Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2012 6:52:54 PM EDT
I got a TGI AMD-65 from Centerfire Systems a few weeks ago. It came with only a Tapco 20 round mag.

I ordered  a few 30 and 40 round Bulgarian metal-reinforced polymer mags from Wideners. These are the slabsided mags. Frankly, these were a good price and I think I read better made than Tapco's.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000596&dir=625|889

I cannot get these mags to insert for love or money. When you insert it and go to rock it into place, either the back tab won't go down or the back tab does go down but the front tab of the mag pops out. I've held these mags up against other mags and the tabs seems to be in the right location.

I have tried 20 and 30 round metal mags and they work perfectly, The Tapco 20 and 30 round mags work perfectly as well.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, do you think it is a mag problem or a magwell problem? Would a little judicious filing of the rear mag tab solve the issue? I'm torn between just returning them or seeing if I can make them work first.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a mag issue if all the others you've tried fit well. If you fiddle with your rifle to get those to fit are the others that work now still going to be tight enough?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sounds like a mag issue if all the others you've tried fit well. If you fiddle with your rifle to get those to fit are the others that work now still going to be tight enough?

A very good point. I'd rather fiddle with the mag and not the rifle. I'm thinking just a little bit of filing on the mag might solve the problem.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking just a little bit of filing on the mag might solve the problem.

Oh sorry, I missunderstood you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the same problem with a mag that has the bullets on the sides... you just need to do some filing of the mag where the indent and tabs are.  It helps if you take off your bolt and dustcover and look down inside of whats catching first, and insert mags that you know work.  You should be able to see where the slabsides are having issues compared to the known good mags.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried the mag with some rounds in it? There was a description from one of the vendors that said the mags had to be loaded to fit right. It might be there mags.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same exact problem with Tapco mags. I found a light pass on a belt sander on each side of the mag on the area that fits into the receiver solved the problem. The mags can now be inserted and quickly lock into position. I had no problems with metal magazines.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I tweaked polymer mags to fit - start by determining if the mag guide rails inside the receiver need to be corrected - sometimes they are not fully filed for the double-stack mags in the FEG SA2000M receivers, and they might gouge the sides of a polymer mag when trying to insert. Then, you probably will have to lightly file on the upper rear corners of the mag behind the feed lips to get it to enter the mag well. Go lightly here and check after every cut - you don't want to weaken the mag. You may get into the steel liner a little. I touched mine up with black Alumahyde II, which matched fine and is durable. Don't do anything to the rear locking flange at this point. It may be needed to very lightly take a small amount off the front locking lug, more like polishing then cutting.
There is a possible legal issue with using imported mags if the 922r scheme for the rifle counted on any USA-made parts in the magazine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#9]
To clarify, look into the magwell and see the cross-pin in the receiver at the back of the well - that is what the rear corners of the mag ride over as the mag swings into position. Sometimes the dimensions from the front locking lug to the cross-pin are a few thousandths of an inch off, making it very tight to get the mag in. Again, very lightly file the upper rear corners and try the fit - repeat as-needed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
one minute with a pocket knife fixes this for me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm having an issue right now, and it might be the same one.

My AMD65 and brand new Tapco mags. Just off the line. None my older ones have this issue.

When I got them about a week ago, only half would lock in without issue. The others seemed to only go in once in a while. Trying to figure out why, I noticed I could get all the mags to lock in, no problem, if I turned the rifle over and made sure to put the mags in exactly straight. Something is catching with these new mags, probably from a small change in manufacturing.

At first I thought it was the back tab on the mag hitting the sides of the mag catch, but looking more, it's not. So is this somehow caused by the front 'tab/ridge' of the magazine when seated into the rifle?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I've noticed sometimes with my BRAND NEW TAPCO mags that they need to be LOADED to fit into the magwell for somereason.... this is on my AMD
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#13]
It's been a while, but heres waht I discovered (now long ago).

Those factory new 'Made in Bulgaria' aren't metal reinforced whatsoever that I can find. Frankly, they're junk to me, even though they're made in a country you normally get quality AK stuff from.

The very rear of the feed lips hit a pin inside the receiver before it can lock into place. The Tapco's have a slanted back on top to make room, but newer ones need a little more maybe? Idk, all I know is those cheap Bulgy exports hit that pin, and would have to be shaved down. Possibly too much.

Disassemble and look for yourself. Mine were nowhere near locking in.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Had the same problem trying to use those Polish "Radom" mags that are not military surplus.  Couldn't figure out why they wouldn't go in, had to take cover off and watch what they were hitting on the AMD which was a cross piece.  Had to shave off the top back corner of the mags for them to fit.  No problem with metal surplus mags.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had the same problem trying to use those Polish "Radom" mags that are not military surplus.  Couldn't figure out why they wouldn't go in, had to take cover off and watch what they were hitting on the AMD which was a cross piece.  Had to shave off the top back corner of the mags for them to fit.  No problem with metal surplus mags.
View Quote

Enough integrity in the feed lips still? Mine looked like it would take a bit too much to get them to fit, so I didn't bother.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Enough integrity in the feed lips still? Mine looked like it would take a bit too much to get them to fit, so I didn't bother.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should at least try. It won't take as much filing as you think. But don't take too much off. Leave it when the will lock in with a little difficulty - it will 'break-in' with use.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry didn't see your question till now, no I didn't take off enough to harm the feed lips.  These were the only mags I had to take the back corner off, Tapco mags sometimes are too fat and have to trim the sides.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I have those mags still, as well as a number of Tapco ones, but they're all last-ditch backups.

With frigid temps in Minnesota, the plastic just isn't strong enough for plastic mags, or specifically plastic AK mags. The locking tabs are more prone to snapping off in the cold.

Sticking to quality milsurp steel mags.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine has this issue too and it appears the rear of the feed lips (back corners) hit a cross pin in the receiver. The original Tapco mag is just rounded enough to clear. I either have to shave the mags or the cross pin. I know you generally cut the cheapest part but I'm not sure I want to trim all my mags since I have other AKs to use them in. I need to do more comparison with my others to decide how to correct.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I would deff correct the rifle before all your mags.  The majority of mags should work as is.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#21]
You can't correct the rifle - you'd have to remanufacture it into a new receiver. What's happening is the dimension from the forward face of the cross pin to the front mag catch is a little short for most polymer mags. As a rule, most people would modify polymer mags to fit the gun since they typically are thick at the rear corners. You won't have any trouble with real military steel mags.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:26:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I shaved just a tad off of the front, under the lug, and a little more off of the rear of the feed lips.  Now it fits well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought some Yugo bolt hold open surplus mags for my TGI AMD65 and they won't rock in and I can't see what's stoping them from rocking in but it seems like the front of the mag isn't locking in and than the rear won't go in.  It's weird because all my other euro surplus ak mags fit in this rife.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#24]
It seemed strange that you were having problems with Yugo mags in an AMD so I tried it with a couple I had.  One mag had problems but I eventually got it in, the other just wouldn't go.  Just guessing that these Yugos may be just a little longer front to back.  Anyone else want to try it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I've same damn problem on my TGI factory SBR AMD65.  
The mag wouldn't seat even with Hungarian 20 or 30 rds mag.
Tapco mag didn't work as well other surplus mags.
Only thing I could do is slam that 20 rds Hungarian mag and force my mag catch to engage.
Unfortunately, I get FTF issue with this method... totally unacceptable for any AK.
Any solution to this?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#26]
it started from a single stack mag so my solution was to carefully file the sides until a mag fits fine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#27]
HOLY SHIT!
My TGI AMD65 SBR has exact same problem.
I had to slam & force into the magwell, then it FTF every couple of rounds.
Thought about shaving some metal from the mag but I know it's not the right way to do it.
Very frustrated!  

Quoted:
I've same damn problem on my TGI factory SBR AMD65.  
The mag wouldn't seat even with Hungarian 20 or 30 rds mag.
Tapco mag didn't work as well other surplus mags.
Only thing I could do is slam that 20 rds Hungarian mag and force my mag catch to engage.
Unfortunately, I get FTF issue with this method... totally unacceptable for any AK.
Any solution to this?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I had the exact same problem with Tapco mags. Problem was solved by lightly sanding top sides of the mag on a belt sander. No problem after that. Metal mags work fine but you need to use American made magazines to make the necessary parts count to be legal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Ive had a TGI AMD65 for several years. Had to send it back once, early on, due to brake coming loose (bad weld). TGI fixed it quicky- bigger weld- great service.

No problems since.

Has the FEG2000 receiver w/ dimples that was originally single stack. Opened up to double stack by TGI.

Have used only Military surplus AK mags (incl Polish plastic) and TAPCO 20 rd that it came with. All mags work fine. This weapon is flawless w/ great trigger (TAPCO G2).
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top