Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/8/2010 3:48:44 PM EDT
Did a search.....

I just picked up a stamped Norinco NHM-91, straight cut & stamped "94" before the S/N. I want to deban it and do a couple upgrades in the process. I am going to install IWD furniture, Tabuk style stock, Yugo style grip, undecided on the hand guards. As happy as I am with the laminate set on my last project, this set will be walnut. I think. Sanding the laminate was a pita and I still ended up with some minor pitting from sanding across the grain of a layer..

Questions:

1. I assume this takes any AK FCG, specifically the Red Star Arms milled kit, but would like validation before placing an order.

2. The muzzle is threaded and it has a nut, but the plunger in the front sight block appears to be a pin, not a plunger. Advice on how to correct would be appreciated. I plan to install a US made flash hider.

3. The gas tube is a little loose. Can this be easily fixed?

4. I would like to have a side scope mount like the newer Saiga's come with to use a Soviet era scope. How does the cost of having this done compared to other options to install a scope?
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The only difference between the NHM-91 and a MAK-90 is the barrel.  The NHM-91 has a match grade barrel that is longer.  Every thing else is the same.  Any USA made fire control group for an AK will work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#3]
They are longer and I believe of a heavier contour.  "Match Grade" probably not, technically.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Out of six different 91s that I had experience with, exactly 2 of them had what I would consider a good barrel.

Generally they had severe POI migration, droop, and just plain lousy accuracy. Droop was so bad it made use of the included bipod impossble.
They are not all like that, as one that I stil have and another a buddy had purchased display excellent characteristcs.

The Norinco barrels in general are very good, not sure what happened with at least one batch of 91s, although one USMC armorer said they might have had improper heat treatment somewhere along the line.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I was told that they were match grade barrels by a gunshop owner that was quite knowledgeable on guns. He was also a competitive shooter.   I have no reason to doubt him.  I did not buy my NHM-91 from him as it was already purchased years before talking to him.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was told that they were match grade barrels by a gunshop owner that was quite knowledgeable on guns. He was also a competitive shooter.   I have no reason to doubt him.  I did not buy my NHM-91 from him as it was already purchased years before talking to him.

The gunshop owner is full of it. I have an NHM91, and I love it, but it is not any more accurate than any other AK I own.

The use of the word "match" is the same as "tactical" for this gun.

Quoted:
1. I assume this takes any AK FCG, specifically the Red Star Arms milled kit, but would like validation before placing an order. RSA FCG should fit fine.

2. The muzzle is threaded and it has a nut, but the plunger in the front sight block appears to be a pin, not a plunger. Advice on how to correct would be appreciated. I plan to install a US made flash hider. Take out the front pin and replace the OEM plunger with a normal plunger pin and spring. I think I used a Romanian one and it works great.

3. The gas tube is a little loose. Can this be easily fixed? Mine is too and I have not had any issues from it.

4. I would like to have a side scope mount like the newer Saiga's come with to use a Soviet era scope. How does the cost of having this done compared to other options to install a scope?
Getting the mounting bracket installed by a gunsmith is going to be your best looking option IMO. You can get This or This but I think they look a little funny.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Correct me if I am wrong, but if it doesn't say National Match somewhere on the receiver, it is just considered a long-barreled AK47. However, the barrel is bigger in diameter than a run-of-the-mill MAK90/NHM90.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did a search.....

I just picked up a stamped Norinco NHM-91, straight cut & stamped "94" before the S/N. I want to deban it and do a couple upgrades in the process. I am going to install IWD furniture, Tabuk style stock, Yugo style grip, undecided on the hand guards. As happy as I am with the laminate set on my last project, this set will be walnut. I think. Sanding the laminate was a pita and I still ended up with some minor pitting from sanding across the grain of a layer..

Questions:

1. I assume this takes any AK FCG, specifically the Red Star Arms milled kit, but would like validation before placing an order.

2. The muzzle is threaded and it has a nut, but the plunger in the front sight block appears to be a pin, not a plunger. Advice on how to correct would be appreciated. I plan to install a US made flash hider.

3. The gas tube is a little loose. Can this be easily fixed?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=78&t=130118
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top