User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2013 11:52:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesus wept.

Get that utg crap off that rifle. Sell it pony up for a Midwest Industries rail, and a bushnell trs25, or Primary arms micro.

I regret all my wasted time, and money on that shit.

I'll give you my T shirt, I've been there.

That optic may work for shooting, but it will shit the bed in rain, abuse, or cold.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you tell me how you really feel?
I haven't used the optic yet, my son let me borrow it. I know what your saying, I bought a cheap holographic sight and it wouldn't keep zero after a couple of shots.
I prefer the holographic type, since I've gotten older I can't see sh** with the iron sights.
I've looked at the Bushnell and the PA optics, if I can't find a decent holographic that doesn't cost more
than the rifle, I'll end up with one of those.
As far as the rail, it works fine. I haven't had a problem with it. It's comfortable and holds the attachments, what more does it need to do?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem with that rail is it compressed the piston and gas tube, and the zero changes as that heats up.

The MI rail has independent clamps that attach the rails to the barrel near the thickest parts. The top optic mount can be removed for cleaning with a dependable return to zero. The optic mount for MI also is free floated and non binding. It does not compress the gas tube.

utg has no ability to return to zero after full cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet looking AR
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The MI rail gets really really hot. Even with casual shooting.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Hot? Seriously.

At some point just grip the mag, or AFG and finish the fight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet looking AR
View Quote

I figured I'd hear that eventually. I will say, I haven't seen another like it.Not sure if that's good or bad
I was trying to decide between that stock and the Ace folding stock. I didn't want to buy the folder adapter and the folding stock and end up not liking it. I figured at
least with this stock I can adjust it to where I want it. I just truly hated the wire stock. To be honest, if I had know it would have cost this much money
to get it where I was comfortable shooting it, I would have just bought a regular AK. But....I got a decent deal on the AMD before the crap hit the fan on prices.
Hard to believe that AR's have come back down in price, but AK's have not. I'll stick with the AK platform cause I got a lot of 7.62 ammo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jesus wept.

Get that utg crap off that rifle. Sell it pony up for a Midwest Industries rail, and a bushnell trs25, or Primary arms micro.

That optic may work for shooting, but it will shit the bed in rain, abuse, or cold.
View Quote

Will a MWI rail off of a regular AK work on the AMD? I found one at a pretty good price locally, but want to make sure it will work.
Also, do you have any experience with the Fastfire Relfex sight? I'm looking for a reflex type, but don't want to drop $400 on one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Bottom line, do whatever you like with YOUR rifle.  I only have 3 suggestions mostly based off of a lot  of experience with this rifle and the parts on it.

No experience with these, but there is an Ace adapter that is a lot shorter than the Krebs.

There would be absolutely ZERO benefit from ditching the UTG rail for the MI.  I've had them both and there is no difference.  Zero does not change.  Unless you want a dot specific mount that the MI rail offers, you're just paying for the name.  I ditched em both for Ultimak, for what I needed it for.

DO NOT get the Burris Fastfire III.  The batter door on top does not hold up to the recoil of the 7.62x39 round.  I had to send mine back twice, and sold it the third time.  Each time it was the battery door.  If would shut off on every shot.  Otherwise, it's a great little dot.

If it's range trips you want an optic for, the Bushnell and Primary Arms should do just fine.  If it's classes and constant training with a group you may be in or whatever else, it'd be wise to spend a bit more on something that will last and last.  

These are just suggestions based off of my experience with this rifle and the accessories mentioned.  The AMD is an excellent platform, so don't get stuck in that mindset that you should only buy cheap parts just because it's not a thousand dollar rifle.  I can achieve the same groups with this rifle as my AR, out to 150 yards.  After that, the groups do get bigger while AR groups don't get as big, but that's a combination of the rifle's limits and my capabilities.  I know a guy that can easily get under 3 inch groups out to 300 yards.  He can hit an 8 inch plate out to 500 yards every time.  It's all about breathing and trigger control.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bottom line, do whatever you like with YOUR rifle.  I only have 3 suggestions mostly based off of a lot  of experience with this rifle and the parts on it.

No experience with these, but there is an Ace adapter that is a lot shorter than the Krebs.

There would be absolutely ZERO benefit from ditching the UTG rail for the MI.  I've had them both and there is no difference.  Zero does not change.  Unless you want a dot specific mount that the MI rail offers, you're just paying for the name.  I ditched em both for Ultimak, for what I needed it for.

DO NOT get the Burris Fastfire III.  The batter door on top does not hold up to the recoil of the 7.62x39 round.  I had to send mine back twice, and sold it the third time.  Each time it was the battery door.  If would shut off on every shot.  Otherwise, it's a great little dot.

If it's range trips you want an optic for, the Bushnell and Primary Arms should do just fine.  If it's classes and constant training with a group you may be in or whatever else, it'd be wise to spend a bit more on something that will last and last.  

These are just suggestions based off of my experience with this rifle and the accessories mentioned.  The AMD is an excellent platform, so don't get stuck in that mindset that you should only buy cheap parts just because it's not a thousand dollar rifle.  I can achieve the same groups with this rifle as my AR, out to 150 yards.  After that, the groups do get bigger while AR groups don't get as big, but that's a combination of the rifle's limits and my capabilities.  I know a guy that can easily get under 3 inch groups out to 300 yards.  He can hit an 8 inch plate out to 500 yards every time.  It's all about breathing and trigger control.  

Hope this helps.
View Quote

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I will probably order the Primary Arms optic, unless I can find a reflex that's worth a damn around $200. I also won't be using this rifle to shoot past probably 50-100 yards, max. I have other rifles for that. This is a high capacity "guard the perimeter" weapon, more or less.
I have this and other weapons in case of a SHTF scenario such as Katrina or the like, If I need to defend my home and family against "insurgents" from the netherlands of Atlanta coming out to the suburbs in search of easy prey. I don't need a $1000 weapon to do that, as long as it goes "bang" every time with reasonable accuracy, I'm good. So far the AMD has gone "bang" whenever I've pulled the trigger, I'm just old and the vision is not what is used to be so I cant' hit sh** with the iron sights and need some "help".

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Also- do yourself a favor. Shoot at paper plates with an AK. They are 2-4 inch group guns. Don't kick it's ass trying to hit 6 inch targets at 100-200. Judge it by wether it will reliably hit the plate.. Anywhere on the plate.

The PA micro is a dream.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Paper plates is a good idea, heck of a lot cheaper than targets
I will probably order the PA in the next couple of days. They are around $90 shipped, the Bushnell TRS is $70 shipped.
I would think the better customer service would be worth the extra $20.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the pointed thing at the back of the gun under the recoil spring lug? Other than that, why didn't you just get a WASR?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is the pointed thing at the back of the gun under the recoil spring lug? Other than that, why didn't you just get a WASR?
View Quote

It's for attaching the Krebs rear rail adapter.
Got a good deal on the AMD before the prices got ridiculous. Thought I would like the folding/wire stock, I was wrong.
For what I've got in the AMD, I probably could have bought a pre-crazy price WASR.
But, there's a million WASR's, not seen to many AMD's, and I like to be different. The AMD was a decent priced gun that's a hoot to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a MI rail on my AMD it it is much nicer than any of that UTG crap. I also have an Aimpoint Micro hopefully coming on the way in a couple months. There's nothing wrong with spending a little extra on quality parts. It may actually help
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a MI rail on my AMD it it is much nicer than any of that UTG crap. I also have an Aimpoint Micro hopefully coming on the way in a couple months. There's nothing wrong with spending a little extra on quality parts. It may actually help
View Quote

Well, good for you

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Saying the UTG and MI rails are the same is just bullshit. The lower hand guard on the MI stays attached to the AK during a full cleaning. The UTG has to be totally removed because it does not clamp to the barrel. It vices the gas tube and barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Deleted most of my last post.
Screw this, not worth getting into an internet argument over what's the greatest or what's a piece of shit.
Cars, guns, women, whatever. Everyone has their opinion.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and tattoo
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Ordered the PA micro dot today, see how it goes. May end up with the ultimak rail so it will co-witness.
Down the road will pick up an eotech, I see them used for $300 or so.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I like my ultimak, however I want to get the new 7.62x39 1-6x scope that PA is coming out with so I need to find another option.  Thinking about the tws dog leg but I'm not sold on its ability to hold 0.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like my ultimak, however I want to get the new 7.62x39 1-6x scope that PA is coming out with so I need to find another option.  Thinking about the tws dog leg but I'm not sold on its ability to hold 0.
View Quote

I was thinking of waiting for that one also, but needed something now. I'm older and the vision isn't what it used to be, so I can't hit sh** with the iron sights.
You'll have to report back and let us know how it is. I saw the one for the AR, it looks pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a TWS dogleg with a Eotech 512 mounted in correct position and it holds zero perfectly.  Good out to 150 yards.  Ran a tactical school with it no issues.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use a TWS dogleg with a Eotech 512 mounted in correct position and it holds zero perfectly.  Good out to 150 yards.  Ran a tactical school with it no issues.
View Quote

Do you have the newer TWS or the older one? From posts I read, there are some unhappy people with the fit of the new one.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Gotta give it up to Primary Arms, nice product and fast shipping. Got it in two days. Can't wait to go shooting with it.
Also got my Zahal sling, not so impressed. Sent me the wrong one, emailed them and haven't heard back yet. This could suck, shipping
took forever from Israel. They sent me a single point, bungee cord like sling instead of the two point sling. We shall see how their customer service is.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Will a MWI rail off of a regular AK work on the AMD? I found one at a pretty good price locally, but want to make sure it will work.
Also, do you have any experience with the Fastfire Relfex sight? I'm looking for a reflex type, but don't want to drop $400 on one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus wept.

I have a Burris FastFire on an underfolder mounted in an Attero hooded mount.  It is the way to go in my opinion.  no rail needed.

These are not my pics but will show you what it looks like.  It mounts where the rear leaf sight is.  Awesome set up and easy.

http://www.atteroarms.com/shop/attero-arms-fastfire-lllll-mount/

Attero even makes a mount for a Primary Arms micro (Best Budget Red Dot on the market hands down)

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hope this helps.
View Quote

I have a FastFire II and have had zero problems with it after thousands of rounds and plenty of abuse.  I can't speak to the III, but the II is good to go.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 3:40:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Good choice on the AMD vs the WASR.

Here's a piece I like; Mako / FAB Def Stock

It shortens it up to a 11" LOP, or 7 1/2" back from the receiver collapsed. 11 1/2" extended (14" LOP). I consider it decent quality and function. Almost TOO easy to install... 0.0

This isn't just a stock. It has a composite stock adapter + M4 buffer tube as one lightweight peice. I hunted for a stock that would shorten it up when collapsed, and all the adapters and other models were as long as Warsaw or even NATO length....

You can also buy the adjustable cheek rest / comb THIS ONE

I didn't put this on an AMD, so I'd check before buying.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 4:12:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I haven't found a solution I'm happy with on rails and mounting optics on AK's.

I do know the UTG and NcStar stuff isn't worth what you'll pay, in the way that you'll probably need to spend even more after to replace it.

Optics, I'm NOT happy with the TRS-25. My issues with it lie past 150m; and even if you don't plan to engage further than that, you still may need to. But, the TRS probably offers the same as the Primary Arms model, though I wish I had both to tell you which I think is 'better.'

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Saying the UTG and MI rails are the same is just bullshit. The lower hand guard on the MI stays attached to the AK during a full cleaning. The UTG has to be totally removed because it does not clamp to the barrel. It vices the gas tube and barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In some ways it is different, but overall, it's the same thing.  Just the MI is nicer.  I'm not arguing for the sake of thinking I am smarter than anyone, or to say I am a ridiculously experienced shooter, but you are flat out wrong about the UTG having to be completely removed.  The bottom rail stays on the same way the stock hand grip did.  It is compressed between the receiver and foregrip retainer.  I actually ran my AMD pretty hard with ONLY the UTG bottom.  Took the top off cause I installed the dogleg and mounted my T1 on it.  The UTG comes with little spacers that help the lower rail even more.  I will acknowledge that perhaps some AMD's foregrip retainers are juuuust loose enough for the bottom rail to come off, but out of the 5 I have seen in person with UTG rails installed, I have never seen the rail drop off, or move.  As stated, it's the same concept as the stock foregrip that comes with it.  Anyway, that was a long time ago, and I am currently using Ultimak rails.  So far they are the best I've used.  Never the less, it is NOT bullshit.  Sometimes we are unfamiliar with something and we learn new stuff every day.  The MI does have that piece that mounts on the barrel, but in my experience, it just adds weight.  Other than that, they are the same.  

Oh and OP, I sawed off the front of the UTG when I had mine.  You may not want to, but it WILL get snagged on stuff in classes.

Quoted:

I have a Burris FastFire on an underfolder mounted in an Attero hooded mount.  It is the way to go in my opinion.  no rail needed.

[/url]

I had that setup with the BFF3 and LOVED IT.  I may go back to that setup, when I go back to a simpler setup.  That mount is well worth it.  And I personally think the Attero is better than the MI mount.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have a FastFire II and have had zero problems with it after thousands of rounds and plenty of abuse.  I can't speak to the III, but the II is good to go.
View Quote

I have no experience with the II but hear it's awesome, other than the complaints about the on/off switch breaking.  I almost bought it for my M&P CORE, but went with the Jpoint.  I like the Fastfire better than the Jpoint.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top