Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2016 11:17:37 AM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up my first AK variant. I'm trying to find a nice AK that I know will be good out of the box. Something that I could learn to shoot with, and then later on when I know more about the platform I have something to reference.

I started to look at Arsenal AKs, but unfortunately being from California, we can't get any of the SLR series which seem reasonably priced and so popular here. I can get the SAM7 series guns and am starting to look at the SAM7R and SAM7SF. I don't seem very many threads on the SAM7 series guns. Does that mean they're not that good or is it pretty much because it does nothing really better than a SLR series, but at an added cost?

If I get a SAM7SF, is there an easy way to disable the folding mechanism that can be reversed? I know there is a CA version, but I don't think I want that one because I'm going to go featureless(if we remove the  flash hider, vertical grip, pistol grip, folding/collapsable stock, etc. we can use the normal mag release). Since this gun only needs the stock pinned open and the grip wrapped in kydex, I'd like to get the non CA version and not have to remove the Arsenal bullet button.

Are there any other guns I should be looking at for an AK? Current opinion of the SAM7 series rifles? Damn, I really wish I could get an SLR series gun.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I am not an expert, lol.  But I was in the same boat as you earlier in the year.  Had shot a few other folks AK's years ago and only recently decided to get into the AK game.  I looked at all the current offerings and fondled many a gun store AK over a 2-3 month period.  I finally went with the SAM7SF from Atlantic that you mention, it has been outstanding for me, THE BEST gun purchase I've made in several years.  I don't think the SF can be reversed, or at least not without major work, the closed-latch is milled into the side of the receiver.  Perhaps an SAM7SF guy with more knowledge can comment on that?

I know nothing of bullet buttons or California regs, best of luck.

Hking
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I am not an expert, lol.  But I was in the same boat as you earlier in the year.  Had shot a few other folks AK's years ago and only recently decided to get into the AK game.  I looked at all the current offerings and fondled many a gun store AK over a 2-3 month period.  I finally went with the SAM7SF from Atlantic that you mention, it has been outstanding for me, THE BEST gun purchase I've made in several years.  I don't think the SF can be reversed, or at least not without major work, the closed-latch is milled into the side of the receiver.  Perhaps an SAM7SF guy with more knowledge can comment on that?

I know nothing of bullet buttons or California regs, best of luck.

Hking
View Quote

Thanks a lot for the help! Glad to hear you're liking yours. I've always wanted an AK, but all the different manufacturers, builders, and countries of origin confuse me. not to mention that the quality of some of them change over time. haha yes, and it does suck with all the California regs. I wasn't planning on buying so soon, but with a bunch of laws CA just passed, it may be wiser to do so. I usually just spend all my gun money on ammo, but that may need to take a back seat for now
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top