Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/21/2015 6:00:02 PM EDT
I understand that in order to put a standard ak lower Handguard on the amd, you need to modify the Handguard due to the two bumps or rivets in the amd's handguard retainer. I really like these polymer Bulgarian handguards with the palmswell and I noticed that the metal piece that inserts into an ak's retainer has three areas that extend further out than the rest of the metal piece. Would this fit without modification in an amd 65 (would the rivets in the retaiber be in the way of the extruding metal parts on the habdguard or would they fit in between the extrusions of the handguard)? Sorry if I didn't explain my question well. Thanks for any help.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It will have to be cut.  Easy Dremel job.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I put standard handguards on my AMD's and I always modify the handguard to fit the gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The pointed pins on the retainer appeared on FEGs when they developed the AKM63 with vented steel forearm. The sheet steel fits between the pin and the body of the retainer and the pins hold the steel in place so a blow from the side won't push it in. When FEG started making AKs for import to the USA, they used wood hand guards, so they had to relieve each lower guard for those two pins. You'll have to do the same withe Bulgarian piece. I'm not familiar with it so I don't know about the metal parts but I'm sure it won't be a big deal to fix it so it will install on your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, from that picture it looks like the sheet metal structure will fit right into the FEG retainer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Those pins can be driven out. The curvature of at the top of the retainer will still need to be dealt with.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top