Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/16/2015 9:48:44 PM EDT
I went into a local gun store with the basic basic plan of purchasing an AK74, and I specifically wanted an Arsenal.  The short version is I walked out with a brand spankin new SLR 106 FR.  The pitch went along the lines that 556 has a more certain supply here in the US.  Did I screw up here?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My first Arsenal was the 106FR. The only mistake is thinking it'll be your last Arsenal!

The only negative is the magazines are fairly expensive these days. But that's a buy-once, cry-once situation that goes away after you have "enough" stashed away.

Aside from that, they are a reliable and accurate AK rifle. My 106FR and UR are also great for shooting up the steel cased 223 some of my other rifles won't shoot.  Cheap food source!

Hope you enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one from a guy here...No regrets. Eats any ammo and is accurate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Also bought one from a member here. Awesome gun! My first AK. Always liked the platform but I shoot at an indoor range and brass 7.62x39 is expensive as hell. Plus I already reload 223 so the slr106 made more sense to me. You'll definitely enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
accurate,more so than I expected,reliable and whats there not to like:

1/7 twist chrome line hammer forged barrel

rock solid sidefolder stock

magazines that were designed for the rifle,not cheap but worth it IMHO

eats anything I feed it

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, what he said /|\ /|\ /|\ You done good! Super rifle, will eat anything. Just get be sure to buy the factory circle 10 magazines that are for the 106. I would go ahead and grab enough mags, availability has been spotty in the past. They are expensive but really well made. The black are more durable but I've good service with the clear ones also.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Its a great rifle   good choice !  I have the krink version in 556 and I love it     not a single failure !
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, some years back I bought a new Romanian SAR-3 chambered in 5.56.  

I had people telling me that 5.56-caliber ak rifles sucked.

BUT, using the recommended East German Weiger mags, it ran flawlessly and was plenty accurate.  

A WELL-BUILT ak using quality magazines will run just fine with decent 5.56 ammo.  

The former commblock countries can build ak-74s that are reliable (unlike most American-built ones) and they can build 5.56-caliber aks that are reliable too.  

You did just fine with your purchase.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
^^^

There seems to be some belief that "AKs aren't designed for 5.56". Personally I don't understand it. They weren't originally designed for 5.45x39 either, but then they were.

I've had discussions with people who basically refuse to believe any 5.56 AK is in use by a real military.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
the real issue is the taper of the 7.62x39 or in this case the 5.45 vs the 223/556 that caused issues in the earlier 223/556 AKs. Now that it has been solved by redesigning the bullet guide it's a non issue. Buy some good quality Bulgarian mags and enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
First off, Bulgarian AK's are awesome, just as good if not better than Russian AK's.  Russian and Bulgarian AK's are all I will buy and I've owned a lot of AK's. The Arsenal SLR-106 is the most accurate mass produced AK you're going to find.  I think the SLR-104 and SGL-31 are up there too, but the real advantage is 5.56 ammo.  You have brass cased ammo in different weights and match grade ammo available.  The 5.45 and 7.62 calibers can even come close to the quality of 5.56, that is their real limitation.  I think the other guns would be in the same league accuracy wise if not for that.  My SLR-106 shoots 1.0-1.5 moa with 55gr soft point crappy federal ammo.

Don't be down man, the SLR-106 is awesome, you're lucky to get one, I think they stopped importing them a while ago.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Refresh my memory:  Beginning with which "letter series" is the 106 series considered good-to-go regarding reliable feeding?  There was supposed to be an issue with earlier mags too, I think, but how to determine if a mag is an "earlier" or a "later" is beyond me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Refresh my memory:  Beginning with which "letter series" is the 106 series considered good-to-go regarding reliable feeding?  There was supposed to be an issue with earlier mags too, I think, but how to determine if a mag is an "earlier" or a "later" is beyond me.
View Quote

Read the sticky on top of the page concerning 556 feed ramp fix, pictures and explanation about the early mags.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for the good feedback.  Has anyone tried firing wolf WPA ammo in the rifle? My wife purchased about 500 rounds of it for me as a surprise.  I have tried it years ago in 9mm and found it to be somewhat dirty.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I only run brass in my rifle     this might be a 1 off but check it out

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/19-ammunition-reloading/167237-wolf-brown-bear-223-killed-my-slr-106-barrel-less-than-7000-rounds.html
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
There's been others that have gone to 15k without the barrel death
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Even though I don't doubt bimetal bullets do more wear over time, I also bet that guy was mag dumping a lot of that round count.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything post BD prefix is good to go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its a great rifle   good choice !  I have the krink version in 556 and I love it     not a single failure !
View Quote

Indeed - I have three krinks (two pistols and a rifle), as well as the CR variant.  They are good to go.  The only way you made a bad choice was if you overpaid - the 106's seem to go for pretty darn cheap (my UR rifle was $900 OTD, NIB - the CR rifle was $715 OTD with somewhere around 1k rounds through it).  I've also seen the pistols available for $500 before shipping/transfer, and I paid around $620-$650 for mine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

rifles with the "BD" prefix and later were good to go.

I use both gen mags and havent had issues but the first gen mags had grooves for stripper clip guides while the second gen eliminated these.

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top