Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/6/2015 2:49:16 PM EDT
I was storing my SA M-7 Classic in a dark colored gun sock (have since switched to "natural" gun sock) and now have some dark marks on the blonde furniture.  As a result of cleaning the marks off, I also removed some of the wood finish and now there are some lighter and less glossy patches on the stock.  I would like to refinish the stock either with the original finish or something that will keep the blonde color of the factory finish,

I did an internet search a found a couple of references to shellac as the original finish.  Can anyone tell me definitely if the factory finish is shellac?  If so, is it a colored shellac?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Im pretty sure its shellac and there is blonde and super blonde shellacs, im guessing its one of those.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im pretty sure its shellac and there is blonde and super blonde shellacs, im guessing its one of those.
View Quote

Sounds right.  Been looking at shellac colors on the internet.  I'll probably use blonde shellac.  I'll add coats until the color matches the hand guards.  Funny thing is that the color of the blonde furniture on the Classics often doesn't match.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad I saw this. I have had a SAS M-7 Classic stored in a black gun sock. I took it out last night and will not be storing it in one again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm glad I saw this. I have had a SAS M-7 Classic stored in a black gun sock. I took it out last night and will not be storing it in one again.
View Quote

Yes, the dye seems to rub off on light colored furniture.  I also had the problem (though not as bad) with an unissued Polish M44 Mosin Nagant which has honey colored furniture.  I'm now storing my Classic and M44 in "natural" sack-up's.  The fabric is a light cream color and doesn't appear to have dye in it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, the dye seems to rub off on light colored furniture.  I also had the problem (though not as bad) with an unissued Polish M44 Mosin Nagant which has honey colored furniture.  I'm now storing my Classic and M44 in "natural" sack-up's.  The fabric is a light cream color and doesn't appear to have dye in it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, thanks again for the heads up. You may have saved me some serious heartache. I had a light wood Norinco 56-1 and blonde Polyptych AKS-762 Spiker, both pre bans, in black socks too. So I took them out as well and will be looking for light socks. I would have been dissapointed if any or all of them got stained. Good luck with the refinish. Keep us posted and post some pics when your done.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
rubicon923 authentic Bulgarian AKs have black plastic furniture.  If I had wood furniture for my SA M7 (mine is black), I would spend a few bucks and get it professionally refinished in silver wood dye with a hard coat on top.  Silver wood dye is gray with an ever so slight dull metallic "shine" that comes out beautifully when finished with clear coat.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
rubicon923 authentic Bulgarian AKs have black plastic furniture.  If I had wood furniture for my SA M7 (mine is black), I would spend a few bucks and get it professionally refinished in silver wood dye with a hard coat on top.  Silver wood dye is gray with an ever so slight dull metallic "shine" that comes out beautifully when finished with clear coat.
View Quote

Not the classics
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top