Page:  / 2
Next Page  
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/29/2012 10:15:51 PM
Originally Posted By madmike66:
Even if it was NIB, I'd say shoot the thing.

AK-47 values, regardless of the make, model or country of origin, are artificially inflated in this country. Why? Because our Govt strictly regulates their import, or in many cases, bans their import.

Our wonderful NIB Chinese AKs are worth a carton of milk just about anywhere else in the world.

Yes, today they are worth a lot here because we can't get them but guess what...you could stick that in a safe hoping it will be worth thousands someday, and tomorrow with a stroke of a pen it could be worth the $200 or less that it sold for before it was banned.

So I say shoot them. Enjoy them as intended. Because these rifles will never be worth much. If the ban is ever dropped, the value disappears entirely. If the ban is never dropped, or tightened to stop Romy AKs and such, American manufacturers will start to build them 100% here. The price of those will be high but the quality will likely be good, and again, your pre-ban Chinese will only be valuable to a small subset of hardcore collectors who want an inferior product that is "legit".

Shoot em. Have fun. If it were truly a "rare" rifle, or historically significant, then by all means sock it away. These are neither.

My 2 cents.

They will always be worth more than a domestic made AK. The only way they will lose value is if the ban goes away and I wouldn't count on that.

It doesn't matter if only collectors would buy it, there is enough out there where someone will always buy it.
wyomingnick
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/29/2012 10:18:09 PM
Originally Posted By Farmer-Ted:

I agree that you should shoot any rifle. Two issues though -
One: The ban will never be dropped. Don't even dream about that. It will only be made tighter, so prices will increase for an "inferior" Chinese preban AK.
Two: A 100% American made AK will be very, very expensive, again driving up the prices of an "inferior" Chinese preban AK.
Either way the value of the "inferior" preban Chinese AK will only increase.

I'm gonna disagree.

1) Never say never. Favorable administration, you never know. This ban is one trade agreement (i.e. we'll stop being oppressive bastards or stop putting lead in all your kiddie toys if you wipe away the imprort restrictions on our guns) from vanishing.
2) A 100% American made AK can only be so expensive. Even a 100% American made AK will still be cheaper than an AR. The receiver is stamped and there is no mil-spec to worry about...cheaper, period. Hell, most AKs you buy today are US receivers. What's left to build...barrels and trunnions? No problem. So if you can get a AR for, or under $1,000 today at some point (probably soon) a company is going to offer the 100% made in America AK for less than $1,000. So how much can your Chinese AK go up in value, if they are already going for $800 in a lot of spots? The answer is, they won't. There aren't enough collectors who are so anal about authenticity to drive up the price of a Chinese AK.

The price of these guns, maybe goes up a little over time, but you have to ask yourself if a couple hundred extra is worth not firing it and enjoying it. I say no, especially when you factor in inflation etc. All you've done at the end of the day is deny yourself the pleasure of firing your weapon.

$ 800 ?? You are out of touch with the prices of pre ban AK's. They are already well above that. With the national market you gain with the internet they will never be hard to sell either.

You might get a beat up Norinco for 800, even that is a decent deal. Nice Polytech Spikers have been going for 1400-1500 on gunbroker lately. Legends much more.
insider
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/2/2012 9:36:23 AM
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

One: The ban will never be dropped. Don't even dream about that. It will only be made tighter, so prices will increase for an "inferior" Chinese preban AK.
Two: A 100% American made AK will be very, very expensive, again driving up the prices of an "inferior" Chinese preban AK.

I'm gonna disagree.

1) Never say never. Favorable administration, you never know. This ban is one trade agreement (i.e. we'll stop being oppressive bastards or stop putting lead in all your kiddie toys if you wipe away the imprort restrictions on our guns) from vanishing.
2) A 100% American made AK can only be so expensive. Even a 100% American made AK will still be cheaper than an AR. The receiver is stamped and there is no mil-spec to worry about...cheaper, period. Hell, most AKs you buy today are US receivers. What's left to build...barrels and trunnions? No problem. So if you can get a AR for, or under $1,000 today at some point (probably soon) a company is going to offer the 100% made in America AK for less than $1,000. So how much can your Chinese AK go up in value, if they are already going for $800 in a lot of spots? The answer is, they won't. There aren't enough collectors who are so anal about authenticity to drive up the price of a Chinese AK.

The price of these guns, maybe goes up a little over time, but you have to ask yourself if a couple hundred extra is worth not firing it and enjoying it. I say no, especially when you factor in inflation etc. All you've done at the end of the day is deny yourself the pleasure of firing your weapon.

$ 800 ?? You are out of touch with the prices of pre ban AK's. They are already well above that. With the national market you gain with the internet they will never be hard to sell either.

You might get a beat up Norinco for 800, even that is a decent deal. Nice Polytech Spikers have been going for 1400-1500 on gunbroker lately. Legends much more.

I wouldn't use GB as a price point, lots of over-priced guns on there that linger for months and months never getting sold, just re-listed at higher prices.
wyomingnick
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2012 1:30:18 AM
Originally Posted By insider:

I'm gonna disagree.

I wouldn't use GB as a price point, lots of over-priced guns on there that linger for months and months never getting sold, just re-listed at higher prices.

I am talking about ones that sold not overpriced ones.

I only base it on completed listings.

The out of touch with reality sky high ones are much higher than I discussed earlier.

The people that think a nice Chinese pre ban is an 800 gun have not kept up with the times.
insider
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2012 4:53:28 AM

I'm gonna disagree.

A Sile just sold on GB for $1925, new in the box.
comma
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2012 5:55:46 PM
Shoot it.
I have several polytechs and shoot them all.
Guns were made to shoot. If their value is high that should be because they are a good shooter.
And like someone else said, they will go up, so even after shooting it you will easily keep your investment and probably 99% make money on it as an investment.

FlyLeaf
Brass Slinger
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2012 6:22:43 PM
Sold my Polytech factory 416 double folder to a guy at work for $1800 cash.Nice examples bring in the top money.
I was offered $900 for my Polytech MAK 90 386 factory stamped rifle the other day.Im keeping that one.
wyomingnick
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/23/2012 1:13:49 AM

I'm gonna disagree.

A Sile just sold on GB for $1925, new in the box.

I seen that. There was a pair of 56S's that went for about 2500 and 3000 too. I don't think that is quite the norm yet, but hey that guy got it.

insider
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/23/2012 8:29:43 AM
I can't believe the prices that pre-bans are getting on GoBroker! Even MAK-90's are commanding almost $1000, WTH is going on?
turkeydad
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/23/2012 12:11:19 PM
[Last Edit: 4/23/2012 12:24:34 PM by turkeydad]
Put it in the safe. . when you go shooting get it out and shoot the heck out of it. . clean it and put back in safe. . .repeat as necessary. I anguished over the same thing when I traded into my Polytech plant 386 Galil sidefolder. .man these guns are made to shoot. . feed it. . its hungry. . its begging to bite into primer caps and create happiness. . feed it now. . .I thought about selling mine and even sent an email or two on WTB threads. . but I'm keepin it. . .those other AK's work. . . dont get me wrong. .but the accuracy from the heavier barrels and thicker receivers is far superior to the garden variety euro Ak's. .you can tell how much better the quality is just by feeling how much smoother the slide racks. . pre-ban chicom's have all the beauty of the prom queen. . and are more dependable than the good ole girl next door. After spending time with my Chicom going back to Euro Ak's thrown together on US receivers or even back to another converted Maadi ARM (which was a damn good gun) like I had before would be like making out with an ugly woman. . it might work. . but it aint the same and you sure as hell dont want to let your friends see you do it. ..
Page:  / 2
Next Page  
AK-47 » Chinese