Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Tacked stock change on a SLR95 (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate to beat  a dead horse but.., if I want to add an EMA Tactical stoc tube to my SLR-95 I dont need the bottom tang do I?
This is just for the "authentic" military look?
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a few photos of a receiver with the tang slot that's pre-cut:

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 4:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thornejc] [#3]
This is what i have... it has worked really well for me.  Converted to underfold from the thumbhole.

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I'm in the process of de-banning this SLR-95.  I just want to be sure that I locate the second rivet hole in the correct location.  This rifle is too nice to screw up with shade tree gunsmithing.  Is #2 the correct spot for the second rivet hole?

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I found the info I was looking for.  #2 is the correct location for the second rivet.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 9:50:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: papasasquatch] [#6]
Since this thread spans 7 years of questions, I think I'll add mine.  I'm buying...I acquired an unfired SLR-95 with the poly stockset (thumbhole) and I'd like to put a military stock on and I'm not about to rivet anything.  I was surprised to see that the stock on this did not have the long bolt through the stock like I thought it was supposed to have.
1) Are there other options similar to ironwood designs that utilize the long bolt through the stock to secure it in...that is hopefully <$100?
2) Do regular surplus mags and polymer mags fit in this thing?
3) I'm replacing the grip with a hogue..any special hardware needed?
4) Is the gun as heavy as a SGL21 or heavier?

Thanks folks!  ANd I'd like to see an SLR95 with an ace folder or fixed on..I want to see how long the LOP is.  I'm not going with an ACE because I'm guessing it's more than the warsaw length stock which I don't like.  Shorter is better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the same rifle several years ago. Paid 400.00 new unfired.  Now I want to get it "modern". Any suggestions here? Thanks Ray
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MEDIC-0372] [#8]
Heres my SLR-95 that I bought brand new in 1997 for $300.00.  I put an Ironwood designs butt stock on it and a Hogue hand grip and a Tasco G3 fire control group.  I also have US made followers in the magazines but I don't think that I need them.  

Here is my SLR-95 at the range.  I have it zero'ed in at 25 yards (small target) and it hits center of mass at 200 yards.  The group at 200 yards could have been smaller if I shot a little slower.  
BTW only look at the holes on the targets...the cardboard backer has many holes from other targets (all rounds hit the target at 200 yards).

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:59:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sublimeon24s] [#9]
Heres an SLR 95 stock change for those that may come in this thread inquiring about modern.......CAA aluminum 6 position tube for milled receivers with Mako GL shock stock

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MEDIC-0372] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sublimeon24s:
Heres an SLR 95 stock change for those that may come in this thread inquiring about modern.......CAA aluminum 6 position tube for milled receivers with Mako GL shock stock
View Quote

That looks good.  Do you have any more pictures...how about one with it open.  
How do y0u like it?
Is it solid?
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Just now saw this. I dont really have any pictures of it open, but I can tell you I LOVE the setup. It bolts nice and flush to the back of the receiver and looks like it belongs there, unlike many adapters that add extra "linking" middle pieces and look out of place. Tube has 6 positions that lock up nicely, and storage where I keep a 3.5ml bottle of CLP
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I finally completed my second SLR-95 makeover.  I had set it up with a Kvar stock setup and GT FCG for 922r about 12 years ago...

I always wanted a folding stock though, but didn't like the ACE setup as I didn't want to cut the tang and didn't like the look of the adapter.  I discovered the bonesteel stock a few months ago and received it last week.  Also swapped a few components to bring it into this century.

Love the stock- locks up solid, leaves the tang, but still looks good.  Should be good with this setup for at least another 12 years
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Bringing this back from the dead for a stock/922r question.
I'm looking to buy a SLR-95 and replace the thumbhole stock, but KEEP the factory pinned muzzle device.  Is it correct to think that since this SLR-95 has a permanently attached muzzle device, that is part of the "barrel" and doesn't count as a separate import part?

I don't want to use US mags or replace the excellent trigger, so I was hoping to get 3 parts from the pistol grip, handguards and buttstock, and 1 from the gas piston to bring it down to 10 import parts.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:48:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Will] [#14]
Originally Posted By paochow:
I finally completed my second SLR-95 makeover.  I had set it up with a Kvar stock setup and GT FCG for 922r about 12 years ago...

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae161/paochow006/IMAG0642_zps2718e41e.jpg

I always wanted a folding stock though, but didn't like the ACE setup as I didn't want to cut the tang and didn't like the look of the adapter.  I discovered the bonesteel stock a few months ago and received it last week.  Also swapped a few components to bring it into this century.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae161/paochow006/IMAG0689_zps1b9debbd.jpg
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae161/paochow006/IMAG0690_zps7934880d.jpg

Love the stock- locks up solid, leaves the tang, but still looks good.  Should be good with this setup for at least another 12 years
View Quote

Lesson learned. I ordered a Bonesteel stock for my SLR recently. Couple of points that I really wish I had known before I ordered one. 1. Get the right hand folder, not a left. Why? It puts the folding mechanism on the right side- which if you are a right hand shooter gets it out of your face. The right hand folder with a sling option will then put the sling on the "American" side as opposed to the off/ Russian/Euro side..... 2. Get the American length stock NOT the Warsaw- the Warsaw combined with left fold puts the damn folding mechanism right in your nose. With a .223 that might not be a big deal, with an x39 it will pop you in the nose regularly. Certainly not what I had wanted or hoped for when I bought it....Not sure what I will do with it as it's tough to shoot this way and not much fun honestly......
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grinning_bob] [#15]
Came to this thread as I just thinking about a different stock to replace the thumbhole on my SLR 95.  After reading all this I think I'll just keep it the way it came.  I would really like to have rails and better scope mounting options but it is not that high on my priority list.  Looks like a a lot of work to me and beyond my limited abilities.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
It's really not hard. Just remove the thumbhole and see if it has the slot for the lower tang.  You really don't have to rivet the tang to the lower, you can just screw it to the buttstock and let it slide up into the receiver. That alone will give strength to the stock. Believe me, the results are worth the effort!

ARKAR
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I just picked up an SLR-95 an am going attempt to install a Magpul Zhukov folding buttstock. I saw someone had hacked up a solution in a previous archived thread, but there werent too many details. Has anyone done this?

My plan is to make only modifications to the stock and make any permanent mod to the receiver.
1. Planing on chopping down the stock insert to fit inside the receiver.
2. Placing an aluminum wedge/shim that fits into the lower milled channel in he receiver to create the proper angle for the stock.
3. Creating a locking nut (like the ironwood stocks) and fixing the stock in place with a through bolt and the tang bolt.

Does this sound reasonable?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:22:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sublimeon24s] [#18]
Originally Posted By BrowningsGhost:
I just picked up an SLR-95 an am going attempt to install a Magpul Zhukov folding buttstock. I saw someone had hacked up a solution in a previous archived thread, but there werent too many details. Has anyone done this?

My plan is to make only modifications to the stock and make any permanent mod to the receiver.
1. Planing on chopping down the stock insert to fit inside the receiver.
2. Placing an aluminum wedge/shim that fits into the lower milled channel in he receiver to create the proper angle for the stock.
3. Creating a locking nut (like the ironwood stocks) and fixing the stock in place with a through bolt and the tang bolt.

Does this sound reasonable?
View Quote
Just get an ACE internal receiver block and add any quality stock you want.  Way less work, way more options, solid as hell. You do got to permanently mod the gun by cutting off the top tang (takes 2 min) but other than that its bolt up and play. If you never plan on going back to factory, which once you realize how much more awesome this rifle can be in a modernized form you wont go back to factory, then this is the best option and ive tried quite a few.

Link Posted: 12/16/2017 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#19]
So last night I fit the Zhukov-S Yugo Stock to the SLR-95. This requires NO modification to the receiver.
The fitting requires some removal of material in the stock mounting block below the tang with a narrow chisel to allow for its downward angle and a wee bit where the tang has a fillets that blend into the receiver body.
The locking block is 6061-T6 Aluminum with a 5/16-24 through hold that is attached to the stock with a SS SHCS. The block is fit to sit in the upper milled grove in the receiver and the rear window into the stock mounting pocket. It's relieved for full clearance for the full travel of the bolt carrier group. The stock is rock solid and the mating is seamless.
I could be happier new shorter stock. The stock folds full but doesn't completely clear the charging handle, which is cool because I have no interest in firing without the stock folded out.

I'm going to ceramacoat the block and will take more pictures when it is out of the rifle next if anyone is interested in seeing the backside.

I considered the ace block or any AR-15 buffer tube adapters, but for some reason slapping a buffer tube on an AK seems like putting ketchup on spagetti. lol

https://instagram.fbos1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/25011432_2027335617538725_2212660515451174912_n.jpg
https://instagram.fbos1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/25008908_132729280730056_3084488238874755072_n.jpg
https://instagram.fbos1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/25038358_1411836085605393_7249386040908054528_n.jpg
https://instagram.fbos1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/25012857_1562060063889060_5994521039399288832_n.jpg
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#20]
nice work, while you were at it you should have made a shim to correct the stock angle so its in line with the bore.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 7:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrowningsGhost] [#21]
Originally Posted By Sublimeon24s:
nice work, while you were at it you should have made a shim to correct the stock angle so its in line with the bore.
View Quote
I still might although I really like how seamless the transition is right now.
A wedge/shim would require chopping down the stock mounting block tenon a little bit more but not a big deal. As I described in the my first post one could just add a little tongue/tang that fits into the milled lower slot where one would rivet a lower tang.
Could be slick. The shim would only be maybe 5-10 degrees to get the stock to clear the action charging handle so you could fire from folded.

The other option is to simply reshape the shoulder of the stock mounting block, but this would also require the modification of the QD mounting insert.

As it is now the folded stock clears the charging handle when the bolt is closed which is really all I care about and I did the mod without buggering up the stock (for now lol)
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I purchased the SLR-95 not that long ago from a friend, and wanted nothing more than to have the Magpul Zhukov folding stock installed, but for obvious reasons (milled v stamped receiver) was not able to do so.

I reached out to a local shop near me, and these guys specialize in designing, engineering, etc. I had them make me an adapter, allowing me to mate both pieces. I've see threads where ppl have actually machined the rifle, which is something I personally wouldn't do, so this was the perfect solution as I can always go back to stock if I were to sell it or mainly have it retain it's monetary value since it's not "molested."

This adapter only added 1-1/8" of OAL in comparison to the original buttstock, which is pretty short anyway IMO.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nDaYRlxY2j2pos-WEiOK00HPvHDJasru/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n7yJAwvIMQTxT6fHj5BR5NjPzG-UBcWO/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nDaYRlxY2j2pos-WEiOK00HPvHDJasru/view?usp=sharing
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Very nice ! I do the same with M 4  plat form .
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#24]
OK guys I want to awaken this dead horse again.

I have a SLR-95 and I'm wanting to add the Magpul AK stock. at this point I don't care if it folds or not because that seems like it just adds more complication and cost and length. but looking at the ACE receiver block(s), because there are 2 apparently - internal and external (AKRBMC and AKRBB respectively), can I just add one of those and add the magpul AK stock? it appears that way. I feel like it's hard to confirm what works and what doesn't and over the years of this thread there has been different items on the market that get introduced so that's another reason i want to bring this back up.

another option is JMAC M4AK adapted that allows you to add a AR buffer tube and whichever stock. but i like the looks for the Magpul AK stock.
thoughts?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked stock change on a SLR95 (Page 2 of 2)
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top