Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2013 10:28:41 PM EDT
My SA 85M  has the thumbhole stock, the gun is in good shape and i would shoot it more if i had the regular stock on it. Can i put any usa made stock, pistol grip, and forend on it and still be legal or do i have to add more parts to reconvert it back to glory. i bought it during the clinton ban and it has been nuetered.

One other question, If i put one of those Rifle Dynamics type front sight/gas blocks on, then would i have to add other parts?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
An AK with a muzzle device requires 6 US made parts. AKs without a muzzle device only need five. So unless the muzzle on your rifle has been threaded you would need two more US parts tub addition to the US furniture. Fire control group components are easy and cheap swaps.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
OP the first reply is correct.  FWIW here's the route I took with the same ban rifle.  Stock-Pistol Grip-Handguards-Magazine.  The mag gives you three parts by itself.  Obviously you don't get the luxury of using surplus mags but mine loves Tapco mags anyway.

The other option is to take it to a gunsmith and have the muzzle threaded.  Its not that expensive but the problem you'll run into is that since the ban SA85-M's done have threaded muzzles, the front sights don't have the detent pin that normal AK's do to help retain the muzzle brake.

As the other poster said, you can always add a cheap Tapco fire control group which will give you the numbers you need and allow you to use any mags you want.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I went  HTS, gas piston, and muzzle brake US made and also the furniture of pistol grip, stock.

that was enough to use any magazine I believe.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top