Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2017 11:57:56 AM EDT
I've been trying to find someone that could (for a fee, of course) shorten and modify a standard gas tube (with retainers) to fit my AMD-65.  I have a AMD-65 - I need to acquire a standard AK gas tube with the handguard retainer hardware (preferably Romanian, but not critical), and have it shortened and modified to fit my AMD-65 - I want to put some Romanian wooden handguards on the AMD-65 - the lower handguard fits fine, but I need the modified gas tube for the upper handguard to fit - any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to do this. Obviously you have your original AMD65 tube to use as a guide. BTW a Bulgarian tube works fine on the FEG too. Anyway, hacksaw the new gas tube but leave it about 1 or 2 mm longer than the old tube; get it cut square and keep it square later when fitting. Now you'll need to flatten out the flutes around the end. The good military gas tubes are hardened so you might have to use heat to keep from cracking it and temper it when you're finished (red hot, oil quench). You might find one of your sockets in your tool drawer will be just right for very slightly expanding and rounding the end. Keep checking the old one for dimensions and appearance. Finally file it down to the same length, temper it and check fit. Paint as required. A gas tube should fit fairly tight and there may be some fitting on the latch end - tapping it into position with a rubber hammer helps . Be careful with this fitting and make sure the gas tube has fully snapped into place before filing on the slanted face so you can press down the latch lever. So, there are three fitting areas; the gas block end, the lower lug and the latching cam surface (on the tube head, never touch the cam on the latch). Normally a well-fitted gas tube will stay in place after you raise the latch lever and have to be gently pried up with a piece of wood. It will 'snap' in and out of place.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, what he said.  I did one last year for my STG-2000C that came with no upper handguard retainer.  I just got a surplus AK74 gas tube, cut it slightly longer than the original one on my rifle, beat the flutes out using a couple of sockets that fit it inside tightly (slightly loose socket at first and then tighter socket once the flutes started flattening out).  Finally, I flared the end open some using a screwdriver bit socket I had that is cone-shaped on the end.  I didn't heat the gas tube, and it did start to crack a little on one side right at the very end when I flared it.  But that all got filed off anyway when I finally fit it to the rifle.  

It works great.  Just be careful and don't overdo it.  There's no good way to add metal back on if you remove too much.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I've made 4 or 5 of them now.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top