Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/14/2014 10:06:54 PM EDT
After owning my amd65 for about 6 months, I noticed the hammer pin was very loose. After stripping the rifle, I found the retaining wire broken in two. I ordered a tapco retaining plate to replace the retaining wire, but the selector did not line up with the selector hole in the plate. I had to grind the selector hole in the plate much wider so the selector could be inserted completely through the plate and rifle. The plate still cannot completely clip onto the hammer pin, but enough of the plate is in contact with the pin that it still appears to hold it in place. My concern is that the selector switch will not hold the pins in place while firing the rifle. Are there any retaining plates that will fit the amd65 without modification? Can I order a replacement wire that will fit the amd? Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the tapco one and i had to make the hole bigger for the safety selector, i believe it fits fine after that. I have definitely put a few hundred rounds through it since without issue. I would test it out and see if the pins start to back out ..just keep an eye on it..again i believe mine fits fine, definitely hasn't backed out any since installing..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Red Star Arms in my AMD.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the red star arms plate require any fitting?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the red star arms plate require any fitting?
View Quote

Been a while but not that I recall.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I put the Tapco one in mine, and it definitely required some fitting.  I put it in there, saw where the overlap was and colored it with a silver sharpie through the outside of the hole.  I then gently took some material out using a rounded dremmel bit (this way the hole stays round).  A few tries with this and it fits perfectly.  You definitely don't want to take too much.

If the Red Star one doesn't require fitting that sounds like a much better option.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
When Krebs makes a $10 part, I would never mess with Tapco.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
AKs are not always perfectly aligned and specs are not exact.  This is no big deal and nothing to worry about.  Try several different retainer plates in sequence to see what works best (BTW the Tapco is fine...a lot of their stuff is criticized, but the fire control(trigger) kits and retainer plates are good to go).  Any brand retainer plate may need a little work to fit properly.  No big deal.  If your AMD-65 is assembled by Century, it's more likely to be a little out of spec; if it's a TGI built on an authentic FEG receiver, less so.  No big deal.  Have fun.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top