Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/4/2016 11:37:48 AM EDT
This specific rifle

I've had a gap in my rifle collection since selling my Saiga AK-100 series. Whenever I take family or friends to the range, they always express an interest specifically in the AK-47 and it would be nice if I could humour them, and hopefully encourage more people to take up firearms ownership.

Bulgarian rifles have recently started hitting the market here, including the AR-M1. The full-size, fixed stock rifle in 5.56X45mm would be the most practical choice for me. Sold all my 7.62X39mm reloading equipment along with my Saiga, and I seldom shoot below 300yds with centrefire calibres, so the (hopefully) greater accuracy of the 5.56 rifle would be useful. Magazines are surprisingly affordable and available for the 5.56 model. The milled receiver is also a must.

Anyway, that's my rationale for the unconventional choice of rifle. There doesn't seem to be huge amounts of information about this particular model, so I am hoping to hear from some owners about how they like this rifle, any potential problems with it, its accuracy potential and so on.

Thank you!

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The closest rifle we have here in the US is the SAM5 which has been discontinued, the only difference being that the SAM5 has 14x1 threads and the AR-M1 has 24mm threaded front sight post.  When you do research on it you will find that certain examples had problems with feeding the rounds but was a defect that Arsenal fixed in later models.  5.56 usually isn't deemed as reilable as 7.62x39 but that is mainly because of the taper of the round, and if you get an ak that runs well with 5.56 you should be fine.  I remember shooting the SAM5 a couple years ago and found it a pleasant experience, a bit heavy, but the milled receiver soaked up recoil and was very accurate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The closest rifle we have here in the US is the SAM5 which has been discontinued, the only difference being that the SAM5 has 14x1 threads and the AR-M1 has 24mm threaded front sight post.  When you do research on it you will find that certain examples had problems with feeding the rounds but was a defect that Arsenal fixed in later models.  5.56 usually isn't deemed as reilable as 7.62x39 but that is mainly because of the taper of the round, and if you get an ak that runs well with 5.56 you should be fine.  I remember shooting the SAM5 a couple years ago and found it a pleasant experience, a bit heavy, but the milled receiver soaked up recoil and was very accurate.
View Quote

Thank you. I did not know they were marketed under a different name in the US.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top