Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/28/2013 9:38:44 PM EDT
I was zeroing a T-1 Micro on my AMD-65 the other day, and it delivered a 4-shot group at 50 yards that could be covered with a quarter. I have never shot this rifle for groups due to the 12" barrel and previous lack of an optic, but maybe it's a better shooter than I had thought (and I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of the grouping at the time). It may not be match-grade accuracy, but I am certain that it will hold its own against most AR's at short-medium distances for shooting "minute of man." Are you guys getting this kind of accuracy out of your AMD's? Is roughly 1-1.5 MOA the norm for these guns?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure about MOA, but I regularly shoot an 8"X10" steel plate at 100yds with open sight with my Amd.
Usually hit about 25 out of 30 rounds on the plate.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Your group at 50 was great. The AMD65 12" barrel is inherently accurate because it is shorter/stiffer than a 16" barrel, but you give up some velocity. Also, the fitting of the gas tube along with the tight-fitting vented steel fore arm further stabilize the barrel. I had similar and completely unexpected results with mine - not as tight a group, but I had it sighted at 50 very quickly. In fact, when I later fired my SA85M with wood hand guards and got larger groups than the AMD65, I took a closer look and found the lower hand guard was not well-fitted, which I think allowed more barrel-whip. I changed the front end on that to the naked gas tube and vented steel fore arm (very tight) which instantly reduced the groups. If I ever go back to the wood fore arm on the SA85M, I'll have to build up the front tenon and fit it, which should give the same results as the steel fore arm.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your group at 50 was great. The AMD65 12" barrel is inherently accurate because it is shorter/stiffer than a 16" barrel, but you give up some velocity. Also, the fitting of the gas tube along with the tight-fitting vented steel fore arm further stabilize the barrel. I had similar and completely unexpected results with mine - not as tight a group, but I had it sighted at 50 very quickly. In fact, when I later fired my SA85M with wood hand guards and got larger groups than the AMD65, I took a closer look and found the lower hand guard was not well-fitted, which I think allowed more barrel-whip. I changed the front end on that to the naked gas tube and vented steel fore arm (very tight) which instantly reduced the groups. If I ever go back to the wood fore arm on the SA85M, I'll have to build up the front tenon and fit it, which should give the same results as the steel fore arm.
View Quote

Great point about the shorter barrel being stiffer--I never would have thought about that. And mine actually doesnt have the traditional steel forearm that most do. I have a Midwest Industries rail, which clamps down pretty tightly. I guess that makes everything a little more rigid. This is what it looks like. Ugly, but it has been through a lot and has proven itself to be a great shooter.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly my AMD is probably the best shooting open sighted rifle I own.

I think some of it has to do with the short, stiff barrel and a lot has to do with the fact that it just fits me like a glove. It's just so easy to get a consistent cheek weld and to hold it the same way each time.

Now granted, I rarely shoot it at long distance but out to 100 yards the thing is a frickin' laser!

Just had it out today in fact.

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I sincerely don't believe the whole free floating works with the AMD65, adding an ultimak and I was getting a good 1.5 to 2moa with regular ammo and with Lapua, it hovered on 5 shot 1moa  or so at 100 yards.

Yes, Lapua is over 1.33 a round, yes its expensive, yes once again its stupid expensive, I got it, but you know what.....its quality match ammo and you can really see the capability of your rifle using it.

Mines is SBR'd and I am proud of it to be my go to rifle with the Aimpoint on it and a Stremlight laser/light combo
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never shot for groups with mine but have been very surprised at how accurate it is.  It was also very dead on when shooting at smaller objects from 50 yards and in with the open sights.  My brother in law was very amazed at what we were hitting with it.  I did do a krebs conversion with an ace stock that makes for a better cheek weld.  Plus I think the G2 trigger is quite nice.  Makes for very easy bump firing!
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
AMD65 accuracy... I remember hitting a 15" steel plate fairly consistantly out at 300yds. I recall compensating for much drop. I was benched for some but also standing. My cousin also had a decent amount of hits from the bench with it. This is using the brass Yugo ammo.

I was impressed out to the 300yds I had. I've never shot for groups (benched+bagged or off a sled), which I should, but accuracy at 100yds wasn't so great...

The sights on an AK give me some trouble compared to the other, more accurate, designs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]
short barrel.....good ammo......STIFF barrel....

= good accuracy.

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top