AK's + cash.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just pick up a "386 factory" Polytech Red Sidefolder with the CS prefix, at a local auction. Had to pay an arm and a leg, but in my opinion its the holy grail of AK's and it is a beautiful firearm. Even has the removable cleaning kit in the buttstock.

If someone is looking for one, I wouldn't be opposed to offers on it, or trades on other AK's + cash.

You know the rules. Pics or it didn't happen.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#11]
 I'm starting to lose hope.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Something like this?

PolyTec AK, red plastic, side folder.

AR style flash hider on the front.

Night sight front/rear

Recoil pad, more for shoulder sticking and length of pull than recoil.

Extended width slip on mag release.

Picked it up at a gun show in Jacksonville, FLA, about 88 or so, for I think 300 bucks..  GHB had not yet banned further import.  Quote "The Congress will push me to raise taxes and I'll say, read my lips, how high do want them Boss"?

Trust me, it's nice.  And no, it's not for sale.

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I just pick up one for $1600 in NY. Ive had a fixed stock spiker, sold that and bought a legend underfolder, sold that and got the bakelite sidefolder. I dont think i can ever sell this one. Its a way more comfy shooter than the legend and it still has the compactness of a folder. Love it!
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Just sold my 1985 polytech double folder for $1800.Didnt plan on selling it but i couldnt pass up the cash offer i got.
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Ive given up for now.  Sent my original manual off in the mail today to a member that was missing his.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to miss my Poly Tech sidefolder. After owning two of them and selling them for a small profit, I decided to do the next best thing. I bought a nice Polish Beryl side folding stock and put it on a WASR 10/63 that is very accurate and tight. Wow, what a great gun at a third the price. I officially no longer miss my Poly SF.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top