Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 10:35:40 AM EDT
I recently aquired a new TGI AMD-65 as my first AK type weapon.  I'm thinking about having it stripped and parkerized.  I've Duracoated several weapons with awesome results but I think this rifle needs a professional strip and parkerization service.  If nothing else it definitely needs to have the flash hider permanently attached in a much better way than the loose weld holding it in place now.  Thoughts?  Is this an AK worthy of the added expense?  Should I just Duracoat it?  I'm thinking it's a keeper if for nothing else as a "I got one of those" rifles.  Any recommendations where to send it for refinishing ?
    I think I may want to add wood upper and lower hand guards and maybe the AMD65Tech stock also.  Where might I find the proper gas tube to allow for upper hand guard?  I know I may have to modify the gas tube to work but is there any particular one I need?  Is there anywhere to buy one already altered?  I sincerely appreciate the input.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a Waffen Werkz AMD65 - they come Duracoated from the factory and tend to sell for a little less than the FEG guns. Might be another good option.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:26:05 AM EDT
[#2]
They are generally good guns. I personally don't think parkerizing looks right on AK's, I would go the Duracoat route or if your cheap -like me- you could shoot it with some appliance epoxy and bake it on. That works well and looks pretty good. If the paint on yours is like mine anything would be an improvement.

If you want to put wood on it it's not hard. There are 2 little "nubs" inside the handguard retainer to hold the metal one in place. They will keep the lower wood from fitting right. Some folks grind them off, I just took a bit off the front edge of the wood handguard with a file and it fit right in.

You can use any gas tube afaik, I used a Polish one, but it has to shortend and then the cut end has to be opened up a bit. I just carefully cut mine with a hacksaw and gently hammered progressively larger sockets into the end to slowly open it up. Took about 10 minuts and it works just fine.

Also instead of welding the brake/extension on more just sbr the thing and ditch it altogether!

Original furniture:

With wood and slant brake:
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I recently aquired a new TGI AMD-65 as my first AK type weapon.  I'm thinking about having it stripped and parkerized.  I've Duracoated several weapons with awesome results but I think this rifle needs a professional strip and parkerization service.  If nothing else it definitely needs to have the flash hider permanently attached in a much better way than the lose weld holding it in place now.  Thoughts?  Is this an AK worthy of the added expense?  Should I just Duracoat it?  I'm thinking it's a keeper if for nothing else as a "I got one of those" rifles.  Any recommendations where to send it for refinishing ?
    I think I may want to add wood upper and lower hand guards and maybe the AMD65Tech stock also.  Where might I find the proper gas tube to allow for upper hand guard?  I know I may have to modify the gas tube to work but is there any particular one I need?  Is there anywhere to buy one already altered?  I sincerely appreciate the input.  Thanks!
View Quote

Please read through this 'Hungarian' section. All you need has already been brought up. I would just add that it should be painted semi-gloss black. Other than the paint and fixing the extension/brake, I wouldn't mess with it. The quickest and best way to replace your extension is to find one of the Tapco one-piece units. You'll have to fit it so it gets tight at the same time its timed properly, then you can have it welded to the sight base. You could do the same thing to the one you have - just carefully file away the weld where its welded to the sight base and unscrew it. Sand or grind on the back end and tighten it up on the barrel. Eventually it will get wrench-tight and be turned correctly at the same time. Then you take it to a welding shop and have it tacked right back in the same place. It won't be crooked or shoot loose any more.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]
What is wrong with the original finish? I wouldn't spend money to park it, especially since any parked AK looks ridiculous. I DEFINITELY would not use any duracrap on it. Actually, I wouldn't duracoat any gun ever. If you need to refinish it and you aren't worried about keeping it original, then Cerakote is by far the best option on the market. And why would you screw with the flash hider? Is it loose? If not, then leave it alone. There's no reason to go spending money to "fix" something that isn't broken.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is wrong with the original finish? I wouldn't spend money to park it, especially since any parked AK looks ridiculous. I DEFINITELY would not use any duracrap on it. Actually, I wouldn't duracoat any gun ever. If you need to refinish it and you aren't worried about keeping it original, then Cerakote is by far the best option on the market. And why would you screw with the flash hider? Is it loose? If not, then leave it alone. There's no reason to go spending money to "fix" something that isn't broken.
View Quote

Like I said in the original post the flash hider is loose.  If it wasn't loose I wouldn't need it reattached. Thanks for your opinion.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top