Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2009 3:04:27 PM EDT
I received my TGI FEG AMD-65 from AIM a few days ago, and I took it out to the range this past weekend.  100 rounds as smooth as butter, and the spot weld is (still) holding firm. It's not quite as accurate as my Saiga, but I've never had more fun shooting an AK!  Extremely light recoil...fireball...all the things others have reported. I had the pleasure of shooting next to a gentleman with a civil war era musket replica, and the AMD surprisingly did not bother him, though I was careful to give him a break to shoot after his 5-minute loading sessions.  I think his clouds of black powder smoke were as interesting as the fireballs from the AMD.

I did not find any rust on this rifle, though the rear trunnion/folding stock base had been painted with something other than Gun-Kote. I touched this up with a little cold blue.  Otherwise, the finish is well done.  I left the charging handle's rubber protector on for the pics.

For those of you who have only owned or shot standard AKM's (like me up till now), shooting the AMD will put a grin on your face.

The only change I made to the rifle (right out of the box) was to replace the synthetic grips with wood grips:

If these mag wells were opened up by TGI, they did a very precise job.  Hungarian 20 rnd mags fit snug with no wobble.  Included ProMag wobbled extensively.

Small spot well is visible on left end of barrel extension.

Link Posted: 5/18/2009 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean/treat your Hungarian wood with Ballistol. Rub it with fine steel wool and Ballistol. As an alternative, use WD-40. My feelings on this gun are the same as yours. I went to the range not knowing what to expect, and left with a big grin. I can't wait to get it back out there.
Here you can see the difference between the TGI barrel extension and the one-piece Tapco:
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tip, Saxman.  I have no Ballistol, but plenty of the WD.  Aside from ordering online, where can I find Ballistol? Do any typical retailers carry this product.  I would very much like to restore my grips to the fine condition of yours.  Once I get them to that state, I'll give them a few coats of Behr tung oil as a finish.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Hungarian wood does not have a 'finish' on it per se. I would highly recommend you do not use any varnish or other finish on the wood - just keep oiling it a couple times a year. You usually find Ballistol at gun shows and marine (boating) supplies.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the same thing from Aim.  Has the synthetic grips on it.  I bought some wood grips from EE, but dont have the screws.  Where did you get the screws for your wood grips?  Will any AK type grip screw work?
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi ljh824,

I hope they're a board sponsor...Midway has them as screw/nut combo (nut not needed) for the cheapest price and shipping, plus the fastest shipping!.  Tapco-made standard screws.  Fit perfectly.

I forgot to mention in the brief review that, before firing, I did my usual thorough procedure for cleaning the barrel, and each patch came out completely clean.  No sign of any residue.  I honestly believe this barrel had never been fired.  Chromed and high quality.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you able to put conventional furniture on these?  I typically dont use a forearm grip on ARs as I grab the magazine well, and shooting the AKs I grip the receiver with my finger tips on the polymer or wood furniture.  I handled the amd-65 and tried the grip and just ended up grabing it like I usually do.

Just curious.

BB
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you able to put conventional furniture on these?  I typically dont use a forearm grip on ARs as I grab the magazine well, and shooting the AKs I grip the receiver with my finger tips on the polymer or wood furniture.  I handled the amd-65 and tried the grip and just ended up grabing it like I usually do.

Just curious.

BB

yes, you will need a standard gas tube trimmed down to length if you want wood on top though

recent thread about half way through that page is an example of mine.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top