Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/7/2015 10:10:42 PM EDT
Gents,
After a long time lurking and researching AK-47s I decided to pull the trigger on a de-milled Hungarian AMMS AK-63D kit from Arms of America.  I don't have the tools nor expertise to re-build an AK myself so after looking around for a while I found an AKFiles member, Brandon at Cold Creek Customs (airman1202), who had a good reputation and affordable prices that I chose to send the kit to for assembly.  Brandon was able to really make this old AK look and fire like new again!  He sandblasted all the parts, re-coated with moly resin, notched and stenciled the receiver, stripped, steamed, and re-finished the wood furnishings and re-assembled with proper head-spacing and receiver spec.

After receiving the rifle I took her to the range for a couple hundred rounds of shakedown testing, cleaned her up and snapped some shots for you guys.  Overall I am very pleased with Brandon's work and the over all quality of the rifle in both aesthetic appearance and functionality.  She shot 200rds of Brown Bear and Red Army through several different types of mags without a single malfunction.  I was receiving compliments on her left and right from patrons and range marshals alike.  

Here are some before and after pics, cheers!

-Curt

BEFORE

AFTER

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice
Really nice
I guess the wood is a bit shiny for my taste, but I am also guessing that the white background and lighting makes it look shinier than it is in person.
Still, that gun is sexy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn fine looking rifle there Curt. Do you mind letting us know what Airman's work cost. Just a ballpark figure? I would say that is nicer than it was the day it left the factory, but I've never seen an AK that was factory fresh other than a NIB MAK 90. And that one is much nicer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice
Really nice
I guess the wood is a bit shiny for my taste, but I am also guessing that the white background and lighting makes it look shinier than it is in person.
Still, that gun is sexy.
View Quote

Thanks!  Yeah the lights are making it a little shiny, its still glossy in person but I requested it be finished that way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Damn fine looking rifle there Curt. Do you mind letting us know what Airman's work cost. Just a ballpark figure? I would say that is nicer than it was the day it left the factory, but I've never seen an AK that was factory fresh other than a NIB MAK 90. And that one is much nicer.
View Quote

Thanks man I agree, Ive never seen a new AK before but I imagine this is pretty close Cold Creek charged just under $300 for all the work on my rifle including shipping to my local FFL!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
$300 to build and refinish rifle and wood?! Sounds like a good deal!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
So you took correct military FEG wood with the teak stain and bubba'd it up? Congratulations.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So you took correct military FEG wood with the teak stain and bubba'd it up? Congratulations.
View Quote

To each their own, it isn't like hungarian wood is super rare or expensive.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks great, OP. Ironwood Designs makes nice repro wood for that, if you want the more traditional look.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Rifle looks to good to take out and shoot. Now you need a BFPU to take to the range and actually use.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Beautiful !!!

I need to get an UF to go with my SA85M
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It looks nice.  It's not like it was imported in its factory original configuration (receiver/922r).

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]
That's one very nice ak and the wood  looks more like most ak  guns I have seen most factory guns have a some what shinny finish that is  to keep the wood from absorbing water,  I guess some people here don't know that and the real Hungarian wood finish is butt yellow ugly. . I have had lots of so called experts tell me my wood is to shinny, and I say look at the REAL factory guns, except Yugo guns they are really not even finished wood just very light oil stained,  WOOD needs to be finished.  You done good......
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top