Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 9:36:12 AM EDT
I'd like to snag an AMD-65.  I found a good deal on an NDS receiver gun built by TGI with the wood grips.

Are the NDS receiver guns worth less?  Any less desireable?  Are the J&G guns FEG or is it luck of the draw?

I think the only reason I'd prefer an FEG is simply because it says "Made In Hungary"
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
FEG.

NDS is an excellent receiver, but if you're going to get an AMD, might as well get one that's Hungarian.  The only thing I get from Century is something that's going to a smith to get re-worked, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Pardon my ignorance, but if TGI is on the receiver, what would Century have to do with it?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I always understood that only the Century rifles are built on a U.S.-made Nodak receiver.

I thought all the TGIs were built on a Hungarian FEG receiver.  I'm relatively new to the AMD-65 game, but I'm unaware of a TGI with a Nodak receiver.  I could easily be wrong––really!  I didn't mean to be confusing.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I always understood that Century rifles are built on a U.S.-made Nodak receiver.  TGIs are built on a Hungarian FEG receiver.  I'm relatively new to the AMD-65 game, but I'm unaware of a TGI with a Nodak receiver.  I could easily be wrong.

Well, this one says "SA2000M", Nodak Spud AND has TGI below the serial number
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always understood that Century rifles are built on a U.S.-made Nodak receiver.  TGIs are built on a Hungarian FEG receiver.  I'm relatively new to the AMD-65 game, but I'm unaware of a TGI with a Nodak receiver.  I could easily be wrong.

Well, this one says "SA2000M", Nodak Spud AND has TGI below the serial number

Wow.  

If it's a good price, I'd probably get it.  I wouldn't get so hung up on the "Made in Hungary" thing, personally.  

Hopefully, one of the more enlightened members will chime in here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#6]
As a investment a Hungarian FEG TGI AMD-65 is better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks to me like TGI did indeed build a few with NDS receivers.  I see they have a few receivers for sale on GB.....

IF you go with an FEG, don't you have to run US-made mags to be in 922r compliance???  Could you change some other part out to be in compliance with an FEG-gun?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, you need two more parts for compliance with an FEG receiver.  It's 922r compliant with a US mag, but it's a no-no with a surplus (imported) mag.  I'm going to send mine off for some work anyway, so I'll have them swap out the piston while they have it and I'll put some Ironwood grips on the thing.

Link Posted: 4/22/2010 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd like to snag an AMD-65.  I found a good deal on an NDS receiver gun built by TGI with the wood grips.

Are the NDS receiver guns worth less?  Any less desireable?  Are the J&G guns FEG or is it luck of the draw?

I think the only reason I'd prefer an FEG is simply because it says "Made In Hungary"

NDS makes good standard AKM style receivers, I forget the name of the specific model but you can read the reviews online on another website but their reviews for other AK models like AK74 style or RPK style receivers haven't been as glowing. Whereas I've yet to hear a single complaint about FEG receivers. Hope you find something good whatever you decide to buy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a NDS AMD-65 built on a SA2000M reciever and I have no complaints, except for the noise. Wear all the hearing protection you can get
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
This is stupid. The SA2000M is an FEG receiver and has the FEG logo and 'Made In Hungary' on the left side. The NODAK SPUD is a USA receiver. They are two distinctly different things, and they do not have two sets of markings on them. The FEG receiver is highly recommended, and it's no big deal to have to use a two-USA-part mag, like a Bulgarian waffle body with USA follower and floorplate. This is available from KVAR. If you already have some waffles, they also sell the followers and floorplates separately.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is stupid. The SA2000M is an FEG receiver and has the FEG logo and 'Made In Hungary' on the left side. The NODAK SPUD is a USA receiver. They are two distinctly different things, and they do not have two sets of markings on them. The FEG receiver is highly recommended, and it's no big deal to have to use a two-USA-part mag, like a Bulgarian waffle body with USA follower and floorplate. This is available from KVAR. If you already have some waffles, they also sell the followers and floorplates separately.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/Guns/AMD65f.jpg

Not sure what you find 'stupid'.  I was simply conveying the fact that I saw a TGI-built AMD-65 with an NDS receiver AND SA2000M inscribed as well....
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#13]
If you wants something with a little more collector's value, the FEG.
Mine has a Nodak, built on a parts kit I acquired from Gunthings.com. Possibly my favorite AK.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top