Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2013 10:56:35 AM EDT
I replaced my hogue grip with a magpul on my AMD 65. The stock release button seems to hurt a lot more when I'm grasping the magpul pistol grip. I think my hand sits up higher on the magpul than on the hogue and this causes the stock release button to run against the web of my hand.

Anyone else have this problem? I hate to switch grips back but it didn't seem as big of an issue with the hogue.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try getting one of those AR-AK grip adapters and running a conventional MIAD.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't use the folder much, or at all, you can replace the button with a screw that will seat inside the trunnion.  Won't stick out at all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:32:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Echo Nine Three wrote a small piece about AK grip design and points out a small detail that many aftermarket grip makers are overlooking.

Link to info here

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Echo Nine Three wrote a small piece about AK grip design and points out a small detail that many aftermarket grip makers are overlooking.

Link to info here

View Quote

That is exactly my problem. I'm riding the grip to high because of the magpul grip design.

I don't really want to lose the folding feature but that is good to know about the screw.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't call that link 'info' without an aterisk*

Interesting though. I've been satisfied with the Tapco SAW grip, though I'm sure there's better out there. I'll keep this in mind if I ever do replace it.

On this topic... the Tapco does make harder to press the screw. Wish there was something to add some area to press. Suppose welding a piece on the head of the screw is an option.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't use the folder much, or at all, you can replace the button with a screw that will seat inside the trunnion.  Won't stick out at all.
View Quote

The button IS a screw. You turn it in to increase the pressure required to release the lock and vice-versa. If the screw is hard to push (and they all are, but you should be able to operate it without a hammer), unscrew it and pack the hole with Militech 1 grease. Put the screw back in and get an adjustment on it that you can live with. But bottom line, if the aftermarket grip won't work for you, go back to the original.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top