Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 9:41:52 PM EDT
Guys, I thought some of you might want to see these pics. I recently kryloned my Arsenal 107FR, but didn't like it so I decide to strip the paint. I intentionally used a paint stripper as I was curios what it would do to the finish (it is off being Cerakoted now).

I applied one good soaking of Citristrip to the whole gun. Let it sit for half an hour, then hit it with a pressure washer. It stripped the krylon off along with a lot of the black Arsenal paint. The top cover, safety and gas tube were affected the most. The whole gun is parkerized under the paint.

Anyway, sorry for the crappy pics, but here's what Citristrip will do to the factory paint.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why?
View Quote

Why what?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Why what?

I think he wanted the paint job gone before getting it ceracoated
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Why what?

Yes, the paint was going to be stripped anyway for the Cerakote. I decided to spray it down with with Citristrip to see how much factory paint would come off with the krylon to satisfy my own curiosity. I shared it because I thought someone else on here might be curious as well.

Everyone already knows Arsenal paint sucks, hell you can wipe it off with rubbing alcohol. I just thought I would share pics.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, the paint was going to be stripped anyway for the Cerakote. I decided to spray it down with with Citristrip to see how much factory paint would come off with the krylon to satisfy my own curiosity. I shared it because I thought someone else on here might be curious as well.

Everyone already knows Arsenal paint sucks, hell you can wipe it off with rubbing alcohol. I just thought I would share pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Why what?

I did the same thing with my SA93.  2 coats of Gunkote flat black
and it looks as good as new.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
What year of manufacture is the rifle?

I've been told that they recently changed their finish. I've always heard how delicate the finish was but mine is tough, it was made in 2014.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:34:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I do think the newer made rifles have a better finish. Just picked up a 104 FR that seems to have a pretty good finish. I have some older Arsenal rifles that I think were colored with a black Sharpie. j/k about the Sharpie of course but the paint on the older model SLRs does come off easily.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've been told that they recently changed their finish. I've always heard how delicate the finish was but mine is tough, it was made in 2014.
View Quote

Not sure on the year, I'll try to find out. Interestingly when I wiped the whole gun down with alcohol to prep for the krylon camo, the paint on the top cover, gas tube and safety started wiping off heavily. I noticed that the paint on the barrel and recevier left dark marks on the paper towel, but didn't come off nearly as much.

If you look at the pic I posted, the top cover, gas tube and safety were completely stripped down to the grey park, while the barreled receiver was not. I wonder if they use different paint on those small parts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not sure on the year, I'll try to find out. Interestingly when I wiped the whole gun down with alcohol to prep for the krylon camo, the paint on the top cover, gas tube and safety started wiping off heavily. I noticed that the paint on the barrel and recevier left dark marks on the paper towel, but didn't come off nearly as much.

If you look at the pic I posted, the top cover, gas tube and safety were completely stripped down to the grey park, while the barreled receiver was not. I wonder if they use different paint on those small parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is that you add the first two numbers of the serial to 1961 and that's the year of manufacture.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My understanding is that you add the first two numbers of the serial to 1961 and that's the year of manufacture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine starts with XK54 so if you are correct, that would mean 2015 manufacture. I bought it used in July. It was a factory -32 (plum) if that helps narrow the possible manufacture dates.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mine starts with XK54 so if you are correct, that would mean 2015 manufacture. I bought it used in July. It was a factory -32 (plum) if that helps narrow the possible manufacture dates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess mine has the same finish, I sure have heard a lot of complaints that seem to be unjustified if that's the case.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:35:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Both Russia and Bulgaria have used the same weak lacquers for years - the stuff that tends to come off looking like purple ink.

When I did my first Saiga conversion I stripped all of the paint off of the rifle with nothing but brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Both Russia and Bulgaria have used the same weak lacquers for years - the stuff that tends to come off looking like purple ink.

When I did my first Saiga conversion I stripped all of the paint off of the rifle with nothing but brake cleaner.
View Quote

Yep, that's exactly what it looked like, and it wiped off easily with simple rubbing alcohol.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have two Bulgy AK-74 kits from 1990, both had the same weak lacquer as well.

Interesting is that the parkerizing job on both kits is pretty damn strong. Yours probably wouldn't look too bad once oiled down.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Interesting is that the parkerizing job on both kits is pretty damn strong. Yours probably wouldn't look too bad once oiled down.
View Quote

Yeah, the park job is nice under the paint. It is light grey, and would probably hold up fine with just a light oiling. Right now mine is off getting done in Cerakote Patriot Brown.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Rubbing alcohol is even a pretty weak solution.

You should see what everclear does to the arsenal finish.

It was a river of the purple-ish inky stuff.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am curious if the commercial Arsenal rifle is parkerized under the paint? It almost looks as if it's just sandblasted.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am curious if the commercial Arsenal rifle is parkerized under the paint? It almost looks as if it's just sandblasted.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V/R
Ron

OP's pic is an Arsenal rifle, commercial gun.
So, yep, it is parked under the paint.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Funny, on a 7 year old Saiga .308, & an early SAM 7 Carbine, brake cleaner was part of the cleaning ritual, & the guns still look new. But on an older Bulgy made milled AK, the paint came right off with brake cleaner.  GARY
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an SGL21 and stripped off the crayon paint, using stripper and pressure washer as well. went back with VHT high temp header paint. Took my time and did the proper heat curing. So far, so good.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top