Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/27/2015 4:12:52 PM EDT
Decided which way I'm going to go on unbanning my SA93. I'm going to use a Bonesteel folder and Bonesteel PG for two of my 922r parts. Going to get the muzzle threaded and put a US made comp on it, then I will swap out my HTS with G2- easiest, cheapest etc....That makes me compliant and gets the rifle in a useful format.

But I will probably swap out the upper handguard too- will replace it with an Ultima, got to have a way to mount some kind of optic.... May or may not leave the original wood lower handguard at that point, see how it looks, may replace with black synthetic.

So far so good. The real issue though is in replacing the front sight tower and the gas block. Not sure if I want to go that far or not. If I do, what do I need to look for in compatible parts? I know there is a lot of variation in Ak's and especially once you throw in Milled vs. Stamped etc....Can I just use any front sight tower and gas block? Say from a Romanian G kit?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure someone else will chime in here about usable parts, but you need a gas block and front sight base from something with the same barrel diameter; AK47 parts will fit, AKM wont.
Here is mine with a Bonesteel stock and grip:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You can obviously deban your SA93 any way you want to, but most who deban an SA93 do so back to correct Type 3 form, as they are the only Bulgarian-made AK variant with the original T3 features.

This ties right into your question about the Front Sight Block and Gas Block, as the SA93 has the thicker T3 barrel and 45 degree Gas Block with vented gas tube. You therefore could not go with the more common SAM7 style components, as they accommodate the slightly thinner barrel. You would need the AK-47 components, which Kvar (part numbers below) refers to as the "Classic" components. If you want more info on the SA93, there is some more detailed info available on this link

BI-039  vs.  BI-040

AK-080B  vs.  AK-080BH

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#3]
My gun will end up looking a lot like if not almost exactly like Macs. I don't really care much about authenticity. I'm a shooter, I just want the rifle to be useful- it's not very practical as is. I'm not sure if I'll do the front sight and gas block as it doesn't add much functionality but will not be cheap to do.....
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have anything done to it, thread the muzzle, or pad the stock, because that aluminum buttplate starts to beat on you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I sent my SLR 95 to the Firing Line in Arkansas.  Mike Friend is a great gunsmith, and does awesome work.  He installed the lower tang and side scope mount.  It appears to be factory work.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top