Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/1/2014 1:15:10 AM EDT
I just made a transaction for a post ban KEG SA85M with a thumbhole stock.  I want to replace the buttstock with a traditional stock ASAP.  Will this accept traditional AK stocks?  I was told yes.  Could someone point me in the right direction to a good surplus rear stock?  Thank you.  I plan to have the barrel threaded and the front sight replaced with a lugged setup.  The rifle looks great and I'm excited:

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 1:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great iron wood makes nice stocks for these any will work for stamped receiver. Replacing gas block fir a lug wont make a difference since that us short piston model. Bayonet wont fit .
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'm more concerned with getting the barrel threaded than I am a bayonet.  This will be a shooter.  Any recommendations for someone to thread the barrel who has fairly quick turnaround?  Also, I will be happy with a surplus stock and not needing Ironwood designs necessarily.  This will accept a standard AK/AKM butt stock?
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You can do it yourself very easy they sell a threader for it takes about 10 min
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Great, where can I find one?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can do it yourself very easy they sell a threader for it takes about 10 min
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Any parts supplier have them  also seen them hear in ee
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a good place to start, and a good place to get the tools.  Check out his "barrel threading information".

http://www.cncwarrior.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1851

Link Posted: 2/6/2014 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Yours is gonna be a bit harder to do the gas block because it looks like yours is using the AMD65 setup.

All still doable but just a bit of a different route.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
For all practical purposes you would not do anything to the gas block or front sight. Like already said, you can't use a bayonet anyway. Your rifle does use the short gas system of the AMD65 as already mentioned, which means the gas block had to be brought closer to the receiver. It would not be feasible to change that. The gun will work fine as it is.
I recommend you send it or take it somewhere professional for the barrel threading. It is possible to mess that job up. At the same time, it would be smart to install a muzzle attachment indexing spring and plunger in the sight base - most likely it has the hole for it on the front of the base. The sight base will be removed and reinstalled anyway for the threading.
A short cut on the stock is to get a Bulgarian blonde stock which will fit. Any new stock requires fitting because the tenon is made big so you can get a tight fit. You'll have to do some sanding on the tenon but you should have no trouble fitting it. Whatever you do, don't alter or get rid of the gas tube or original hand guards. The gas tube is valuable because it has the hand guard clips on it. This allows wood hand guards to be used on an AMD65, where otherwise you have to make a short gas tube out of a regular one to do that. The hand guards are also valuable because they are getting rare. Don't stain them or modify in any way. Regular AK hand guards fit in case you want to try something different. You should be able to find the correct wood pistol grip as it is the same grip used on the AMD 65s (some AMD65s have gray plastic grips).
But the bottom line is, you have bought one of the finest factory-made AKs ever imported. It was made 100% in Hungary and imported as a complete rifle. You'll have to bring it into 922r compliance after putting on the buttstock and pistol grip. Typically, you install a single-hook Tapco G2 trigger set and use a USA-made magazine.

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
OP,

I regards to 922r, you have a few options, but you need to keep it in mind either way.  Many people like to put the Tapco trigger group in, but part of the reason I love mine so much is the FCG that came in these rifles.  If you want to keep it, then you really don't have much choice but to do a USA made furniture set.  Ironwood Designs does a beautiful blonde beechwood set made specifically for the SA-85M.  It's a little more than going the tapco or surplus route, but the end result is an absolutely stunning SA-85M with the same beautiful blonde wood the originals came with.  You can then use surplus mags with US followers and baseplates, or just fully US mags.

Either way, the rifle is beautiful.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully this will add to the thread. I have two just like the one pictured except mine look to have longer gas blocks but I could be mistaken. In either case, to be 922r compliant it seems that a rifle needs either 4 or 5 American made parts. So, changing out the stock to a pistol grip, grip screw,  butt stock and new break on the barrel would get you there, or close correct?

Also, am I correct in assuming that this model being a stamped receiver can be converted to a folding stock?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the same gun with the short gas tube. Swapped out all the furniture, pistol  grip, buttstock, and hand guard with an Ironwood set  (3 US parts), changed the FCG  with a TAPCO set (3 US parts). Gun is now compliant. I then had the barrel threaded and installed a slant break, the gas block and front sight base replaced. It's now "de banned"

I had the gas block, front sight base and barrel threading done by  Mike at Merridian Ordnance. He then refinished it matching the semigloss black finish that makes these guns look awesome.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#12]
its well worth the $$ to get a proper stock set(they look beautiful) and the ironwood stock set is a awesome 2nd choice.

maybe a Bulgarian blond surplus stock?

if you intend to used a regular akm surplus stock set the lower hg will have to be modded to work with the hungarian lower HG retainer
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I have some Hungarian type gas blocks if you need one
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top