Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/10/2009 4:24:18 PM EDT
Picked it up last weekend from Piece of History Firearms.  Beautiful rifle and just has the best of all worlds - milled receiver, spike bayonet, smooth Chinese trigger, and awesome balance.  Donor rifle was a pre-ban Polytech Legend.  I highly recommend anyone that's been contemplating doing such a project to go for it.  Makes a rare clone and a well-balanced rifle:

Link Posted: 5/10/2009 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
What did PoH do to it besides installing the spiker FSB?

Looks fantastic!  Hows the bluing?
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Mario removed the original front sight base and added the spike front sight base, welded up original selector notch/markings and added new selector notches/markings, changed-out the two rivets on the trigger guard and added the four rivets by doing some welding work on the trigger guard and receiver, and did the re-finish.  There's likely other smaller but PITA issues he worked on that I'm leaving out.  Finish is very good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 3:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]
What type of finish was used?  Is it blued?
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Did he weld up the barrel pin area to give it the smooth threaded barrel look?
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
What does the second notch do? safe or fire?
Looks cool
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh the jealousy!

That's the last AK I want for my collection and then I'd be satisfied. Well satisfied for at least a few months.
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Super Neat Rifle !  Does Piece of History Firearms have a website ?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Indeed:

http://www.pieceofhistoryfirearms.com/

I just received my Type 56 Stamped Spiker from PoHF, a great rifle.

Mario is the best!

Link Posted: 11/20/2009 3:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not use a milled MAK 90?
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 3:54:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I did a milled Mak 90 just like that except the furniture was Ironwood Designs. I hope that Legend you used was a beater, I have two and they are so beautiful I can't imagine refinishing them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a bit of a traditionalist and thought the Legend would be better served modified.  The Legend is not exactly a "correct" variant of any Chinese rifle and was put together more for the American buying market.  It's kind of a mix of a Russsian Type III and a Chinese milled Type 56.  I thought since the Legend didn't even have the right trigger guard rivet style as the early Chinese milled rifles anyway, it was a good choice for a makeover.  And, I didn't want to play the US parts game and wanted to keep it all Chinese.  I've since put an early Chinese military upper hanguard with the vent cut-outs on the rifle and replaced the sling with an ultra early, rare one.  It just enjoy that early look on it.  

But to answer your question, the Legend used was not pristine and is also a duplicate.
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I think that may be the nicest Chicom AK I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the kind words but there's several other members that have a better looking milled spiker than my converted Legend.  Here's a new photo with the early sling and early Chinese vented upper handguard.  I wanted to do a truly early rifle and thought the updated items on it added an early flavor:

For those that have interested in such things, here's a copy of a previous post I did on another forum regarding the Chinese Type 56 early vented upper handguards:

I recently found some early Type 56 military vented upper handguards and thought I'd share some closer comparative photos so folks can either identify them better or duplicate them if they're so inclined.  They're quite unique and hard to find anymore:

Non-vented on top/Vented on bottom for comparison:

Link Posted: 11/21/2009 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Very very nice!  It looks like you hit on all the details, but there is one you can't see, so I have to ask:  Did you have the correct AK-47 "threaded block with 3 rivets" pistol grip boss riveted onto the receiver, or does the rifle still use the AKM style threaded block that drops into the square hole in the receiver?
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]
It still retains the original set-up as put on the Legends by Polytech.  I wasn't worried about something that wouldn't be seen unless the pistol grip was off.  Just extra money spent that could go toward something else.  Didn't plan on using it without the pistol grip so it didn't matter too much to me.  

I've got a few of those early Type 56 vented uppers.  Interestingly, I found them in a little gunshop with MAK-90 furniture.  When the holidays have passed on things settle down, I'll put some early Chinese Type 56 items on the sale block.  The vented uppers are truly a nice touch for anyone's early clone project.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks great but I couldn't put my Legend under the knife!
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Turned out great Rayman!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks great, and I'd love to have a milled Spiker.....but for some reason I sorta like the 7.62 Chicom Spiker with an original stamped receiver. And I could never bring myself to use a Legend as a Donor.

Somebody on another forum actually created an orange bakelite Spiker.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I would've definately not done it on a brand new Legend but that one was an extra Legend I had and had been given a poor refinish sometime during its life.  I thought it was a good candidate for giving it new life as something else.

I also like the stamped receiver spike bayonet Type 56 rifles.  There was a member on the other board quite a long time ago that had one with a bit of a worn finish.  He decided to give it an overall BFPU finish which made that rifle just scream with character.  His was the first and, so far, the last one I've seen with a BFPU finish.  It was a very unique looking rifle after that.  I think they're just awesome with a worn finish.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#21]
POHF Russian Type III

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Gorgeous Marco
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Absolutely Gorgeous!
If i ever get the means to get a piece like that together or anything like it, I'll definitely check out POHF.
Love the attention to detail, from the new selector notches to the correction of the pistol grip rivets.
Bravo!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Absolutely Gorgeous!
If i ever get the means to get a piece like that together or anything like it, I'll definitely check out POHF.
Love the attention to detail, from the new selector notches to the correction of the pistol grip trigger guard rivets.
Bravo!!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would've definately not done it on a brand new Legend but that one was an extra Legend I had and had been given a poor refinish sometime during its life.  I thought it was a good candidate for giving it new life as something else.

I also like the stamped receiver spike bayonet Type 56 rifles.  There was a member on the other board quite a long time ago that had one with a bit of a worn finish.  He decided to give it an overall BFPU finish which made that rifle just scream with character.  His was the first and, so far, the last one I've seen with a BFPU finish.  It was a very unique looking rifle after that.  I think they're just awesome with a worn finish.

here you go...

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely Gorgeous!
Love the attention to detail, from the new selector notches to the correction of the pistol grip trigger guard rivets.
Bravo!!!

*thanks
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

here you go...

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv145/singtar/Firearms/AK47polytechlegend.jpg

Nice!  Well, that makes two I've seen then - there was another that was a bit different.  A bit more work on the wear in some places and some worn wood, you'll be there on that one.  Good work!
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Rayman, you described your Type 56 copy as "a well-balanced rifle."

This judgment is correct.

To my mind the original ChiCom automatic rifle was the finest, most useful 7.62mm Kalashnikov ever made. Anywhere ... anytime.

Congratulations !!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I have to agree with you.  It's weird - I've shouldered and fired many countries' rifle, milled and stamped, and as far as commercially available/sold semi-auto Kalashnikovs are concerned, I've found the Polytech Legend to be a nice rifle.  It's one of those that just "feels right" when shouldered.  They've got the sleek blued finish, great fit-to-finish with the wood and metal, and just look nice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome Type 56 clone Rayman1!
MUST RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO TURN MY LEGEND INTO A TYPE 56 CLONE
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#31]
No peer pressure, but...

DO IT!

There will always be Polytech Legends out there should you want an original.  It's just nice to have something  a bit different.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I hope you don't mind me putting this here Rayman1 since it's relavent to your PRC clone.

Type 56 PDF

ETA-If you still have one of those slotted upper handguards, shoot me an IM Rayman1. I think I'm caving. Resistance is futile.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Rayman, beautiful rifle !!  Where did you find your Chinese sling?
Thanks
Stephen
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#34]
According to the fellow I got it from, it was brought back from Vietnam if you mean the one in the last photo of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What type of finish was used?  Is it blued?

That's what I was looking at. It looks almost like it was parked and painted gray. I believe the original is blued.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Some people are a bit confused about blued finishes.  There are many types - matte blue, polished blue, etc.  The Chinese Type 56 rifles also ranged in their blued finishes.  The commercially manufactured Chinese rifles such as the Norinco and Polytech rifles are a bit misleading regarding finishes.  This probably because they're the only examples most people in this hobby have to use as a reference that they've actually seen.  The older Chinese Type 56 rifles had matte and polished finishes.  Most of the milled receiver Chinese Type 56 rifles I've encountered had more of the matte-type blued finish.  No telling why.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top